Question: Barn Hate Week: How good are they?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I will say this about upsets in this series. Some contend it doesn’t happen, to that I say . Auburn has won 3 of the last 7 . Every time Alabama was the higher ranked team. Twice they were number #1. Every time Bama was favored by at least 6 points. If you don’t think they are upsets, ask Vegas, the people that do it for a living will disagree.
I guess if Auburn were to win, which I don’t believe they will, Im sure some will have a lengthy rationalization as to why Auburn was actually the better team going in instead of just better that night.

Last edited:

Alan92

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 21, 2020
I will say this about upsets in this series. Some contend it doesn’t happen, to that I will say this. Auburn has won 3 of the last 7 . Every time Alabama was the higher ranked team. Twice they were number #1. Every time Bama was favored by at least 6 points. If you don’t think they are upsets, ask Vegas, the people that do it for a living will disagree.
I guess if Auburn were to win, which I don’t believe they will, Im sure some will have a lengthy rationalization as to why Auburn was actually the better team going in instead of just better that night.
That's what I was trying to say. It's not complicated. If you're ranked higher and favored and you lose, it's an upset. No shame in it. Upsets make college football exciting and interesting. If the higher ranked team always won, then why play the games?

I read that 2001 wasn't a Bama upset? Yeah, it was the very definition of an upset. Bama was 3-8 in 2000. First year coach in 2001. At the time of the game they were underdogs. It doesn't matter that both teams finished with identical records. In that particular game that day, Bama wasn't favored to win, on the road no less. No need to read more into it than that.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
This year has given a whole new meaning to the usual pre-game caveat: "I hope everyone stays healthy." It used to be just about injuries but now you have infection fears, too. It doesn't matter who is favored in the next game. The goal in 2020 is to finish in one piece.

paulpatt48

3rd Team
Oct 12, 2020
I would say that our running game should have an excellent day. Always concerned about the trick plays Gus comes up with. Seems the refs have also been most beneficial to the barn this year.

Reactions: The Ols

bat123

All-American
1972 was at Legion Field. 50/50 ticket split days.
1989 was at pixy dust stadium. Our first trip ever to auburn, with a coach who never beat auburn

2013 was also at devils's island/paid off ref land against a team that was riding the devil's voo doo all season. Not to mention, we were a shell of what we had been the previous 2 years

2017 was a WEIRD year. We won it all but, sadly we were ripe for a loss when we went to the barn. LSU, aTm, and Mississippi State all took us down to the wire. The IB was unfortunately where the loss happened. But, it woke us up as we stomped Clemson in the playoffs and had a stellar 2nd half and OT against the dawgs in the national championship game

Of all of those, 3 were at voo doo land and one was at a neutral site. They have never ruined a season for us as the road team
I was there in 2010 they did ruin the season for us as a road team.......

• Facepalm
Reactions: We_are_Bama

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I was there in 2010 they did ruin the season for us as a road team.......
Not a particularly good example. They were undefeated, and we were not. It was us in the role of potential spoiler to ruin THEIR season. Beating them that year would not have made any difference in our season. In other words, our shot at the SEC West was gone once LSU beat us in Baton Rouge 2-3 weeks earlier. We MAY have gone from the Citrus Bowl against Michigan State to MAYBE the Cotton Bowl or perhaps the Sugar had we beaten auburn in 2010. That's about it. It would have been THEIR season ruined, had we won. Them beating us did nothing to derail us, because we had already been derailed weeks earlier. So...swing and a miss on that example. Show me an instance where we were undefeated and they were not and they beat us in Tuscaloosa.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It’s Barn hate week! How does the Barn compare to whom we have played this year? Bo has looked better and I know they run a bunch of misdirection which has given us fits. Their defense is good but how good? I have not watched much of the barn this year.
They're going to call a bunch of trick plays like the desperate little snits they are.
They'll fake injury after injury to slow it down in reverse.
They're not in the safe haven of Jerking Hair Stadium

Quite frankly, this one isn't in 2012 territory, but it might be in 2011.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'm always amazed by whatever fluky play happens to benefit Auburn, like an easy TD pass that hits the receiver in the back then bounces right into the defender's arms for a pick-six. But I think the Tide rolls this year. Najee will have a career day.

38-17, Bama.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
...Point being, for the first 25 minutes, things didn’t go so well defensively. We can’t have that against the boogs. They won’t be so generous in our red zone.
I wouldn't be so sure about that last assertion. Kentucky and the Barn are surprisingly similar in their red-zone scoring percentages...

Attachments

Reactions: B1GTide

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
What’s changed with how teams defend Mac Jones - al.com

“A lot of teams have kind of been backing up more and more,” Jones said, “so we have to find ways to squirt the ball out, get into the flat or even with my decision-making, just find a way to check the ball down and get the yards that we can get.”
I don't think Auburn has played lot of Soft zone this year. If anything, I think they go with same game plan that worked last year with few adjustments. Go be aggressive and force Mac to make quick decisions.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I seem to remember several perfect seasons ruined by Auburn:

Just off top of my head. Bama's upsets include 1984, 1985 and 2001. A near miss in 1997. I expect Bama to win but like another poster said, I almost hate watching it because stuff happens. My nerves will be shot, for sure.
In the last 50 years, there have been only four (4!) major upsets - where a team favored by 7+ points lost - in the "Iron Bowl."

(It really stopped being the Iron Bowl when the 50/50 ticket split went away.)

Those four upsets were:
1972 - Barn won as a 7.5 dog
1984 - Bama won as a 7.0 dog
2002 - Barn won as a 10.5 dog (Thanks, Franchione)
2013 - Barn won as a 10.0 dog

Something that doesn't even happen once a decade isn't something to worry about happening often.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
That's what I was trying to say. It's not complicated. If you're ranked higher and favored and you lose, it's an upset. No shame in it. Upsets make college football exciting and interesting. If the higher ranked team always won, then why play the games?

I read that 2001 wasn't a Bama upset? Yeah, it was the very definition of an upset. Bama was 3-8 in 2000. First year coach in 2001. At the time of the game they were underdogs. It doesn't matter that both teams finished with identical records. In that particular game that day, Bama wasn't favored to win, on the road no less. No need to read more into it than that.
A higher poll ranking doesn't mean favorite. Favorite means favorite.

There was a higher poll-ranked team that was an underdog just two weeks ago, I believe.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What’s changed with how teams defend Mac Jones - al.com

I don't think Auburn has played lot of Soft zone this year. If anything, I think they go with same game plan that worked last year with few adjustments. Go be aggressive and force Mac to make quick decisions.
I sure hope Auburn tries to play us man to man. This is the perfect scenario for going over the top to Metchie and Smith.

If I was designing a defensive game plan against us and Mac Jones. I'd play zone and keep 2 safties back. Force us to throw short passes and hope Jones got greedy and forced a long one OR hope we'll make a mistake and in the redzone. I'd concede lots of yards between the 20. The bend but don't break philosophy and hope we kick a lot of FGs instead of scoring TDs.

I'm just not sure Auburn can do that and defend our rushing game. Najee will surely have a big game if they play back. If they go tight man to man, we'll blow the top off.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.