Bama Game Thread: BAMA vs Sooners 'Can't win em all boys' postgame edition

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The mugging started with Vandy at their place where we didn't play well but won. We get tuem at home again this weekend. It's been the theme for every following game. And we have had a degraded response in each subsequent game.

Someone needs to become the enforcer...

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
All I can say ouch the good thing right we are undefeated in SEC we will bounce back cannot win them all lets sweep Vanderbilt

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It sure didn’t take long for the Eeyore crowd to show up. I don’t have the patience to deal with the negative stuff. I’ll ask you to please keep it at a minimum.

The “drive-by” shots taken at the team aren’t welcome. Stay and offer some context and some insight. But just random putdowns and public venting just drag it all down.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Somebody been feeding these players rat poison.
They have a teammate that is charged with murder. They have 4 freshmen and 8 of their 11 players getting first year time in a Bama uni. There are multiple alphas all navigating a space.

Some are hitting a freshmen wall. Some are dealing with Miles. Some may just be tired. Some are dealing with being the hunted.

perhaps it’s the opponents that are getting higher to play us.

They have far more to deal with than such a simple take.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
They have a teammate that is charged with murder. They have 4 freshmen and 8 of their 11 players getting first year time in a Bama uni. There are multiple alphas all navigating a space.

Some are hitting a freshmen wall. Some are dealing with Miles. Some may just be tired. Some are dealing with being the hunted.

perhaps it’s the opponents that are getting higher to play us.

They have far more to deal with than such a simple take.
The "reading their own press clippings" and "rat poison" takes are quite lazy. There might be a little truth to it but overall we just didn't handle OU being physical, with us, very well. OU also needed this game much more than we did. This was OU's shot to get an OOC signature win. Even with this loss, we are still a projected 1 seed. What we have done now is just given ourselves no real margin for error. We just don't need to drop a game in the SEC that we shouldn't.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I've waited a couple days to comment because that was a rough defeat.

I'm optimistic that we can regroup but it's going to require our guys to reset their mindset and for CNO to come up with some adjustments for how teams are attacking us now.

This team has shown a lot of Mental toughness and resiliency this year so it's not time to panic yet.

I'd like to see Pringle play a lot more when teams up the physicality against us.

We have to get physically tougher as a team too when playing thug ball teams. It seems like we have to find a way to be able to flip that switch when the game starts out as a street fight.

One thing I am really encouraged about is the emerging play of Griffen.

In the last 5 games he's averaging 9.4 PPG and is 11 for 28 (39.3%) from 3-Point range.

If Clowney and Sears can regain their 3 Point shot from the previous couple of months then we have the potential to be lethal on Offense.

It's a long season though, so hopefully this defeat was just a bump in the road and not a bad sign.

Roll Tide

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
It sure didn’t take long for the Eeyore crowd to show up. I don’t have the patience to deal with the negative stuff. I’ll ask you to please keep it at a minimum.

The “drive-by” shots taken at the team aren’t welcome. Stay and offer some context and some insight. But just random putdowns and public venting just drag it all down.
I said the same thing on Saturday night. It’s funny when certain posters only show up when something goes wrong.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
The "reading their own press clippings" and "rat poison" takes are quite lazy. There might be a little truth to it but overall we just didn't handle OU being physical, with us, very well. OU also needed this game much more than we did. This was OU's shot to get an OOC signature win. Even with this loss, we are still a projected 1 seed. What we have done now is just given ourselves no real margin for error. We just don't need to drop a game in the SEC that we shouldn't.
OU was (and is) playing to get off the NCAA tourney bubble.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I am not going to lie. That one hurt. Thought the game was allowed to become a scrum and fouls that were called in other games were simply ignored Saturday. 2 calls for flops was nothing short of ridiculous. That said, we didn't have the right mindset or effort in this game. We can out talent some teams but when the other teams shoots the way they did coupled with the lackluster effort defensively, we were never going to win.

We have to get back in rhythm against what has always been a tough game for us against, Vandy. We can't let one game define our season, What happens Tuesday night will go a long ways to determining how we finish IMHO.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
Score was ugly but they shot 58% from the field and 69% from three. Couple that with a poor shooting day from us and it's quite easy to see how that snowballed. We will be fine. OU won't shoot that well again the rest of the season.

Reactions: dathbama

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

This is why people need to relax a bit.
Despite the big loss, we are still the number two overall seed in the tournament.

If it’s at all possible, that loss may have been one of the best things that could happen to this team. We take no real hit in the net rankings, yet get humbled on national television.

One thing to keep in mind is that scoring margins matter a lot to the NET, but the NET itself does not get used to make decisions about selections and seedings. A team's own NET ranking is nowhere near as important as the NET rankings of its opponents, which are used to decide in which quadrant an opponent is placed on the team sheet.

When the committee debates teams for selection and seeding, the margin of victory does not get much attention. So the loss by Alabama on Saturday and Kansas' loss to TCU last week will not be as bad in the eyes of the committee as the score might indicate.
[\QUOTE]

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Despite the big loss, we are still the number two overall seed in the tournament.

If it’s at all possible, that loss may have been one of the best things that could happen to this team. We take no real hit in the net rankings, yet get humbled on national television.
The tournament is never about who is good in January/February, we just need to get hot in March.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
There is some rating algorithm that disregards margin of victory over 10pts. So whatever the impact is for a 10pt loss is what we incurred on Saturday.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
Some good and inciteful posts, but overall it was much more like perusing an O-State than a Bama board. Kept expecting to read, "The Tide just weren't interested." ;)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.