Biden policy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
which is funny because that strategy never works vs incumbents. Kerry and Romney did it and got peppered by guys that seemed very beatable in their 4th year in office. Usually an incumbent loses to a guy that is very charismatic with a different path after a disaster of a term.
GWB and Obama were not "very beatable". Incumbents do not lose unless the economy is weak. Yes, GWB was under fire for his foreign policy, but with a strong economy he was going to beat anyone.

Reactions: MobtownK

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
GWB and Obama were not "very beatable". Incumbents do not lose unless the economy is weak. Yes, GWB was under fire for his foreign policy, but with a strong economy he was going to beat anyone.
Kerry lost by one state. I would categorize that as beatable.

Obama was facing a very divided electorate and the Tea Party revolution looked capable enough to make the democrats sweat a possible close election. Things didn’t get better for Obama after Romney wiped the floor with him in Denver. Really Joe Biden killed Romney’s momentum in the VP debate. Obama was a lot more vulnerable than his final shows. Romney lost 4 key states by less than 2%. Had 3 of them gone his way then he would’ve won.

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama and UAH

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Obama was facing a very divided electorate and the Tea Party revolution looked capable enough to make the democrats sweat a possible close election. Things didn’t get better for Obama after Romney wiped the floor with him in Denver. Really Joe Biden killed Romney’s momentum in the VP debate. Obama was a lot more vulnerable than his final shows. Romney lost 4 key states by less than 2%. Had 3 of them gone his way then he would’ve won.
Not really - GWB won over 50% of the popular vote, and GWB carried FL by over 5%. It wasn't nearly as close as the numbers look. And the Obama election was never in doubt. Only republicans thought otherwise.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Not really - GWB won over 50% of the popular vote, and GWB carried FL by over 5%. It wasn't nearly as close as the numbers look. And the Obama election was never in doubt. Only republicans thought otherwise.
Yes but Kerry was naughty on the swift boats in Vietnam and was naughty at home when he exposed what he saw in Vietnam while Bush was a war hero.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
We should say Bush's massive bubble economy. Look at what happened in his last year. We almost went off the cliff.

Reactions: 92tide and seebell

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
karl rove certainly thought they had it in the bag on election night. watching him melt down on fox was hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

unfortunately, we are still dealing with the tea baggers

Reactions: B1GTide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
which is funny because that strategy never works vs incumbents. Kerry and Romney did it and got peppered by guys that seemed very beatable in their 4th year in office. Usually an incumbent loses to a guy that is very charismatic with a different path after a disaster of a term.
Well, but Kerry not only wasn't charismatic, he tried to run as some sort of war hero but then acted like he had something to hide by NOT releasing his military records. This made NO SENSE WHATSOEVER to normal people. Indeed, it's why the Swift Boat Veterans had such an easy time with him. He ACTED like a guy who had something to hide, he said nothing but vacancies the entire time, and then he got himself caught up in the idea that he was for it before he was against it, his "against it" coming conveniently after he disposed of Howard Dean's attempt to be George McGovern all over again.

I thought Bush was beatable in 2004, far more so than had the general election been in 2002, when I think he would have beaten pretty much anyone in the post-9/11 fervor.

Obama WAS vulnerable on the economy, but let's face it: you look at Mitt Zombie and see a phony. When you go down South and suddenly say you "like grits," I mean, that's taking pandering to the extreme. I knew Romney was toast when my ex-MIL was saying that you stand those two guys up and one is a charismatic, likable speaker - and the other is Mitt Romney. And this is a woman who kept insisting Obama wasn't born in the USA.

But I think there's another thing that destroyed both Romney and Kerry - THEY'RE BOTH WOODEN PHONIES FROM MASSACHUSETTS!!!

Now, I'm serious. You ever watch the MA people run for President? They give off this absolutely arrogant, condescending vibe like, well, Boston sports fans. Okay, I'll grant you Romney isn't "really" from Mass, but he learned how to be enough of one to become governor now, didn't he?

No offense to anyone here from Mass, I promise. But the condescending whiff of arrogance - Dukakis, Tsongas, Kerry, Romney, Teddy, Warren - permeates every candidate in that group once they get on the actual NATIONAL stage. Of course, someone will immediately say, "But JFK!" Yeah, he won. He BARELY won an election where 58% of the national electorate identified themselves as Democrats against a guy even then perceived as a shady character. Now I'll admit this - from all the video I've seen of JFK, he seemed a pretty at ease guy. Besides, Lodge was the VP nominee with Nixon in 1960, so somebody from MA was going to win anyway.

