Best job of calling a game by a Bama OC or DC

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
OC: Homer Smith vs. UGA in 1994.

I always thought Gene Stallings and Homer Smith could have been an all-time great combination....if Stallings had been constitutionally able to embrace change. Unfortunately, he wasn't, and it limited his success in the last couple of years. The game evolved, but Stallings didn't. In fact, I think he steadfastly refused to acknowledge that change was even warranted.

That characteristic separates really good coaches (Stallings and Les Miles, for example. You could make a good case that Spurrier falls into this category as well.) from truly great coaches (Bryant and Saban).

The great ones manage to keep an underlying philosophy / strategy while updating their tactics, evolving as the game does. The good ones are fantastic at executing their tactics, but can't (or won't) admit even to themselves to that those tactics and attendant skill sets are no longer the best way.

Admittedly, a fine line to walk. But that's what separates the good from the great.

DC: Bill Oliver vs. Miami in 1992.
Oliver's ego got in the way later, largely driven by the acclaim he got for the Miami game, and he kind of fouled his nest on the way out. But you can't say that that one game wasn't a masterpiece for the ages.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Kiffin over Clemson - Clemson had a great defense, and Kiffin absolutely killed them by setting up HUGE plays time after time. That was a game that Alabama loses by 3 TDs if not for huge plays on offense and special teams.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
DC
You have to go with Oliver's plan against Miami in the '93 Sugar Bowl ('92 season). Never quite seen anything like it against a team with so many weapons.
A close second might be Ken Donahue's plan against Penn St. in the '79 Sugar ('78 season), which of course included the famous goal line stand. We absolutely dominated PSU's offense and if not for some very untimely turnovers we probably win that game by 2 or 3 TDs.

OC
Recently, I'd go with Kiffin vs. Clemson (2015 season) or McElwain vs UF (2009 season). I thought both were brilliant. Further back, the 1994 game vs. UGA with Homer Smith as OC was really good as others have mentioned.

Reactions: Elefantman

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
For a season, 2017 Jeremy Pruitt. The way he handled himself and stayed the course after taking the UT job was awesome. Of all the folks that have left to take another head coaching position, he is by far the classiest and appreciates the opportunity CNS gave him.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

I’ll always remember this one from Sept of the Blake Sims season. The first play of the game was Kenyan Drake split wide and Sims hit him for a bomb. It was the first time I can recall seeing CLK throw up the TD sign just after the snap. That was a beautiful moment.

Reactions: dtgreg

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I’ll always remember this one from Sept of the Blake Sims season. The first play of the game was Kenyan Drake split wide and Sims hit him for a bomb. It was the first time I can recall seeing CLK throw up the TD sign just after the snap. That was a beautiful moment.
The funny thing was Danielson saw it before it even happened.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Another goodie was McElwain 2008 Season Opener vs Clemson. Ran for 4 yards a carry every play and the tiggers COULD NOT STOP US. I remember being amazed at how much better we had gotten in the off-season. After the first series, I knew we had the game won. Thunder and lightning never entered the Dome, haha!

Reactions: Elefantman and Con

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
2011 Kirby vs LSU in the title game. I know some would argue that LSU didn't have a great offense that year, but holding any major team to 92 yards total offense is amazing. That was a great LSU team too. They were on the way to being the greatest LSU team and were having a stellar season, and then the Bama D curb stomped them in their own backyard.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'd have to go with Lane Kiffin owning Clemson. We didn't dominate em, Kiffin crushed em. I had always thought of Lane as being 'Off The Wall'...
but Lane kept everybody guessing.
That game shows game genius on the part of Lane Kiffin.
That game makes me wary of playing Ole Sis. I know we are a better team, but the best teams sometimes get beat by the coach
who ain't afraid to call off the wall plays.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'd have to go with Lane Kiffin owning Clemson. We didn't dominate em, Kiffin crushed em. I had always thought of Lane as being 'Off The Wall'...
but Lane kept everybody guessing.
That game shows game genius on the part of Lane Kiffin.
That game makes me wary of playing Ole Sis. I know we are a better team, but the best teams sometimes get beat by the coach
who ain't afraid to call off the wall plays.
I agree...but I HATED all the jet sweeps...just hated them. I've often wondered what LK would have done with Tua.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I agree...but I HATED all the jet sweeps...just hated them. I've often wondered what LK would have done with Tua.
Kiffin with his head screwed on straight coaching Tua and those WR's would have been something to behold. I really like Sark, but Kiffin is a better offensive coach in my opinion. Kiffin would have been even more deadly and creative. Remember what he did with Coker, Sims, and a more less talented WR group.

Reactions: Padreruf

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
2011 Kirby vs LSU in the title game. I know some would argue that LSU didn't have a great offense that year, but holding any major team to 92 yards total offense is amazing. That was a great LSU team too. They were on the way to being the greatest LSU team and were having a stellar season, and then the Bama D curb stomped them in their own backyard.
I'm not willing to give slimy Kirby the credit for that. I'm going to give that one to CNS. Also a stubborn Les Miles really helped that one look that bad.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For the 2011 LSU NCG I would say more credit goes to Mac than Kirby. That LSU offense really didn't do anything against us either time, but the difference in the two games were field goals and how much trust was on AJ.

I think Kirby's best coaching job was 2009 Florida and 2014 aTm.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.