Bama Teams on the 9's - (79, 89, 99, 2009, 2019)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No much Bama football news to discuss (which is probably a good thing this time of the year), so I got to thinking about this years team and how every year ending in a 9 since 1979 we've had some pretty good teams.

1979 - 12-0 (Coach Bryant's last NC team, beat AK in Sugar for NC) AP #1
1989 - 10-2 (Coach Curry's best team, losses to Auburn and NC Miami, AP #1)
1999 - 10-3 (Coach Dubose's best team, losses to LaTech, Tenn. and Michigan)
2009 - 14-0 (CNS' only undefeated team) BCS NC
2019 - ???

Thoughts about these teams?

1979 the practical end of an era, the defense didn't give up many points that year
1989 gotta wonder "what if we beat Auburn?"
1999 the most frustrating of all these "9" teams. Makes you ask "What could have been?" - Lost to LaTech but beat a good UF team twice. Got Tom Bradyed in the bowl game.
2009 - blue-collar, gritty team
2019 - I can't not see thru my Crimson colored glasses but I think this team can be the best of these "9" teams.

Bonus Question: How bad would 2009 or 2019 teams beat the other "9" teams?

Extra Bonus Question: Bama 2009 team vs. 2019 team???

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No much Bama football news to discuss (which is probably a good thing this time of the year), so I got to thinking about this years team and how every year ending in a 9 since 1979 we've had some pretty good teams.

1979 - 12-0 (Coach Bryant's last NC team, beat AK in Sugar for NC) AP #1
1989 - 10-2 (Coach Curry's best team, losses to Auburn and NC Miami, AP #1)
1999 - 10-3 (Coach Dubose's best team, losses to LaTech, Tenn. and Michigan)
2009 - 14-0 (CNS' only undefeated team) BCS NC
2019 - ???

Thoughts about these teams?

1979 the practical end of an era, the defense didn't give up many points that year
1989 gotta wonder "what if we beat Auburn?"
1999 the most frustrating of all these "9" teams. Makes you ask "What could have been?" - Lost to LaTech but beat a good UF team twice. Got Tom Bradyed in the bowl game.
2009 - blue-collar, gritty team
2019 - I can't not see thru my Crimson colored glasses but I think this team can be the best of these "9" teams.

Bonus Question: How bad would 2009 or 2019 teams beat the other "9" teams?

Extra Bonus Question: Bama 2009 team vs. 2019 team???
FWIW, we won the SEC title in all those but 2019 (since it hasn't happened yet).

Wasn’t quite born yet in 79.

89 is when I became a big Bama fan. I was in the 4th grade. Should have beaten Aub. Didn’t get to see the Sugar.

99, I can’t understand that team. Win the SEC but those losses.

2009 Magical season. First game back in Tuscaloosa since 2001. I just knew we were gonna win it all. That feeling was a great one. Undefeated season. One of Bama’s all time greatest. Heisman winner.

2019, repeat of 2009!

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
1979 - I was 1 year old, so I can't really make a fair statement about this team.

1989 - Really fun team to watch that unfortunately lost 2 heartbreakers at the end.

1999 - The Chris Samuels and Shaun Alexander show featuring Freddie Milons. They lost 3 games they shouldn't have.... but also won 10 games they wouldn't have without the 3 players mentioned above.

2009 - One of my favorite Alabama teams of All-Time. Maybe not the most talented team by recent CNS standards but they absolutely got this entire Dynasty started and they were a cohesive TEAM on both sides of the ball.

2019 - I'm hoping for a 15-0 NC season.... and one that includes going through Clemson.... and I mean like a Tin Horn.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
My other Alma Mater is La Tech and I remember that 99 Bama game like it was yesterday. Tech beat Bama in 1997 too. That being said I feel great about 2019 and what we can accomplish.

That '89 team was really good and fun to watch. Hollingsworth could sling it. Siran Stacy, Lamonde Russell, Marco Battle and Kevin Turner were all outstanding. SEC co-champions with AU and UT. They were down on the road vs Ole Miss 21-0 in the 1st quarter and came back to win 62-27. In the Miami game the Bama D had 5 take-aways, only the refs nulled and voided 2 of them on some of the most horrendous calls ever. Miami scored their 1st and last TD's on redzone possessions resulting from the BS. Today's replay would have over-turned both.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I agree with you BamaBeno about the 89 team. You are correct the officials in the 89 Miami game were horrible, the best team did not win that game. As far as Auburn that season that game just was not meant to be. It was the first time ever Bama played them in the pasture and also the Tigers were just absolute kriptonite to Curry he simple could not beat them. They were fun to watch though and could light the scoreboards up with anyone. 99 was another fun team to watch but at the same time could be so aggrevating to watch as well. Beat the Gators twice and then lost to the like of LA Tech. They took the Brady led Wolverines to overtime and lost by a missed extra point in the Orange bowl, which is ironic since a second chance extra point in Gainesville is one of the things that helped get us there. I don't remember 79 was a little too young. 2009 in my opinion is certainly one of the best teams to put on the crimson very fun team to watch.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Wow. Interesting idea about the 9's!

79-I was in 6th grade that season growing up in Pensacola. A Sugar Bowl win over Lou Holthth and Arkansas seemed inevitable, and it was. Little did we know it was the last time this level of success would seem inevitable for a long, long time.

89- my senior year at UA. After a season of endless toss sweeps and a loss to Memphis, Curry handed over the keys to the offense to the brilliant Homer Smith and the whole game changed. Sadly, the deck was stacked against us the last 2 games. Curry's 3d straight loss to Auburn. My only memory of the Sugar Bowl game besides the loss was Curry yanking on Prince Wimbley's face mask for celebrating a completion too much.