Ok, I've gotten way off the beaten path here and offended everyone from MA. But it's more an observation than anything else - candidates from MA generally come off VERY badly in national elections, particularly binary ones.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Obama didn't have a strong economy in 2012. However, I will grant he had a perceived IMPROVING economy that year, and the future looked bright enough for him to win. Obama lost white male votes nationally by 21 points, but he only lost those same voters in Ohio by 12 points, focused on the auto bailout.

However, I'm in general agreement with your conclusion: I never once thought Obama was beatable or at least not by any of the candidates who ran for the GOP in 2012.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Well, but Kerry not only wasn't charismatic, he tried to run as some sort of war hero but then acted like he had something to hide by NOT releasing his military records. This made NO SENSE WHATSOEVER to normal people. Indeed, it's why the Swift Boat Veterans had such an easy time with him. He ACTED like a guy who had something to hide, he said nothing but vacancies the entire time, and then he got himself caught up in the idea that he was for it before he was against it, his "against it" coming conveniently after he disposed of Howard Dean's attempt to be George McGovern all over again.

I thought Bush was beatable in 2004, far more so than had the general election been in 2002, when I think he would have beaten pretty much anyone in the post-9/11 fervor.

Obama WAS vulnerable on the economy, but let's face it: you look at Mitt Zombie and see a phony. When you go down South and suddenly say you "like grits," I mean, that's taking pandering to the extreme. I knew Romney was toast when my ex-MIL was saying that you stand those two guys up and one is a charismatic, likable speaker - and the other is Mitt Romney. And this is a woman who kept insisting Obama wasn't born in the USA.

But I think there's another thing that destroyed both Romney and Kerry - THEY'RE BOTH WOODEN PHONIES FROM MASSACHUSETTS!!!

Now, I'm serious. You ever watch the MA people run for President? They give off this absolutely arrogant, condescending vibe like, well, Boston sports fans. Okay, I'll grant you Romney isn't "really" from Mass, but he learned how to be enough of one to become governor now, didn't he?

No offense to anyone here from Mass, I promise. But the condescending whiff of arrogance - Dukakis, Tsongas, Kerry, Romney, Teddy, Warren - permeates every candidate in that group once they get on the actual NATIONAL stage. Of course, someone will immediately say, "But JFK!" Yeah, he won. He BARELY won an election where 58% of the national electorate identified themselves as Democrats against a guy even then perceived as a shady character. Now I'll admit this - from all the video I've seen of JFK, he seemed a pretty at ease guy. Besides, Lodge was the VP nominee with Nixon in 1960, so somebody from MA was going to win anyway.

Ok, I've gotten way off the beaten path here and offended everyone from MA. But it's more an observation than anything else - candidates from MA generally come off VERY badly in national elections, particularly binary ones.
Tip O’Neill always seemed like an OK guy to me.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Biden cabinet nominations

Secretary of State: Antony J. Blinken
Secretary of the Treasury: Janet L. Yellen
Secretary of Defense
Attorney General
Secretary of the Interior
Secretary of Agriculture
Secretary of Commerce
Secretary of Labor
Secretary of Health and Human Services
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
Secretary of Transportation
Secretary of Energy
Secretary of Education
Secretary of Veterans Affairs
Secretary of Homeland Security:
Alejandro Mayorkas
Trade Representative
Director of National Intelligence
Office of Management and Budget
Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency
Administrator of the Small Business Administration

Other Biden nominations

National Security Advisor: Jake Sullivan
UN Ambassador: Linda Thomas-Greenfield
Presidential Envoy on Climate: John Kerry

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Biden cabinet nominations

Secretary of State: Antony J. Blinken
Secretary of the Treasury
Secretary of Defense
Attorney General
Secretary of the Interior
Secretary of Agriculture
Secretary of Commerce
Secretary of Labor
Secretary of Health and Human Services
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
Secretary of Transportation
Secretary of Energy
Secretary of Education
Secretary of Veterans Affairs
Secretary of Homeland Security:
Alejandro Mayorkas
Trade Representative
Director of National Intelligence
Office of Management and Budget
Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency
Administrator of the Small Business Administration

Other Biden nominations

National Security Advisor: Jake Sullivan
UN Ambassador: Linda Thomas-Greenfield
Presidential Envoy on Climate: John Kerry
earlier today, i heard janet yellen for treasury

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am beginning to think that the Biden Administration will be more threatened by the Squad and white supremacists than the Republican Senate. First, and most important, his admin will attack the COVID pandemic. It will not be an easy task, but anything he does will be more than trump did. We will, with time, regain the trust of the international community. I believe he will restore trust in the DOJ and return the country to the rule of law. He will certainly address the immigration atrocities conducted by trump. The truth is simply, anything he does will be an improvement over the current POS residing in the White House.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.