Bama vs Utex

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And now Texas fans have started a petition on the game time. You can’t make this stuff up.

1) it is stupid to think that the biggest game of the day will be an 11am kick while the second biggest is Tennessee and Pittsburgh.

2) it is what it is, and what it is is stupid on fox’s part. But they know everyone is going to watch it for a half no matter if it is at 11 am or 8 pm. So they don’t care. But it’s what you get with Fox.

3) Texas is still Texas and will outwhine Oklahoma fans who whined up a storm about Fox making their Nebraska game an 11 am kick.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Texas will be Texas.

Come into the game with many hallelujahs from the sports media, loaded with talent.

Underperform on game day.

Texas is a goldmine of high school talent. That Texas has continued to fail boggles my mind.
There's something going on over there. With all the talent they have just in state, and resources available, they still can't get out of their own way. I can't believe that Charlie strong, Tom Herman , and now Sark are bad coaches. I think the real reason that Texas wanted Saban so bad was not because he's a great coach, he is, but they need someone with big enough juevos to tell those knucklehead boosters to pound sand, I phrased that as politely as I could.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
There's something going on over there. With all the talent they have just in state, and resources available, they still can't get out of their own way. I can't believe that Charlie strong, Tom Herman , and now Sark are bad coaches. I think the real reason that Texas wanted Saban so bad was not because he's a great coach, he is, but they need someone with big enough juevos to tell those knucklehead boosters to pound sand, I phrased that as politely as I could.
That's 100% weak leadership.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just another game for Bama.
This is the downside of being who we are.

There is ZERO satisfaction in the sense of "yay, we beat so-and-so" anymore.
Which is a good thing but still.

We had never beaten Texas. We then beat them in a national championship game.
We were 1-5 against Notre Dame, and they'd cost us two national titles.
We beat them for a national title and then in the semi-final to prevent any chance at one, hence, paid in full.
We beat Oklahoma in the playoff pretty handily to gain whatever revenge we might have wanted from 2013.
We thumped Ohio State in the championship, too.

We massacred Miami, thumped the Trojans, gouged the Gators, three of the somewhat more recent dynasties.

Seriously - who is left for us to beat that even matters?

Nebraska costing us the 1977 title? Might mean something if Nebraska was actually good. They aren't. Nebraska hasn't been good since you had to pay to text message every time and click the numbers repeatedly to get the right letter.

We basically have two teams left on any so-called Updated Revenge Tour, ATM and UGA. But if we beat ATM this fall, it's not like Alabama fans are going to go all crazy, it's going to be, "Normal has been restored" and look forward to the next game. If we beat UGA, it'll either be for an SEC or national championship. And the ACCOMPLISHMENT will be more important than "yay, we beat Georgia!"

I would rather be us right now than any team in CFB history. But the days of exhilaration over sneaking past Florida in the Swamp (99) or stealing it away from LSU at the last moment (98, 08, 12) are ancient history.

We're not ecstatic over the win of whom we beat, we're relieved we didn't lose or looking forward to next week.*

Other teams hang onto the hope of the ecstasy of beating us; we hold to the hope of not losing and having to hear a year of "ha ha we beat you!"

It's an Alabama burden, one I'm glad to bear.

* - before anyone parses my words, I'm not saying we don't enjoy winning or even it doesn't feel good. But nobody is surprised including our fans when we win is what I mean.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And before anyone arrives to correct me - technically - Notre Dame cost us FOUR national titles.
1966 (but tbf that was a vote)
1973 AP
1977 (again that was a vote; the other two were head-to-head losses on our part)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Selma, there's a sense in which we just enjoy not losing more than we enjoy the winning. We are expected to win EVERY GAME. When we actually have a close game and win, it's more like just being glad we can continue to bear the burden of not getting upset.

When you are king of the hill, it's easy not to enjoy the view for having to keep fighting back those who want to knock you off the pinnacle.

As you said, it's not a complaint as much as it is a reality. It's the cost of winning so much. Every other school in the country would like the bear this burden, but 99% can't climb the mountain, much less knock off the one at the top.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't know about anyone else, but I as a fan enjoy complete destruction of an opponent. I don't want exciting games, I want to sit there in the fourth quarter enjoying every minute of the opponent's destruction with the starters on the bench. It's even better if it is a high profile team that's being dismantled, but I do thoroughly enjoy it when Alabama dominated. I do have to confess I often don't enjoy a close win though because that's too close to losing, heh.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't know about anyone else, but I as a fan enjoy complete destruction of an opponent. I don't want exciting games, I want to sit there in the fourth quarter enjoying every minute of the opponent's destruction with the starters on the bench. It's even better if it is a high profile team that's being dismantled, but I do thoroughly enjoy it when Alabama dominated. I do have to confess I often don't enjoy a close win though because that's too close to losing, heh.
There was some thrill to the games like 1999 Florida, that Selma is absolutely correct about. We haven't experienced that in a long, long time.

Heck, the last time a feeling close to that happened was probably the 2009 SEC championship against Tebow's Florida team. But even that game was different. In 1999, we were a massive underdog. I can't remember the line for that 2009 Florida game, but I know it was very close either way.

Still, I'll take what it's like today than what it was like in 1999. Because the reason there was such a thrill of the huge upset, is because of how poor of a footing we were on otherwise. We lost to Louisiana Tech for Heaven's sake. In 2005, when we had the huge home upset of Florida... we were still a depleted roster being coached by a stale piece of cheese toast.

No, I'll gladly trade away the joy of winning for the relief of "not losing." Frankly, there is still a lot of joy in it for me as it is. :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm fine with all of this. Indeed, I prefer it.

But we're more at "we can't lose this" than we are "let's go win it" is all I'm saying. It's like the late Adrian Karsten said about the Iron Bowl - "the fear of losing this game is actually greater than the anticipation and joy of winning it."

That's pretty much us every game now.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I like completely dominating good teams or teams perceived as good. Beating up on bad teams is boring to me though

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.