99-what an insane season. The 2 wins over UF and Steve Superior were especially sweet, especially the curb stomping in the SEC title game. The only downside about this season is that it gave a false impression of Mike DuBose's abilities as a head coach. This season was also the subject of the wonderful book Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer.

09-What can you say? Perfection. I watch that SEC title game at least once a year and revel in the humiliation of Sub-Urban Meyer and the Tears of Tebow.

19-It'll be fun to watch. Would dearly love a revenge-game beatdown of Clemson - just check Dabo and the gang for PED's before hand.....

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
That '89 team was really good and fun to watch. Hollingsworth could sling it. Siran Stacy, Lamonde Russell, Marco Battle and Kevin Turner were all outstanding. SEC co-champions with AU and UT. They were down on the road vs Ole Miss 21-0 in the 1st quarter and came back to win 62-27. In the Miami game the Bama D had 5 take-aways, only the refs nulled and voided 2 of them on some of the most horrendous calls ever. Miami scored their 1st and last TD's on redzone possessions resulting from the BS. Today's replay would have over-turned both.
I remember watching the 89 game. On the first series in the 3rd quarter we moved the ball well, especially on the ground. Siran Stacey ran the ball for 9 yards on 1st down and we tried passes on 2nd and 3rd down, both incompletions at the 30 with a 10-7 lead. We missed the field goal attempt and I knew then and there we were going to lose the game. The barn regained momentum after stopping us on that series and went on to score making it 14-10.

We had our chances in the first half and the third quarter but it wasn't meant to be.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1999 - The Chris Samuels and Shaun Alexander show featuring Freddie Milons. They lost 3 games they shouldn't have.... but also won 10 games they wouldn't have without the 3 players mentioned above.
The only one I think we shouldn't have lost was LA Tech. The Tennessee game was more about Shaun getting hurt against the defending champs. So it was an understandable loss.

The Michigan game was a game vs two teams that should've been playing in NOLA instead of Miami, and would've if it wasn't for them having donkeys for coaches... But we couldn't stop Brady to save our lives that night. Both teams were far better teams than the ones that played for it that year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A couple of additional thoughts:

89: A few mentioned Gary Hollingsworth. He's one of my favorite Alabama qbs. What if somebody like Scott Cochran got a hold on him?

99: Agree with whoever said that season set Dubose up for failure. I distinctly remember going into the 2000 season with such high hopes. I think we started with a preseason ranking in the AP at about #3 and then we went to UCLA and they dominated and embarrassed us. That was Dubose's 3-8 season IIRC.

09: 50 to 100 years from now, historians will probably say the 09 NC team was one of the most important in Bama history setting the stage for what has been the most dominant decade in Bama history. Hope we finish it off with another NC this year!!!:BigA:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
First Bama team to win 15 games in one season
SEC Champs
National Champs
Heisman Trophy winner

What more could you ask for?
:BigA:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
09: 50 to 100 years from now, historians will probably say the 09 NC team was one of the most important in Bama history setting the stage for what has been the most dominant decade in college football history. Hope we finish it off with another NC this year!!!:BigA:
FIFY.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I was at the the Bama- aubie games in 1999 and 2009. Both excellent efforts on Bama's part to pull them out and win the SEC West and go to ATL to whip Florida on both trips.

Counting on a repeat in 2019 plus a NC. Roll Tide!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The only one I think we shouldn't have lost was LA Tech. The Tennessee game was more about Shaun getting hurt against the defending champs. So it was an understandable loss.

The Michigan game was a game vs two teams that should've been playing in NOLA instead of Miami, and would've if it wasn't for them having donkeys for coaches... But we couldn't stop Brady to save our lives that night. Both teams were far better teams than the ones that played for it that year.
Samuels not playing didn't help.

I know he was hurt and had the NFL to think about but.......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I agree with you BamaBeno about the 89 team. You are correct the officials in the 89 Miami game were horrible, the best team did not win that game.

I half agree with you here. I agree the calls were wretched.

But I've never doubted Miami was by far the better team that year, too.

Let me put it this way: put Curry as head coach of Miami and Erickson at Alabama......and Miami still wins the game. True, they didn't play anything resembling their best game that night, but they did hold our high powered offense to 25 points.....8 of those in the closing seconds.

As far as Auburn that season that game just was not meant to be. It was the first time ever Bama played them in the pasture and also the Tigers were just absolute kriptonite to Curry he simple could not beat them. They were fun to watch though and could light the scoreboards up with anyone.

1989 Auburn is probably the most painful loss in the history of Alabama football. In one half of football, a great season, a possible national title, an undisputed SEC title, and God knows what else went up in smoke.......and on their real estate.

99 was another fun team to watch but at the same time could be so aggrevating to watch as well. Beat the Gators twice and then lost to the like of LA Tech. They took the Brady led Wolverines to overtime and lost by a missed extra point in the Orange bowl, which is ironic since a second chance extra point in Gainesville is one of the things that helped get us there. I don't remember 79 was a little too young. 2009 in my opinion is certainly one of the best teams to put on the crimson very fun team to watch.

1999 was a fun year after the La Tech game. But it should have been a warning shot across the bow, too. DuBose basically pulled a Gene Chizik "rabbit out of the hat" year. In 2010, Auburn won 7 games by a single score. In 1999, DuBose went 4-2 in games that came down to the last play, and the MSU game had an artificially inflated final score as it was a defensive slugfest right down to the final minutes.

And a lot of people forget that we only led Florida by 8 entering the fourth quarter of the SEC title game. Our only touchdown prior to the fourth quarter was a toss in the final seconds of the first half. The Milons dash and the Pick Six by Grimes in an 18-second sequence turned a one-score game into a 28-7 rout.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.