Bama Game Thread: Bama v Gonzaga - Sat 12N CST CBS CM Newton Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Did not get a chance to watch but obviously we got into a shoot out like we did against Carolina but this time came up short. Looks like turnovers was the big difference. Although apparently Gonzaga could not miss in the 2nd half. Oh well looking our schedule if you would have told me before the season started that we would have 2 losses at this point in our schedule. I would have told you I would gladly take it. On to the next one Roll Tide.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Some have said we got outcoached, but 21 turnovers against a sound team and lose by 10 is actually pretty good. We really miss Burnett. He is a calming influence and a lock down defender. We simply do not have that right now. Our defense does not look the same since he left the lineup. Think Griffin has the ability to fill the same role, but he is not there yet. When a team shoots the way they did, you are going to lose 9 times out of ten. We had no answer for an experienced player like Timme. There is nothing to be ashamed of, but we need to find someone who is sound and doesn't turn the ball over as much. Q needs to get his mojo back.. We have too many who are making unforced turnovers. Today wasn't our day, but we are still awfully good. I trust Oats to correct the problems and find the right mix to defend better.

BTW, Gotta stop playing in Birmingham. We are O-fer there in the CM newton game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
2nd half turnovers were about even.

Zags were a bit under 50% shooting at halftime. Ended the game at 57%. They had to shoot 62-65% in the second half to do that.

Tough to beat that kind of shooting.
Just off the top of my head during the second half I said that must be shooting over 60% in the half.

When a team shoots that well you just have to tip your cap and say good game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just a thought about our TO's. I admit it is a problem. Just looking at the stat line and the Zags took a lot more shots than us and much of that is due to extra possessions from TOs.

However, we play a style of basketball that asks our players (especially guards) to make harder passes than more conventional offenses. For instance, when we drive to the hoop we break almost every conventional rule; we drive into traffic, we sometimes leave our feet, we even drive into the baseline and jump up/out of bounds. We do all of this to create passing angles and lanes for shooters in the corners.

Sure, I'd like to see us clean up some of these TOs but I think the nature of CNO's style of basketball induces some of this.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
As much as I love Oats, Few kind of took him to school today.
Well we scored 90 so it works both ways. Does that mean Oats also took Few to school? Gonzaga has a 6 year college player starting at the 5 spot. Our inexperience showed today. With that said, Zags shot 72% in the 2nd half. I don’t care how good the looks are, most college teams don’t shoot 72% in shoot around. Saying Few took him to school is kind of a lazy take.

Last edited:

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
We started off good but man Gonzaga’s mid-range game is deadly. Combine that with the inability to defend Timme in the paint killed us. I don’t recall ever seeing a team consistently hit floaters with ease

Reactions: day-day and oskie

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Haven't had time to read through the thread, so I'll likely repeat some things already covered. Really had a good time at the game, a terrific atmosphere, just needed one or two shots to fall and the lid was ready to come off the arena - just couldn't hit the big shot. Too bad Sears had probably his worst outing in crimson. Turnovers, ugh, we had too many (21), especially in the 1st half. Zags made 9 more baskets on 10 more shots. They just didn't miss enough in the 2nd half for us to get over the hump. Didn't care how many Timme scored, he was going to get his, it was their supporting cast that did us in today - really missed Burnett's defense. Personally, I had Timme fouled out at halftime, stupid refs...

Brandon Miller is more than worth the price of admission, go see him play - while you can.

All in all, I was proud of our youngsters. I thought the moment might have been too big for them but that wasn't the case. They're only going to get better as the season progresses.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Gonzaga shot better. They made their buckets. They are tall at the guard positions. Sears had a tough game, he was due for one. Namari out hurt us. They beat us today. It happens.

but for our football posters who showed up for this thread, try to analyze the game. So many try to analyze the program and it’s flaws.

To see people questioning Oats? And his approach? And even suggestions to change it?

That’s hilarious. Our style leads to more possessions. Those lead to more turnovers. Just how it is.

we had way too many in the first half. That’s been a theme for this young team. It’s improving.

Miller had a great game, but in turn may have cost us the game. We quit getting others involved. Learning experience.

focus more on the game. These threads aren’t for people to complain about the Top 5-10 program with a Coach taking us to a third NCAA in a row with a 75% new team.

Then again we have posters trying to tell a 7x Champion who to hire and how to run a program. So I shouldn’t be surprised

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Haven't had time to read through the thread, so I'll likely repeat some things already covered. Really had a good time at the game, a terrific atmosphere, just needed one or two shots to fall and the lid was ready to come off the arena - just couldn't hit the big shot. Too bad Sears had probably his worst outing in crimson. Turnovers, ugh, we had too many (21), especially in the 1st half. Zags made 9 more baskets on 10 more shots. They just didn't miss enough in the 2nd half for us to get over the hump. Didn't care how many Timme scored, he was going to get his, it was their supporting cast that did us in today - really missed Burnett's defense. Personally, I had Timme fouled out at halftime, stupid refs...

Brandon Miller is more than worth the price of admission, go see him play - while you can.

All in all, I was proud of our youngsters. I thought the moment might have been too big for them but that wasn't the case. They're only going to get better as the season progresses.
You could sense the crowd was ready to explode even from watching on TV. Every doggone time it felt that way they made a big shot OR forced a TO.

Also, good call on Sears. He was 1 of 8 in the first half I think. If he just hits a couple of those deep balls it could have got a great run started. Basically, their supporting cast made theirs and ours didn't.

Folks in the game thread were ragging Timme, but man, when your 7 footer is guarding him, sometimes getting help with your 6' 10" forward and he still scores and scores a lot you have to just finally admit he's a player.

And yes, BM is just special. First game he's kinda taken over offensively for us (I think he scored 36). People are comparing him to Durant because of his size, but there are elements of his game that actually remind me of the goat, MJ (especially his short range diversity, which we saw more of in the game).

Reactions: Con and oskie

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
Gonzaga shot better. They made their buckets. They are tall at the guard positions. Sears had a tough game, he was due for one. Namari out hurt us. They beat us today. It happens.

but for our football posters who showed up for this thread, try to analyze the game. So many try to analyze the program and it’s flaws.

To see people questioning Oats? And his approach? And even suggestions to change it?

That’s hilarious. Our style leads to more possessions. Those lead to more turnovers. Just how it is.

we had way too many in the first half. That’s been a theme for this young team. It’s improving.

Miller had a great game, but in turn may have cost us the game. We quit getting others involved. Learning experience.

focus more on the game. These threads aren’t for people to complain about the Top 5-10 program with a Coach taking us to a third NCAA in a row with a 75% new team.

Then again we have posters trying to tell a 7x Champion who to hire and how to run a program. So I shouldn’t be surprised
Maybe the "football posters" with illegitimate opinions will quit coming to the site now that they've been called out for their lack of judgment or knowledge.

Reactions: BamaMike05
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.