Bama Game Thread: Bama vs Houston uh I mean Western Kentucky game thread

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I will probably get banned but the truth is this. We have no fundamentals (missing layups consistently, no block outs on boards, playing sloppy defense and not moving our feet, making lazy passes, and looking like we have never seen a basketball before.) And this has been going on for years now. Blame it on whatever but I for one am tired of watching this mess. Something needs to change somewhere.
You aren't wrong.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Pretty much sums up how I'm feeling:

Bottom line, they currently have a winning record which is a plus. But unfortunately we are letting a lot of opportunities slip past us AGAIN in the OCC portion of the season. We should be in the top 25 or close to it with only one loss being to Stanford.

Some of the issues are perplexing but at the same time they are issues that can be fixed. It's up to them as a team to fix them though. It's on no one else but them. The good thing is they still have time to get some of these things corrected but that time will get shorter as the season goes on.

Oh and BTW, the women are now 7-0

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Bassey exceeded my expectations in this one. Expected him to feast, but 27 and 12 is just ridiculous. Guy is a gamebreaker.

Hard to get a handle on Bama's shooting. Sometimes teams known for shooting have off days or weeks. Bama's shooters have off months. Hope this gets rectified. When they're off, they can't hit water if they were in a boat in the middle of the gulf. Consistency is difficult to bake in, though I'm sure CNO is trying his damndest.

I expected the forwards to get savaged on the defensive end yesterday. With Bassey, that was always going to happen. Bama's backcourt just hasn't gotten it together like they need to.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Rojas started and then played 10 minutes. Was he hurt? I didn’t notice anything and then late in the first half wondered what happened. I couldn’t decide if it was an injury or some of those poor shot selections he took.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I keep getting my hopes up. This was another very disappointing loss.
Same here. I was so optimistic about this team and season. I compared last years roster with this years roster and it should be night and day difference other than losing Kira. We had heard that JQ was one of the better players on the team last year so I thought he would be good enough, especially with the upgraded talent around him, to replace Kira. I'm not picking on JQ specifically because there have been several disappointments so far. In fact, I can't think of one player that has even met my expectations so far other than Primo and Herb. Speaking of Herb, I love the guy but I don't like him at PG. JP appears to have made a huge mistake by coming back this season. There is still time to turn it around and I hope he does but at the moment he has digressed significantly.

BamaBooey

Scout Team
Jan 29, 2020
hmm...I remember posting about how this team will be another bubble team come February after our 2nd game, and yet, I was told to be trolling. IMO, CNO should've cut loose everybody but Herb from previous regime this offseason aka Petty and Reese. Going to leave personal opinions of the two out except that wishes Petty "went pro" and Reese transferred. This team has no real upperclassmen leadership right now IMO, and sometimes it's best just to start over fresh.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Hard to get a handle on Bama's shooting. Sometimes teams known for shooting have off days or weeks. Bama's shooters have off months. Hope this gets rectified. When they're off, they can't hit water if they were in a boat in the middle of the gulf. Consistency is difficult to bake in, though I'm sure CNO is trying his damndest.
John Petty is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. If he's hot, he can be hotter than fire, but if he's not he throws up enough bricks to build a house.

For someone with decent shooting mechanics, I've never seen a "shooter" so unpredictable.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
John Petty is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. If he's hot, he can be hotter than fire, but if he's not he throws up enough bricks to build a house.

For someone with decent shooting mechanics, I've never seen a "shooter" so unpredictable.
One thing I've notices is they rush their mechanics while shooting the three – there's a difference between "playing fast" verses "rushing shots" Unfortunately we've been in a habit of rushing shots verses stepping into their shots.

There's been a weird disconnect with that for them for some reason. Not sure why. Its like they are so focused in playing fast, that they forget sound basketball mechanics. Hopefully they will make that connection soon. They did with the Providence and UNLV games so its not like they can't do it. The challenge is they have gone away from it for some reason. And if I remember correctly, a majority of their shots aren't contested. they just rush them.

Hopefully we can get back to correcting this against East Tenn State tomorrow. A win against them will make us 5-3 heading into conference play.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One thing I've notices is they rush their mechanics while shooting the three – there's a difference between "playing fast" verses "rushing shots" Unfortunately we've been in a habit of rushing shots verses stepping into their shots.

There's been a weird disconnect with that for them for some reason. Not sure why. Its like they are so focused in playing fast, that they forget sound basketball mechanics. Hopefully they will make that connection soon. They did with the Providence and UNLV games so its not like they can't do it. The challenge is they have gone away from it for some reason. And if I remember correctly, a majority of their shots aren't contested. they just rush them.

Hopefully we can get back to correcting this against East Tenn State tomorrow. A win against them will make us 5-3 heading into conference play.
We talked about this back after the first couple of games. They've got the "go fast" part down, but they have not settled into a rhythm that requires staying under control.

It's obvious in their shot selection AND in trying to drive to the basket when there is absolutely nothing there.

I still think CNO's method will work here...but it's still being ironed out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.