Bart Starr’s wife Cherry passed away at 89

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I watched a documentary on her and Bart. Just an incredible love story.

He wanted to play for Bryant at KY, but he didn't want to be so far away from her at Auburn so he went to Bama in order to be closer to her.

Bart making the Packers roster was a stretch and then what he did in the first few years was remarkable. The documentary showed her importance in his life.

He was a true American, Alabama and Packers hero! Don't think he could have done it without her!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My wife and I met both of them in Birmingham, they asked us to have a cup of coffee.with them. I honestly cannot remember meeting a more likable couple. As we were leaving I thanked them saying, thanks Mr. Starr. To which he replied, called me Bart.
What a memory! I got the impression from the documentary they were just normal, down-to-earth people.

When they lived in Greenbay they lived in a normal ranch house. Nothing special.

On a side note, Bart favored my uncle who was about the same age. It was a little eerie how much they favored.

Similar to your experience, I got to have lunch with Lee Roy Jordan a few years ago. He grew up with a man I went to church with in Dallas and he knew I was a big Bama fan so he arranged the lunch. I couldn't believe how normal Mr. Jordan seemed to be.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Just class people, the both of them. Bart QB`d the only pro football team that I`ve ever been a REAL fan of. The Lombardi Packers and the players on those teams were a story unto themselves.

Reactions: CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I once heard a story that Bart, when he was head coach of the Packers, was having a coaches meeting at his house. There was a knock on the door. Bart got up from the table where he was meeting with his staff, and answered the door. At the door was a gentleman who apologized for the intrusion, but his elderly father was life long Packers fan. He was hoping to get an autograph for his father (in the car).

Bart said “go get your father and bring him in here”. Bart proceed to take the old man through the house, showing the old man all his Packers memorabilia, explaining a little about each. He then signed a photograph for the gentleman and thanked him for stopping by.

Bart then walked over to the table where all his assistants were seated. He sat down, looked at them and said “Okay….where were we?”

That, to me, spoke volumes about the type of man Bart Starr was. And his lovely wife, Cherry, was a great influence on him throughout their lives together. The epitome of grace and class.

• Heart
Reactions: saturdaysarebet

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I once heard a story that Bart, when he was head coach of the Packers, was having a coaches meeting at his house. There was a knock on the door. Bart got up from the table where he was meeting with his staff, and answered the door. At the door was a gentleman who apologized for the intrusion, but his elderly father was life long Packers fan. He was hoping to get an autograph for his father (in the car).

Bart said “go get your father and bring him in here”. Bart proceed to take the old man through the house, showing the old man all his Packers memorabilia, explaining a little about each. He then signed a photograph for the gentleman and thanked him for stopping by.

Bart then walked over to the table where all his assistants were seated. He sat down, looked at them and said “Okay….where were we?”

That, to me, spoke volumes about the type of man Bart Starr was. And his lovely wife, Cherry, was a great influence on him throughout their lives together. The epitome of grace and class.
That story was in the documentary as well.

Here's a link (you'll have to log in thru your provider):

• Thank You
Reactions: CB4

timmyj3

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 11, 2019
Very sad to here. As a lifelong WI resident the Starrs were national treasures to our state.

Reactions: Con

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.