Biden Policy Thread - Part Two...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The problem with rail travel is the cost vs. the speed. I have taken Amtrak up and down the east coast because the express trains are fast and relatively inexpensive. But if you get away from faster trains running express routes, they are slow and cost too much.

Remember, the train system is in direct competition with the airlines, and air travel has become very affordable. I love the idea of spending on the rail system, but only if we are going to see the real issues corrected (speed and cost). Without correcting those things, this is just a waste of money.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The problem with rail travel is the cost vs. the speed. I have taken Amtrak up and down the east coast because the express trains are fast and relatively inexpensive. But if you get away from faster trains running express routes, they are slow and cost too much.

Remember, the train system is in direct competition with the airlines, and air travel has become very affordable. I love the idea of spending on the rail system, but only if we are going to see the real issues corrected (speed and cost). Without correcting those things, this is just a waste of money.
I've taken the Acela Express NYC to Boston and back several times and it beats the heck out of flying. Take an uber to Grand Central jump on the train and spend a few hours in a large seat with a ton of area to move around, great wifi and a bar car. Much better than the 45 min cab ride to Lagaurdia, plus waiting in the airport as you have to get there 2 hours in advance to be safe, then the 30 min flight and then having to deal with Logan airport. The train take 3.5 hours so the time is about a wash at this point. When I used to travel for work in the before times, I did this quite a few times.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've taken the Acela Express NYC to Boston and back several times and it beats the heck out of flying. Take an uber to Grand Central jump on the train and spend a few hours in a large seat with a ton of area to move around, great wifi and a bar car. Much better than the 45 min cab ride to Lagaurdia, plus waiting in the airport as you have to get there 2 hours in advance to be safe, then the 30 min flight and then having to deal with Logan airport. The train take 3.5 hours so the time is about a wash at this point. When I used to travel for work in the before times, I did this quite a few times.
I also have taken the Acela Express - from NYC Penn Station up to Boston, down to Philly and DC. An absolute pleasure. Quick and easy - and inexpensive. But try taking a train from NYC to Orlando, or Dallas, or Chicago. Nightmares - and expensive nightmares.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I also have taken the Acela Express - from NYC Penn Station up to Boston, down to Philly and DC. An absolute pleasure. Quick and easy - and inexpensive. But try taking a train from NYC to Orlando, or Dallas, or Chicago. Nightmares - and expensive nightmares.
I did Philly to Raleigh a couple times as a kid living in the philly burbs and visiting my godfather in Raleigh. It was fine, but long. I've even done Tuscaloosa to Atlanta a couple of times when I was in school. Took a little longer than driving but not a big issue.

Reactions: B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I did Philly to Raleigh a couple times as a kid living in the philly burbs and visiting my godfather in Raleigh. It was fine, but long. I've even done Tuscaloosa to Atlanta a couple of times when I was in school. Took a little longer than driving but not a big issue.
Even living in the NE corridor, I never got on any train other than a subway. In fact, I remember the only two rail trips I've taken in the US, both in WWII. One was to College Station, TX, to see my older brother receive his wings. The other was to Stuttgart, AR, to see my next older brother receive his wings, both with my mother, naturally. However, I have ridden trains from Frankfort to Vienna, Salzburg to Munich, Munich to Copenhagen, Copenhagen to Amsterdam up the Rhine to Mainz, etc, etc... :)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm a little confused. These 'executive actions', are they legislative proposals or executive orders and can he even do this by executive order. Since everytime a Dem mentions gun control changes, it causes a run on gun stores, the preferable action would be executive order followed by legislative proposals.
Executive actions are basically toothless. They are recommendations but lack any force.

IIRC, Obama did the same thing early in his first term.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I thought they could be inforced but only last until the next guy says something different or a law is passed.:unsure:
That's an executive order, which only clarifies existing policy or law.

Executive actions have zero teeth. They're essentially a wish list that the POTUS wants to see congress address.

Bamaro

Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
That's an executive order, which only clarifies existing policy or law.

Executive actions have zero teeth. They're essentially a wish list that the POTUS wants to see congress address.
OK, I didn't realize there was such a thing as EAs. Could Biden issue an EO to implement his gun control ideas to head off a run on the stores waiting for congress to act?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
OK, I didn't realize there was such a thing as EAs. Could Biden issue an EO to implement his gun control ideas to head off a run on the stores waiting for congress to act?
Depends on what he's trying to accomplish. Executive Orders only clarify existing law, they cannot create new law. They are powerful, but limited. If more gun control is to be enacted, it will require the legislative branch (as it should, imo).

• Thank You
Reactions: Bamaro and TIDE-HSV

81usaf92

Hall of Fame
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Depends on what he's trying to accomplish. Executive Orders only clarify existing law, they cannot create new law. They are powerful, but limited. If more gun control is to be enacted, it will require the legislative branch (as it should, imo).
Honestly the only branch of government according to their powers that really matters is the legislature. But it’s the one branch of government that is always grid locked. It pretty much makes the other two branches to intervene.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Honestly the only branch of government according to their powers that really matters is the legislature. But it’s the one branch of government that is always grid locked. It pretty much makes the other two branches to intervene.
Then when the legislature does something the other side doesn’t like, they find the nearest sympathetic federal judge and things grind to a halt again

81usaf92

Hall of Fame
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Then when the legislature does something the other side doesn’t like, they find the nearest sympathetic federal judge and things grind to a halt again
Its also why you have dumb state legislators like Georgia make over the top laws like the voting Bill that have little chance of success of sticking when they see the federal legislature is attempting a Bill on the subject. The whole point is to get the SCOTUS to play the role of the legislative branch before Congress does.

Reactions: Tug Tide

JDCrimson

All-American
Feb 12, 2006
These are the questions you like to answer if you are the Press Secretary. You make the questioner look stupid and if this is all they can come up with your administration is doing a good job plus this stupid question took away time from some journalists who had pressing questions she really didn't want to answer.

Keep them dumb questions coming!

Reactions: MobtownK and 92tide

Latest threads