Biden to pull the US out of Afghanistan (Afghan Government has Fallen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Again why are April 19th and December 7th not an observed holiday while 9/11 is? My point is if you are going to criticize Biden for picking 9/11 as an important date then why are you not going to criticize Bush for doing the same? It’s really a day that he picked. Maybe it’s on the nose, but I don’t think many really see it as celebrating the attackers as much as that we are finally getting out of a war that rivals 1812 and Vietnam
Regarding April 29 and December 7, I guess you'd have to ask the US Congress (and every president since those dates) why they aren't federal holidays.

Sep 11 is also not a federal holiday. However, Presidents Bush, Obama, and Trump have recognized it as an important date, and I have criticized none of them. No reason to.

Sorry my original question annoyed you, but it just seems a bit bizarre to chose the date on which the US was savagely attacked.

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sorry my original question annoyed you, but it just seems a bit bizarre to chose the date on which the US was savagely attacked.
I’m not annoyed at all, just showing you that every President has flown the flag at half staff, did a ceremony, and proclaimed the date as “patriot day” yet absolutely no one said “we are celebrating the attackers”. Yet when Biden wants to end a horrible war 20 years to the date that it started you want to make that leap in logic.

Personally I don’t care what day he chose, as long as one was chosen.

Reactions: UAH and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I’m not annoyed at all, just showing you that every President has flown the flag at half staff, did a ceremony, and proclaimed the date as “patriot day” yet absolutely no one said “we are celebrating the attackers”. Yet when Biden wants to end a horrible war 20 years to the date that it started you want to make that leap in logic.

Personally I don’t care what day he chose, as long as one was chosen.
my god man, how can you not be concerned

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I have been wanting for the U.S. to pull out of there for a couple of years but damn it hurts to see 20 years of effort from my brothers and me get destroyed so easily.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I have been wanting for the U.S. to pull out of there for a couple of years but damn it hurts to see 20 years of effort from my brothers and me get destroyed so easily.
We could stay 10 more years and the situation would not change. I'm with you...maybe we can learn a lesson or 2 about nation building, etc.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
And the rooskies were there too. There’s really only two paths with Afghanistan - stay the heck out, or
EC9463A2-6A49-4D94-A109-30F9AFCD4F8A.jpeg

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
(CNN)The last US troops have left Bagram Air Base, according to a US defense official, marking the end of the American presence at the sprawling compound that became the center of military power in Afghanistan.
The full withdrawal of US troops from the country is not complete yet but expected very soon.
Nearly two decades after the first American troops arrived at Bagram and helped take control of the field after the 9/11 attacks, the transfer of the field to the Afghan military proceeded without fanfare, a hushed finale that portends the imminent conclusion of America's longest war.

Once a dilapidated runway that barely had electricity in the surrounding buildings, the airfield became a small city in its own right, complete with shops, gyms, and classrooms for the thousands of servicemembers and contractors who worked at the base and its facilities.
The two-mile runway, streaked with the dark black tire marks of countless takeoffs and landings, was the jumping off point for military operations throughout the country, with space for cargo aircraft, fighter jets, and attack helicopters. Presidents George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Donald Trump all visited Bagram during their time in office, promising victory and a better future for Afghanistan.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Well, at least it wasn't the way we left Saigon...
I will go on record now. There will be some bad scenes coming out of Afghanistan over the next couple of months. The Taliban are seizing isolated military outposts, disarming the Afghan military, cataloguing their names and mobile numbers, and releasing them, telling them that if they catch them fighting against the Taliban again, they are toast (and their families are toast as well). This process will gather momentum over time.
There is talk of bringing Afghan soldiers out of Afghanistan to train them, so we can send them back to fight. My guess is that wherever they decide do this "training," every one of the Afghan soldiers will go AWOL as soon as they possibly can and claim asylum.
Many will make their way to the U.S. and claim asylum, since they were "fighting for the U.S." and so the U.S. owes them. And they will come in the thousands. They will not speak English and will have no discernible skills.
And those that stay in Afghanistan will be slaughtered by the Taliban because the Taliban are ruthless and the Afghan government forces are incompetent.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
This isn't going to turn out good. Staying there didn't do enough good either. Sometimes there are no good answers. IMO, I'm not sure what was so bad with having the small force that we had there just to try to keep the status quo.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I will go on record now. There will be some bad scenes coming out of Afghanistan over the next couple of months. The Taliban are seizing isolated military outposts, disarming the Afghan military, cataloguing their names and mobile numbers, and releasing them, telling them that if they catch them fighting against the Taliban again, they are toast (and their families are toast as well). This process will gather momentum over time.
There is talk of bringing Afghan soldiers out of Afghanistan to train them, so we can send them back to fight. My guess is that wherever they decide do this "training," every one of the Afghan soldiers will go AWOL as soon as they possibly can and claim asylum.
Many will make they way to the U.S. and claim asylum, since they were "fighting for the U.S." so the U.S. owes them. And they will come in the thousands. They will not speak English and will have no discernible skills.
And those that stay in Afghanistan will be slaughtered by the Taliban because the Taliban are ruthless and the Afghan government forces are incompetent.
I think the Taliban has been sandbagging until we're out of there.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
This isn't going to turn out good. Staying there didn't do enough good either. Sometimes there are no good answers. IMO, I'm not sure what was so bad with having the small force that we had there just to try to keep the status quo.
I doubt this is the answer to your question, but it is interesting none the less.

• Sad
Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
I think that the only way we could have "saved" Afghanistan would have been to have a massive surge, deploying a much larger military force over there for a long time. There is no political will in this country for that. (I'm sure that won't stop the Republicans from claiming that Biden "lost" Afghanistan.)

Afghanistan was not ours to "win" or "lose". There has never been a tradition of a strong central government there and it would have taken a sustained effort to have created one. Unfortunately, we took our eye off the ball and chose to enter Iraq. We forgot about Afghanistan.

I think Biden had three choices:

1. Go all out in Afghanistan and make that the priority of our military for many more years. Accept that there is no great likelihood of success and that this will drain the budget and make us unable to deal with our strategic competitors, China and Russia.
2. Go the middle route. Maintain a small force that is not really noticed in this country. Hope that the Afghan government can straighten itself out. This is what we have been doing.
3. Withdraw. Try to make arrangements to provide some logistical support, but accept that this is the Afghans' war to win or lose, with loss being more likely. Do what we can to protect those who supported us.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
After we killed OBL we should have gotten out. I wonder how much the Iraq war cost? Now that is a country that I think we stay in because it's a local deterrent to Iran.

Reactions: B1GTide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.