Bama Game Thread: Bama vs Jax State - Fri 8p CST SECN

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
The key this year is that we have 3 PGs and a stud 3. Two 4’s that love to rebound and two solid catch and shoot 2s.
The thought crossed my mind watching Quinerly that this year maybe he doesn't feel like he has to be as much of a scorer with all the other guys we now have, so he can be more a Chris Paul rather than an Allen Iverson. He definitely knows the offense better than anyone on the team. 8 assists in 17 minutes is pretty gaudy.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The thought crossed my mind watching Quinerly that this year maybe he doesn't feel like he has to be as much of a scorer with all the other guys we now have, so he can be more a Chris Paul rather than an Allen Iverson. He definitely knows the offense better than anyone on the team. 8 assists in 17 minutes is pretty gaudy.
Agreed and JQ looks great. Looks like his speed and quickness is about what it was. I liked the look with Sears and JQ on the floor at the same time. The only time I saw Sears was against S. Ala and he did not shoot well and I told BamaMike I thought JQ should start but not sure now. With Bradley also we are loaded at PG. Very excited about this teams potential.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree on JQ. I thought he tried to do way more than he's able to do last year. If he'll concentrate on being a distributor and 3 point shooter, he'll help this team the most.

Last night was the first time I've seen this team play and I picked a great game to watch!

Miller is incredible...what a player!

I couldn't keep up with all the new players...we are deep!

We'll find out more next week with the better competition, but this team has a chance to win the SEC again. Maybe more!

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
It looks like Clowney is taking his minutes. It also looks like Clowney is taking minutes from Bediako.
Last night was a matchup thing. Jax State’s big was picking and popping and we needed more athleticism at the 5, to guard the perimeter. I would look for that more often this year when we play a big that can play on the perimeter.

Reactions: TexasBama

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Tonight, Alabama looked the best it's looked in a long time -- since at least the 2020-21 season. Shot lights out from 3, and especially in the second half had shutdown defense. I know it's Jacksonville State, but I'm telling you, when those guys get it going, they can shoot.

Also, a huge improvement over last year is the reduction in fouls.

And they seem to enjoy playing with each other.

Sears is a decent 1. But we're better with Quinerly at the 1, and Sears at the 2. I know Bradley was the #1 PG in the country out of high school, but he's not Q. Not yet, anyway. Q's knee is on a time limit now, but when it can handle a whole game, we'll be formidable.

We won't have Burnett or Miller after this year, so come to a game and see it while you can.

Someday, I'd like to sit down with Nate Oats over an adult beverage and discuss what happened with last year's team, given all the talent.
Burnett is a soph I believe. Where is he going?

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Plus Bradley is a guy that can bull his way to the rim. And his wingspan on defense is insane.

Having 3 PGs who can all get to the rim allows us to go small whenever we want.

or we can go Charles, Gurley, Clowney,Miller and Sears and be HUGE.

the ability to adapt to whoever we play is a major thing.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
How does Miles fit in if he gets over what ails him? I was hoping he would continue to improve and play like he did in good moments last season. He seems to have a good attitude
He frustrates me. He’s not strong enough. He is always on the floor, but not in a scrappy way, more of a clumsy way.

I would imagine his over/under last year wasn’t very good. Personally he would not see many minutes. But that’s me.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I would imagine his over/under last year wasn’t very good.
I've never been able to find +/- like they put in NBA box scores. Basketball Reference has a stat called Box plus/minus in their advanced stats, but it's year-to-date. Miles wasn't bad last year, middling at best. For comparison you can change seasons at the top of the page. Miller is 5th in the country in this stat. But I don't see Miles getting minutes from anyone except maybe Gurley.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
We have one of our bigger tests Friday in the Phil Knight Invitational against Michigan State. MSU is in the top 15 right now so a win against them would be huge and go a long way for the Big Dance. We have the playing style to beat them but it won't be an easy feat.

EDIT: The game is this THURSDAY night at 9:30pm

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
We have one of our bigger tests Friday in the Phil Knight Invitational against Michigan State. MSU is in the top 15 right now so a win against them would be huge and go a long way for the Big Dance. We have the playing style to beat them but it won't be an easy feat.

Man, I'm looking forward to this game! I finally was able to watch a recording of the Jville game. WOW. We are loaded. Miller is NBA-ready now, along with JQ. Lots of great role-players, too. Along with great shooters. And we defend. We've got a chance for something special with this group.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.