Best Ever D-What will it take?

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
In the current era of aggressive offenses; no doubt this defense can be in the conversation. So; if we can bring in a second NC (I know , no looking ahead), what kind of performance by the Bama D would put them in consideration for BEST ever? These are 3 good offensive teams in the final four. Holding them under 30 combined? I actually believe if we hold them under 40 combined we win?

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Good answer; but even if we gave up 60 and won out?

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
At some schools, people will look back and say: 'member that 2016 defense...whoa.

Look at our 2010 team, when that team was healthy they were as deadly of a team as any we've ever put on the field here...but who really harkens back to that season for any reason other than an example of underachieving? That 2014 offense was as good as any we've ever had here. They had an up-and-down game and the defense let them down a bit...who is going to really put that unit on the same level as the 2012 offense?

If you want to go down with the all-time bests here, you've got to get the ring.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
At some schools, people will look back and say: 'member that 2016 defense...whoa.

Look at our 2010 team, when that team was healthy they were as deadly of a team as any we've ever put on the field here...but who really harkens back to that season for any reason other than an example of underachieving? That 2014 offense was as good as any we've ever had here. They had an up-and-down game and the defense let them down a bit...who is going to really put that unit on the same level as the 2012 offense?

If you want to go down with the all-time bests here, you've got to get the ring.
The 2010 defense accomplished something I've witnessed only once in my lifetime. Michigan State had first and goal at the one, and had to punt!!!!!!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..With the Spread Offense taking college football by storm the last few years, Coach Saban has tinkered with our D, to where we can line up shutting down every type of offense college football throws at us..

If we play a spread offense, we have the speed to shut them down or you wanna play some power ball, go right ahead, we have the studs to stop that as well..

I don't think any of the past D's has the kinda versatility this years Bama D has to combat different style of offenses & is what makes this Bama D I've seen on the college level..

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
One game or two? (If we give up 30 a game and win out, I'd still consider this defense to be awesome)..
60 combined; agree with awesome for the season. But , could we still be in the "best ever" Defense consideration if we finish that way?
Don't get me wrong, I am all about the ring if we give up a 100.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
60 combined; agree with awesome for the season. But , could we still be in the "best ever" Defense consideration if we finish that way?
Don't get me wrong, I am all about the ring if we give up a 100.
Considering the three other teams in the playoff average over 40 points a game, I don't think averaging giving up 30 points in those two games would be seen as such a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Agreed; but that would be well below our season performance posted above of holding teams to almost 22pts per game below their average. Great stats by the way, RTR91.
But, these are playoff teams.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The eras are just so different. Whereas there used to be a tradeoff between speed and size, that no longer exists. Conditioning and nutrition are light-years ahead of just 20 years ago. Rules change, most notably what constitutes ineligible receiver downfield and pass interference.

A Wallace Wade team (1925?) gave up 13 points all year. The 1961 defense gave up, what, 25?

1992 gave up more points, but would have curb-stomped either 1925 or 1961. All of Saban's defenses from 2008 on would have run circles around all of their predecessors, including 1992.

To get a real answer, you'd need to measure each year's defense against its peers that year (or, say, a minimum of 2 years either way).

Measure Bryant's defenses from 1961-66 and 1971-79 against both national averages and ordinal performance. Same thing for Stallings from 1990-94, and Saban from 2008 to present. I'm guessing Alabama will stack up well.

But even that doesn't tell the full story. Measure the difference between Alabama and the next best competitor. Is the gap close, or is it tail lights at midnight in western Kansas?

Point of all this being: the true measure of the best defense is the difference between it and the next best alternative, as measured by the rules and other factors as they existed at the time.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is the best defense that I have ever seen. A month off can do some weird things to teams, so we can't be sure what we will see when they come back, but I hope and expect to see them return to form within a series or two of the Washington game.

IMO, stats in the playoff games don't matter. If you win, you will remember them as the best.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This is the best defense that I have ever seen. A month off can do some weird things to teams, so we can't be sure what we will see when they come back, but I hope and expect to see them return to form within a series or two of the Washington game.

IMO, stats in the playoff games don't matter. If you win, you will remember them as the best.
That's true. It's down to four teams, and whichever teams make the most plays will win. Our defense looked great against MSU and pretty average against Clemson, but my main memory is that when the confetti was falling, we were holding up the shiny trophy. It is too bad that the new trophy looks like a muffler or something, and it always shows finger prints badly. Lifting the crystal football looked cooler, but it could be a rusty bottle cap as long as it meant we were champs.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
It's a giant beer tap.

Seriously, I'm thinking about actually making a beer tap to resemble it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Well, when you make your own beer tap, that also means you are a champion. Roll Tide!
There's a homebrewer saying about why homebrewing beer is the best hobby:

Do a good job and you end up with beer; do a bad job and you still end up with beer.

:biggrin2:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.