Link: Bama ranked 18th in the AP (week nine, 10-11 in other polls now)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
They moved EIGHT spots up ... heck of a way to jump into the top 25 ... last week they were 26th! Keep it going guys and keep buying in to what the Oats is cooking!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
FINALLY! I’ve watched more basketball games this season than I have in a while. Some of the other teams that have and have been ranked are there by their past historical teams. This basketball team is really gelling and is terrific on defense. Granted, with the way they chunk up the threes it only takes one off night and a loss will inevitably come. That said, they are driving much better and crashing the boards and doing the little things soooo much better than in years past. Really appreciate the job Coach Oats and the team is doing.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Nice to get the ranking. This makes the game at LSU even bigger with 1st place and higher rankings up for grabs.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I’m watching Kansas/Baylor right now to get a feel for how we stand. #2 vs #9. Baylor’s defense is stifling. Gonzaga looks like a legit #1 too. I’m just happy to be where we are at and hope we can just keep building on it.
The Zags, Baylor, and Villanova is this year's mark for what an elite team is. If we can get to that level this season, then the team has a legit shot to have a very deep run in the tourney. I agree with you, all this team needs to do is just focus on playing hard and getting better and the rest will handle itself.

Interesting note, Baylor's star PG was enrolled here but unfortunately wasn't able to get cleared medically here. It was one of the reasons why we pushed for Kira to reclassify to 2018.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Zags, Baylor, and Villanova is this year's mark for what an elite team is. If we can get to that level this season, then the team has a legit shot to have a very deep run in the tourney. I agree with you, all this team needs to do is just focus on playing hard and getting better and the rest will handle itself.

Interesting note, Baylor's star PG was enrolled here but unfortunately wasn't able to get cleared medically here. It was one of the reasons why we pushed for Kira to reclassify to 2018.
IDK how much they can improve on Tuesday. :) I have quibbles, but that's all. Shackleford needs to play a more disciplined game, give up the highlight layups through 3-4 taller defenders. Quinerly, to my surprise, tends to dribble too much and hold the ball too long, and also could be more unselfish with the ball all characteristics which I thought were anathema to Oats and his philosophy. When the PG stops distributing the ball, the other players tend to stop moving and just coagulate. As I said, they are doing so much right, these are just quibbles...

Reactions: TideEngineer08

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think the lane penetration for Shack is by request. If he has a passing lane he does (8 assists last game) and if he doesn’t he puts it up.

Not sure that’s his natural game. But maybe outside of Herb, he may be the best one to use for that role.

He’s getting fewer shots because of it. But his impact on the assist column has been impressive.

Reactions: day-day

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I agree about JQ, it seems like he has to take a minute to think about how he's going to penetrate instead of just attacking. When he gets in the lane, he's usually successful but it takes a minute for him to get there. The quicker he can get into the groove of attacking, the more dynamic our offense will become, sine it will open up passing lanes more for the slashers/players under the rim.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think the lane penetration for Shack is by request. If he has a passing lane he does (8 assists last game) and if he doesn’t he puts it up.

Not sure that’s his natural game. But maybe outside of Herb, he may be the best one to use for that role.

He’s getting fewer shots because of it. But his impact on the assist column has been impressive.
I just can't agree. It seems to me that, most of the time, he doesn't even look for an outlet. He just tries for a layup way high on the glass. Occasionally, it goes in. More often, it's blocked, even though there are easy outlet assists available. This is a general impression. I'll start counting. I'm much more comfortable with him when he's shooting outside, where he may be the best or maybe second to Petty...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IDK how much they can improve on Tuesday. :) I have quibbles, but that's all. Shackleford needs to play a more disciplined game, give up the highlight layups through 3-4 taller defenders. Quinerly, to my surprise, tends to dribble too much and hold the ball too long, and also could be more unselfish with the ball all characteristics which I thought were anathema to Oats and his philosophy. When the PG stops distributing the ball, the other players tend to stop moving and just coagulate. As I said, they are doing so much right, these are just quibbles...
Agree about JQ...I think this type of "showboating" is what kinda got him in trouble at Nova, but when he plays within the system he's great!

On Shack...I agree he seems to "force" a lot of drives but he's really strong with the ball in traffic and he gets fouled a lot and is a good FT shooter. These are two integral parts of CNO's system: dribble drive to shoot layups and get to the FT line if you get fouled. I think other than Herb, Shack is probably the best/strongest dribble drive player we've got...better than JQ. Shack plays bigger than he looks and is stronger than he looks IMO. I do agree he needs to improve on the drive and dish part of CNO's MO. There was one play Tuesday night when he did that and found a wide open shooter from 3 and, of course, we made it.

BTW, Shack's outside shooting has fallen off...even his attempts so I wonder too if this is part of the design of how CNO is using him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Agree about JQ...I think this type of "showboating" is what kinda got him in trouble at Nova, but when he plays within the system he's great!

On Shack...I agree he seems to "force" a lot of drives but he's really strong with the ball in traffic and he gets fouled a lot and is a good FT shooter. These are two integral parts of CNO's system: dribble drive to shoot layups and get to the FT line if you get fouled. I think other than Herb, Shack is probably the best/strongest dribble drive player we've got...better than JQ. Shack plays bigger than he looks and is stronger than he looks IMO. I do agree he needs to improve on the drive and dish part of CNO's MO. There was one play Tuesday night when he did that and found a wide open shooter from 3 and, of course, we made it.

BTW, Shack's outside shooting has fallen off...even his attempts so I wonder too if this is part of the design of how CNO is using him.
IDK. Oats' remark in the presser about his being one of the best shooters on the team made me wonder. He may be doing exactly what Oats wants...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IDK. Oats' remark in the presser about his being one of the best shooters on the team made me wonder. He may be doing exactly what Oats wants...
His shooting reminds me of Petty at this point of his career. He's streaky. Some games he almost disappears, but the upside to Shack is he's still valuable when he's outside shot if off. I think Petty is just now figuring out how to be part of a game when his 3 point shot fails him.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I love having 5 shooters in the game. After so many years of zero ;)
But some of the older players who are now good shooters where on some of those teams that didn't have any shooters.

Part of it is simply CNO "empowering" these players to shoot and not worry about consequences!

FWIW, I think CNO will recruit even better shooters in the future. Think about that!

Reactions: mlingerfelt31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.