Best College Football Program of All Time

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
When it comes to the discussion of the best college football programs, you talk about national titles, all time wins, all time winning percentage, etc. However, the #1 team is different in each of those categories. As a matter of fact, you can get 3 or 4 different "national champion" leaders depending on which polls you include.

I would like to see a ranking that will determine the best program of all time and put some real data behind it. I will tell you below EXACTLY how it should be done (I'm good at that), but I am WAAAAY to lazy to do the research. So if anyone here has the faculties and the desire to make it happen, GODSPEED. If not, then oh well, I guess we'll just have to keep on speculating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rank all of the teams by the number of national titles, including only the two major polls and the BCS champs. This means AP, Coaches, UPI, etc (all the different names for that 2nd poll). It also includes the AP title USC won when they were excluded from the BCS title game.

Rank all of the teams by the number of national titles, including ALL reputable sources. This will give you a totally different answer than the first poll. Who knows which one is right. We will use both. This would not include "The People's National Champ", but it would include all of the titles that have been awarded retroactively by modern ranking systems (for all schools - not just Bama).

Rank all of the teams by the number of conference championships.

Rank all of the teams by the number of bowl appearances.

Rank all of the teams by the number of bowl victories.

Rank all of the teams by the number of All-Americans.

Rank all of the teams by the number of 1st round NFL draft choices.

Rank all of the teams by the number of 10-win seasons.

Rank all of the teams by the number of all-time wins.

Rank all of the teams by the all-time winning percentage.

Then assign points for rank and add all the points together to get one composite ranking.

I bet Bama will be in the top 3. I don't have time to do all that research. Anyone wanna do it for me?:biggrin:

-Sully

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
That is a tough subject, and not really an accurate measure. things like conference titles. Nebraska has like 46 conference titles, most were in a small conference, pre big 8. not everything is apples to apples.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL
Of all time is such a hard thing to discuss objectively. I think what BamainBoston posted seems about right. I like that the grading scale doesn't hurt a program if they haven't been around as long as the Notre Dames and Bamas when it puts in winning percentage.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Obviously I like the fact the Bama is #1 according to their data, but I won't stop there. I'm gonna take all the data I can get there and start my "points calculation" and see if I get the same answer.........

Thanks for showing that to me.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
My initial reaction is, I want to see all-time first. After I have all the data, we can manipulate it many different ways and see what happens to the results. The first step is to get all the data......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.