Bama Players in the Transfer Portal (UPDATE: Petty & Kira Returning!!)

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal (Update: Petty & Giddens do the same)

Hawkins isn’t a sure thing yet. He’ll probably want to visit first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I say get him on the first plane here :)
Hopefully we can get him to come on A Day or something like that. Either way, I'm liking our chances.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

So say Bama does lose Lewis are there any point guards in the transfer portal that can play next season? I would think if he does leave we will need to look at adding two, obviously one for sure. Of the three signees we have coming in for next season none are point guards and it does not look like we are involved with any at this time.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Frankly, I believe our new coach is going to nix this discussion immediately starting today. If he is the leader he is reported to be then he has already started studying film and knows what he has and what he wants to keep. And I believe we keep who he wants. The dude has also been recruiting at Buffalo for the past 4 seasons and already has relationships with kids that were never even on our radar. Oats is known as a hard worker and I have seen where he is already recruiting players. There will be a roster shake-up for sure and a lot of familiar faces may be long gone. We shall see.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Oh... Duke and Memphis.... Yikes.... Wow, Memphis, Baylor and Nevada had in home visits with Kira... This is going to be tough than I thought it would be.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

Reading through this Goodman guy's twitter account it's just one transferring player after another. If the NCAA is so free granting waivers as they appear to be there is no telling what our roster, or that of any other school, will look like five months from now.

rtr

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Reading through this Goodman guy's twitter account it's just one transferring player after another. If the NCAA is so free granting waivers as they appear to be there is no telling what our roster, or that of any other school, will look like five months from now.

rtr
Are they actually granting waivers in basketball though? I know there’re doing it in football but I haven’t noticed it happening in basketball yet..

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

We haven't seen it yet, but the Justin Fields/Tate Martel thing has me wondering if it's about to be open season?

rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Are they actually granting waivers in basketball though? I know there’re doing it in football but I haven’t noticed it happening in basketball yet..
After granting Tate Martell a waiver, the NCAA will have attorneys knocking down its doors for not granting a basketball player’s request because his coach left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

yeah if Duke offers him it'd be hard to turn down.
His offer list was already pretty long when Avery landed him, including Kansas, so it isn't so much that he's going to jump at the first elite program to offer. It's more like Avery obviously developed a relationship with him. Oats has to figure that part out in a hurry.

What he's done in Buffalo is all well and good, but this is the first real test for him. He's not going up against mid-major coaches for Kira, he's going up against the likes of Duke. This is the kind of thing being at a power conference brings with it, and while his style and attitude sounds great, this is where the rubber meets the road. He's just got to produce results at a higher level now and if he passes this test it will be a big step forward.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

His offer list was already pretty long when Avery landed him, including Kansas, so it isn't so much that he's going to jump at the first elite program to offer. It's more like Avery obviously developed a relationship with him. Oats has to figure that part out in a hurry.

What he's done in Buffalo is all well and good, but this is the first real test for him. He's not going up against mid-major coaches for Kira, he's going up against the likes of Duke. This is the kind of thing being at a power conference brings with it, and while his style and attitude sounds great, this is where the rubber meets the road. He's just got to produce results at a higher level now and if he passes this test it will be a big step forward.
His players whipped the mess out of Arizona in last years NCAA tournament and Arizona State in this years tournament among other wins over power 5 schools (Syracuse). I'm not too worried about him going up against power 5 coaches.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

His players whipped the mess out of Arizona in last years NCAA tournament and Arizona State in this years tournament among other wins over power 5 schools (Syracuse). I'm not too worried about him going up against power 5 coaches.
Anthony Grant beat Kentucky when he was at VCU right? That's not at all what I'm talking about and not at all what it takes to win at the next level. You're developing a different set of athletes, you're recruiting a different set of athletes. That's why the transition doesn't always go well...

To give an example, Shaka Smart went to the Final Four at VCU, obviously beating some good teams along the way. He hasn't made it past the first round of the tournament at Texas, it's a completely different challenge.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Anthony Grant beat Kentucky when he was at VCU right? That's not at all what I'm talking about and not at all what it takes to win at the next level. You're developing a different set of athletes, you're recruiting a different set of athletes. That's why the transition doesn't always go well...

To give an example, Shaka Smart went to the Final Four at VCU, obviously beating some good teams along the way. He hasn't made it past the first round of the tournament at Texas, it's a completely different challenge.
It was Duke but I get your point and I don't necessarily disagree. You seem to be overly worried about things that should not be a worry at this point IMHO.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

No... it's not the first "real test" for him. He's been in "big boy basketball" for four years and he's taken down some talented teams. Honestly, I don't think you really get it here - the man takes 2 and 3 star players and is able to beat teams like Arizona and Syracuse. If you think all he's going to get here is 2/3 star players, then you're straining for reasons to doubt him. But... even if that were all he could get, I have no doubt we would see improvement in player development and discipline.

I'm not saying he's a slam dunk hire. There are way too many variables at this point to predict that accurately. However, what you're talking of here won't be areas of weakness for him. It's like saying when CAJ was hired "he won't be able to recruit well". Everyone who knew anything knew from day one he'd fine in recruiting - that it would come down to other things.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

It was Duke but I get your point and I don't necessarily disagree. You seem to be overly worried about things that should not be a worry at this point IMHO.
He's not overly worried - he just still can let go of the idea that we never should have fired Johnson last week.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I don't think you really get it here - the man takes 2 and 3 star players and is able to beat teams like Arizona and Syracuse. If you think all he's going to get here is 2/3 star players, then you're straining for reasons to doubt him. But... even if that were all he could get, I have no doubt we would see improvement in player development and discipline.
Which of those things couldn't have been said about Grant (and I was here voicing the same concerns then, so may be there is something I get)?

I hope Oats is the guy, but as I said Kira Lewis is a major test. We've been here before, I do get it. He has to be ready to make this step forward, or else he'll be like others who did the same exact things at mid-majors and didn't successfully make the leap forward. I'm not saying he can't, I hope he can, but he has to do it. This whole oh they won with lesser players thing so this will be a breeze part ignores all the times it didn't work out like that.

Also, I never had an issue firing Avery. I had an issue firing Avery and not having a proven replacement... I keep saying that.

Anyway, if he can get Kira to stay it will be a huge. If he can't, it will be disconcerting. That's all there is to it.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Unfortunately today's reality with kids is not can you do for me tomorrow, what can you do for me right now. I think Kira would flourish in this offense. He was clearly frustrated at times here. Kira, by far the mist consistent player on the roster and the most talented. Other schools are going to do everything they can to get him, but if we can keep him, we have the makings of a really good team next year. Oats seems to have a history of being a good judge of talent. He also has dipped into the JC market when needed. I hope more than anything Kira stays, but the world won't end if he leaves. I would guess it will be his parents making the final decision so hopefully Oats can get them on board.

The spineless NCAA and the media has made free agency a fact of life in collegiate athletics and it will only get worse. Transferring will become more and more commonplace when there is no penalty for the kids to sit out. But it is a double edged sword so we can pick up kids as well. In the long run, players are going to want to play in his system. Look at the 84 points a game his team averaged last year. If you spread that around 7 or 8 players and everyone is getting a chance to score in double figures any given night.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.