BHAM I-59/20 to be closed for over a year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Was told this weekend there's a lawsuit on the way because of the construction. Apparently, the bridge engineering firm didn't do their job, and the bridges aren't properly aligned.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
That's incredible if true. Going to be some heads on the chopping block.
Yes, but kinda expected given how things go around Birmingham/Jefferson County. Granted this isn’t the local government’s fault. I was waiting for something major to drop in regards to this project. In the words of Jerry Gergich from Parks and Rec, “Well it ain’t government work unless you do it twice.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
so, we'll be heading through b-ham from atlanta to i-22 in a few weeks. is it best to take 459 to 65 n and bypass i-20 thru downtown? or is it best to just suck it up and use the detours?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
so, we'll be heading through b-ham from atlanta to i-22 in a few weeks. is it best to take 459 to 65 n and bypass i-20 thru downtown? or is it best to just suck it up and use the detours?
Under normal circumstances you only add 3 or 4 minutes or so to your drive through Bham. They have done a nice job and have provided several options.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Under normal circumstances you only add 3 or 4 minutes or so to your drive through Bham. They have done a nice job and have provided several options.
Can't believe I'm agreeing with this, but BIB's right. ALDOT really did a good job in what could have been a horrendous set of circumstances. It's a teeny bit inconvenient, but nowhere near what I thought it would be, especially if you can dodge rush hour. If you can do that, take the surface street detours.

If you absolutely can't avoid rush hour, especially the morning one, I'd probably go 459 to 65 to 22. Longer distance, but about the same time, and less stomach acid because you're dealing with 3-4 lane interstate congestion, as opposed to 1-2 lane surface street congestion.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
If the navigation apps show a backup, just exit at the old Century Plaza, take 3rd Ave S into town and just keep on until it hits I65, get back on and head to I22.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
one-quarter of new bridge segments installed. On track to re-open by March 2020

al.com said:
The last phase of the Interstate 59/20 bridge project is now about 65 percent complete and on track to be open to traffic by the March 21, 2020, deadline, Alabama Department of Transportation officials said.

About 600 of the 2,316 segments of the new interstate bridges have been installed; That’s a little more than one-quarter of all the segments that will comprise the new bridges, ALDOT East Central Region Engineer DeJarvis Leonard said
https://www.al.com/news/2019/06/600...installed-project-on-schedule-aldot-says.html

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: one-quarter of new bridge segments installed. On track to re-open by March 2020

Doesn't hurt that Georgia likely has a much better state tax revenue base and can fund things without federal money. In Alabama, you're getting the bare minimum federally funded implementation for many public works and services.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: one-quarter of new bridge segments installed. On track to re-open by March 2020

Doesn't hurt that Georgia likely has a much better state tax revenue base and can fund things without federal money. In Alabama, you're getting the bare minimum federally funded implementation for many public works and services.
That changes with Rebuild Alabama. The federal match amount is gone after this year from what I understand.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

This has nothing to do with the OP's thread, but went to visit my aunt in Montgomery this past Wednesday. I decided to make the drive on the backroads and avoid the Interstate. It probably took an hour longer, but it was stress free plus I got to go through some small towns in Alabama I had heard of but never had the chance to see.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

This has nothing to do with the OP's thread, but went to visit my aunt in Montgomery this past Wednesday. I decided to make the drive on the backroads and avoid the Interstate. It probably took an hour longer, but it was stress free plus I got to go through some small towns in Alabama I had heard of but never had the chance to see.
That is kind of the way I feel about Atlanta. I'll drive a long way around Atlanta to avoid the Atlanta metro area. It may take longer in the end, but much less stressful.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

That changes with Rebuild Alabama. The federal match amount is gone after this year from what I understand.

Wait, Rebuild Alabama is making the problem worse?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Wait, Rebuild Alabama is making the problem worse?
No. It means we aren’t reliant on the federal money. The state and county will have enough to not need the federal allocation.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

we went thru b-ham on the weekend of the 4th and the detour was super easy and didn't really add too much to our time. we got off at hwy 79 (?) and went north a little ways into tarrant then on some small roads over a mtn to the exit just north of i-22. the roads were in pretty rough shape, but it really wasn't much worse than the old cut-thru off of daniel payne before i-22 was finished.

thanks everyone for the info upthread.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.