Poll: Best Overtime Format for FBS football?

What would be the BEST OT Format for FBS Football?

• No OT at all. Let games end with a Tie at the end of Regulation Time.

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • The Current CFB Overtime Format

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • The Current NFL Overtime Format

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Seometing Else? (Specify!)

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
So what do you think? What is the best format for Overtime in FBS Football games?

(And is there any way to corrrect Spelllling errors in Pollls??? Ugh....)

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I personally like the current format. IN fact I think the NFL should adopt the college style to eliminate ties altogether. Dear God, please don't let the rules change to end in a soccer-style shootout. Can you imagine our kickers in a best of five field goals match with the game on the line? I don't think my nerves could handle it.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I personally like the Sudden Death OT. First team to scores, wins, period. None of this, both teams must have a possession crap. (Yes, I know in a Sudden Death OT, Bama would have lost the Nat'l Champ game.)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess that I would prefer to stay with the college rules. IMO, if NFL rules were applied in college, too many games would end in ties - I hate ties.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Idk what the best format is but I'm not in love with either CFB or NFL formats. Maybe there isn't a good OT format for football.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
Given how we won in the championship game, I’ll take the current system. I do dislike the NFL system.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I voted to change it. While I like the current rule, the one thing I don't like is that you can start at the 25 and not make a single yard and kick a 42 yard fg.

I'd like to see the rule changed to starting at the 40. At least this way you'd pretty much have to make at least one first down to get into scoring range.

FWIW, I've been an advocate of this for several years. I will say, the current rule is far better than no OT ("kissing your sister" as Coach Bryant used to call it) or the NFL OT rule, which often rewards who ever wins the coin toss.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
I personally like the Sudden Death OT. First team to scores, wins, period. None of this, both teams must have a possession crap. (Yes, I know in a Sudden Death OT, Bama would have lost the Nat'l Champ game.)
Bama wouldn’t have necessarily lost. In a sudden death format, I really doubt teams would start out in field goal range.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I voted to change it. While I like the current rule, the one thing I don't like is that you can start at the 25 and not make a single yard and kick a 42 yard fg.

I'd like to see the rule changed to starting at the 40. At least this way you'd pretty much have to make at least one first down to get into scoring range.

FWIW, I've been an advocate of this for several years. I will say, the current rule is far better than no OT ("kissing your sister" as Coach Bryant used to call it) or the NFL OT rule, which often rewards who ever wins the coin toss.
I am mostly with you here. I like the format but just not the initial placement of the ball. Start at the 40, or even better, midfield. Make them work a little to get that field goal. As it stands now, the 3 pointer is pretty much a guarantee, unless you are Alabama.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

FWIW, I'm mostly in agreement with you. I think SOME form of OT is necessary to take away the option of TOOLS like Parseghian, Daugherty or dye from "Playing for the tie".

And I mostly like what we do now, but I'd take the current format but tweek it. Like you say - I'd make teams start further back - maybe the 35 or 40. I think you SHOULD have to make at least one lousy first down to kick a FG.

But this is where most would probably disagree with me. I'd LIMIT it to no more than 3 OT periods Max. These games with 6 and 7 OT's are just ridiculous - at that point its just endurance and dumb luck.

No more than 3 total OT's, no PAT kicks after the first OT. IF two teams go that far and still can't separate - then it ends in a tie, and GET OVER IT. The teams are just too close to claim either one is "Better" than the other.

The game's been going on for FIVE HOURS NOW.
It's a TIE.
Deal with it.

(and I realize you'd have to make an exception for the first round of the P_ayoffs to go past 3 OT's...)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Me also. A team ought to have to make at least one first down to be in FG range. Or in the 2nd OT both teams start at the 40. If there is a 3rd OT then both start at the 45, and so on and on.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I mostly like the current FBS overtime setup but would like to adjust the starting field position. Starting out inside your average kicker's field-goal range makes points in every possession almost a gimmie unless there's a turnover - or you have a bad field-goal kicker. Of course, you don't want it to be eternally too difficult, lest games endure for days. (Not literally, of course.)

I would start the first possession of overtime, for each team, at the 50 yard line. Subsequent possession pairs move 10 yards closer until they reach the 20 yard line. Beginning with the third possession pair - from the 30 yard line - touchdowns must be followed by a two-point conversion attempt. Beginning with the fifth possession pair - the second from the 20 yard line - field goals are no longer allowed.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I like it but would change it:

a) start at the 35, not the 25
b) mandate going for 2 in first OT

Other than that I like it

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Make teams score touchdowns and go for 2. Remove field goals and PATs. Done.
I actually like allowing PATs at first. That way, in the instances where both teams score TDs on their first possession, the second team has the opportunity to decide whether to try for the tie with a PAT or the win with a two-point conversion. I also like the idea of not having OT be basically a field goal kicking contest...

Take the following scenario:

Team A goes out, gets two first downs, fails to score a TD from there, and then kicks a field goal.
Team B goes out, has a two-yard run, gives up a five-yard sack, throws an incomplete pass, and faces a fourth down play.

Under the current rules, Team B is now facing just a 35-yard field goal attempt for the tie and lose only if they miss.
Under my scenario, Team B is now facing a 52-yard Hail Mary play for the win and lose if they fail.

ETA:
Under the current setup, the Defense basically has to force a turnover in order to win the game for their team. Under my scenario, the Defense can basically win the game for their team early in overtime by simply preventing a first-down conversion.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.