Best Ever D-What will it take?

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
To put things into perspective in terms of how good our run defense is this year...

Take the top 4 RBs in the SEC this season based on their total yards gained and average yards per game:

1) Kamryn Pettway (AU) 124.78 YPG
2) Derrius Guice (LSU) 113.55 YPG
3) Rawleigh Williams III (AR) 110.5 YPG
4) Nick Fitzgerald (MSU) 103.58 YPG

Now look at the yards they rushed for against Alabama:

1) Kamryn Pettway (AU) 17 Yards
2) Derrius Guice (LSU) 8 Yards
3) Rawleigh Williams III (AR) 46 Yards
4) Nick Fitzgerald (MSU) 15 Yards

Add them all up and you get 86 total yards...from the top 4 RBs in the SEC...who all averaged over 100 YPG on the season (including their pathetic games against Alabama).

That is phenomenal. Oh...and of course we didn't give up a rushing TD at home all season either.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
To put things into perspective in terms of how good our run defense is this year...

Take the top 4 RBs in the SEC this season based on their total yards gained and average yards per game:

1) Kamryn Pettway (AU) 124.78 YPG
2) Derrius Guice (LSU) 113.55 YPG
3) Rawleigh Williams III (AR) 110.5 YPG
4) Nick Fitzgerald (MSU) 103.58 YPG

Now look at the yards they rushed for against Alabama:

1) Kamryn Pettway (AU) 17 Yards
2) Derrius Guice (LSU) 8 Yards
3) Rawleigh Williams III (AR) 46 Yards
4) Nick Fitzgerald (MSU) 15 Yards

Add them all up and you get 86 total yards...from the top 4 RBs in the SEC...who all averaged over 100 YPG on the season (including their pathetic games against Alabama).

That is phenomenal. Oh...and of course we didn't give up a rushing TD at home all season either.
Hell, Alabama faced ten 1,000 yard rushers all season. Those ten players averaged 29.5 yards against Alabama. That's absurd.

I didn't know that! Wow! I had to go and look at where those rushing TDs came from.

One from ARK RB Rawleigh Williams way after the fact.
One from Ole Miss RB Akeem Rudd
One from UT RB Alvin Kamari

That's it. That's crazy good.

[emoji208]Sent from my iPhone [emoji336]using Tapatalk Pro

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Agreed; but that would be well below our season performance posted above of holding teams to almost 22pts per game below their average. Great stats by the way, RTR91.
But, these are playoff teams.
You're right. The average would drop to 20.8 points less than their average, which is still better than any of Saban's other defenses.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
These defensive stat tidbits are mighty tasty; may deserve their own thread.
Hor d'oeuvres before the main course.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
I didn't know that! Wow! I had to go and look at where those rushing TDs came from.

One from ARK RB Rawleigh Williams way after the fact.
One from Ole Miss RB Akeem Rudd
One from UT RB Alvin Kamari

That's it. That's crazy good.

[emoji208]Sent from my iPhone [emoji336]using Tapatalk Pro
To be fair, the one to Kamara was to a former teammate en route to a blowout "for old times sake". 😉

Sterling91

Dec 7, 2016
Alabama
During my 25 short years on this earth I can say that this is by far the most fun defense that I have watched. From the blitzing, to the belt, to the NOTS, you never know what is coming next. But it is almost always good for the good guys. This defense is angry and hungry but also focused. Incredible that they can play with so much emotion but maintain discipline.

As for best, I will say this, I have never felt more comfortable with a defense on the field. As nerve wracking as the LSU game was, I never felt like we were going to lose. I knew our defense was going to stop them. Or against Auburn, we would turn it over on our own half and I was certain that we would only give up a FG each time. Or again, against A&M when we trailed, I knew that our defense would turn the game around. Point is, I don't think I have ever looked forward to a defense being on the field more than the 2016 defense. It is an iron curtain.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.