Best Running Backs pre Saban, Since Saban

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Well what's funny is this - with my memory, I've FORGOTTEN MUCH OF THAT GAME, probably because it was a bit personally traumatic for me. Not that we lost. Hell, we lose a game a year most years. But I'll admit that I underrated Ohio State, largely based off past years, and I over-rated us, though the Auburn game opened up a few concerns. In all honesty, I figured that a team that maybe shouldn't have been there and had a third-string QB was probably going to get blown off the field by us.

They beat us. They straight up beat us. (Whatever contribution we made, it doesn't matter. They get credit for causing us to do stuff wrong, too. That's how sportsmanship works).

My pain and frustration over that game was NEVER "we lost to a lousy team." They were a very good team and underrated. My pain and frustration was that when we got the ball back right after they scored, I texted a friend watching with me and said, "We're gonna hand the ball to the Beast, run off the last 2:51 of the half and punch in the death blow with Henry going into the half."

And then we decided Blake Sims was apparently Kurt Warner or something.

That's why that one hurts - because I feel like we didn't employ an obvious strategy to beat a team we could have beaten.
Kiffin was trying to prove he was the smartest man in the room. He cost us that game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Kiffin was trying to prove he was the smartest man in the room. He cost us that game.
As good as Kiffin was, he cost us the 2014 and 2016 national titles. That's why I don't pay attention to his smug backhanded compliments to Coach Saban on social media. In his narcissistic arrogance, he's clueless about how much Coach Saban helped him, and yet how much he royally screwed up.

He did figure it out in 2015, I guess to his credit, although I believe Coach Saban probably governed a lot of the strategy that season, in giving Henry so much of the load.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As good as Kiffin was, he cost us the 2014 and 2016 national titles. That's why I don't pay attention to his smug backhanded compliments to Coach Saban on social media. In his narcissistic arrogance, he's clueless about how much Coach Saban helped him, and yet how much he royally screwed up.

He did figure it out in 2015, I guess to his credit, although I believe Coach Saban probably governed a lot of the strategy that season, in giving Henry so much of the load.
Kiffin got credit from the nutbags in the media who cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.

OFFENSIVE PPG
2013 - 38.2 (last year with Nussmeier)
2014 - 36.9
2015 - 35.1
2016 - 38.8

It never ceases to amaze and amuse me how Kiffin gets credit for some sort of "our offense wasn't that good" yadda yadda. But remember - the total points includes FIFTEEN non-offensive touchdowns that totaled over 100 points for the Tide, which lowers Kiffin's total to about 32 points per game when everyone was calling him such a genius.

2012 - 38.7
2011 - 34.8
2010 - 35.7
2009 - 32.1
2008 - 30.1

By all ACTUAL accounts, Kiffin's 2016 OFFENSE was the weakest since 2008.

But hey, who am I to argue with these dolts?

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Well what's funny is this - with my memory, I've FORGOTTEN MUCH OF THAT GAME, probably because it was a bit personally traumatic for me. Not that we lost. Hell, we lose a game a year most years. But I'll admit that I underrated Ohio State, largely based off past years, and I over-rated us, though the Auburn game opened up a few concerns. In all honesty, I figured that a team that maybe shouldn't have been there and had a third-string QB was probably going to get blown off the field by us.

They beat us. They straight up beat us. (Whatever contribution we made, it doesn't matter. They get credit for causing us to do stuff wrong, too. That's how sportsmanship works).

My pain and frustration over that game was NEVER "we lost to a lousy team." They were a very good team and underrated. My pain and frustration was that when we got the ball back right after they scored, I texted a friend watching with me and said, "We're gonna hand the ball to the Beast, run off the last 2:51 of the half and punch in the death blow with Henry going into the half."

And then we decided Blake Sims was apparently Kurt Warner or something.

That's why that one hurts - because I feel like we didn't employ an obvious strategy to beat a team we could have beaten.
You forgot the worst part. Ohio state deep in their own end zone punting barely 10 or 15 yards. And then Blake sims immediately throwing a pick on the 1st play of the drive.

• Sad
Reactions: seebell

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Now that we have:
a) won three national championships since then
b) blown Ohio St off the field for one of them, "avenging" the loss

...I guess I need to load up the You Tube on that game and watch it unemotionally.

That's the thing - when I'm caught up in the game itself, I'm highly emotional (but contained enough to not do something stupid like pick a fight with another fan), and this causes me at times to not have the full thought process memorized of "how we got here." It's worse if we're in a death struggle and trailing than if we're leading. For example, as bad as it was, I watched the 2013 IB a few months later, removed from all the hopes for a three-peat, etc, and I noticed more detail than I'll notice when crap is going wrong. For me, football is kind of like life - and if something went wrong, you can't dwell on it and be so afraid you won't try something else. So I was caught up in the whole field goals awry, missed fourth downs, that we would make it work. Remember - Auburn only led for 9 minutes until the final moment. They were tied with us the first nine minutes and for 16:56 (total) of the second half.

The two plays that stick out like the rest of my memory about normal days are:
1) when for all the world it looked like we were going to get Cardale Jones for a safety
2) the pick six by Steve Miller, the pompatous of love.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Now that we have:
a) won three national championships since then
b) blown Ohio St off the field for one of them, "avenging" the loss

...I guess I need to load up the You Tube on that game and watch it unemotionally.

That's the thing - when I'm caught up in the game itself, I'm highly emotional (but contained enough to not do something stupid like pick a fight with another fan), and this causes me at times to not have the full thought process memorized of "how we got here." It's worse if we're in a death struggle and trailing than if we're leading. For example, as bad as it was, I watched the 2013 IB a few months later, removed from all the hopes for a three-peat, etc, and I noticed more detail than I'll notice when crap is going wrong. For me, football is kind of like life - and if something went wrong, you can't dwell on it and be so afraid you won't try something else. So I was caught up in the whole field goals awry, missed fourth downs, that we would make it work. Remember - Auburn only led for 9 minutes until the final moment. They were tied with us the first nine minutes and for 16:56 (total) of the second half.

The two plays that stick out like the rest of my memory about normal days are:
1) when for all the world it looked like we were going to get Cardale Jones for a safety
2) the pick six by Steve Miller, the pompatous of love.
I have always wondered if stress impacted your memory.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have always wondered if stress impacted your memory.
It does - in strange ways.

Weird one. When they were giving me one of the tests, they asked me what I was doing on December 25, 1985. My grandfather (who took me to my first Braves game) was laid to rest the day previous. So I hemmed and hawed and told them I literally could not remember what I got for Christmas that day. (I later did recall without seeing pictures that I got a Norelco razor and a yellow hair dryer; I remembered the previous days and my cousin asking me if I knew what I was getting).

I told my Mom later - it was her Dad. She said that given all the stress that was going on at that time, nobody would hold it against me (and her sister, my aunt, said the same thing).

It CAN. It doesn't necessarily, but it can. Depends on the kind of stress.

Good question btw.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Tony Nathan was one heck of an athlete, Coach Wimp said 2day he worked his fanny off recruiting Tony for basketball said some fellow won at the end for him, I think it turned out pretty good

Reactions: Windsortide

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama

I can’t express how much “THIS”…..
…..but allow me to try anyway:
thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisThisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisThisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisThisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisThisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisThisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisThisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisThisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisThisthisthisthisThisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.