BDS Construction

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
When I was a student - 76-80, we just had the bowl. No upper decks. No jumbo trons. Just 62k seats ... with The Bear roaming the sidelines ... and the best football team in the nation.
That's what I remember as a kid. Of course in those days I went to more games in B'ham at LF than I did in T-town. Thus...the expansions started and now the rest is history.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
When I was a student - 76-80, we just had the bowl. No upper decks. No jumbo trons. Just 62k seats ... with The Bear roaming the sidelines ... and the best football team in the nation.
Yep and no lighting. I remember they had to bring in temp lights when we played Penn State in T-town in the 80's.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yep and no lighting. I remember they had to bring in temp lights when we played Penn State in T-town in the 80's.
The stadium has had lights at least since the 1960s, maybe before (my memory goes back only to about 1966 or so).

The reason for the temporary lighting was that the existing stuff was sufficient for playing games at night, but not for televising night games.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
The stadium has had lights at least since the 1960s, maybe before (my memory goes back only to about 1966 or so).

The reason for the temporary lighting was that the existing stuff was sufficient for playing games at night, but not for televising night games.
The first time I saw the temporary TV lights in Bryant Denny was against Miami one night in the late 70s. I remember how bright it looked in the stadium and how everybody was saying it looked like daytime. :LOL:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.