Big 10 Will Play Conference ONLY This Fall

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
who cares, big 10 plays almost no one out of conference this year anyway, except for OSU-OREGON, buckeyes are thanking the commish for this big favor

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
who cares, big 10 plays almost no one out of conference this year anyway, except for OSU-OREGON, buckeyes are thanking the commish for this big favor
Oregon- Ohio St isn't the biggest out of conference money maker that the Big 10 has. They are losing far more with having to cancel Wisconsin vs Notre Dame at Lambeau than any other game on the schedule.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
If the other Power5 conferences play outside of conference games I think this should take Big 10 out of contention for the playoffs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm afraid this has a snowball effect. I fail to see what this move accomplishes, honestly, except to really punish the teams that schedule teams from big conferences in order to get their big payday for a loss.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We'll be lucky if a single game is played this season.
I know we would like to play a complete schedule, but what if the others go along with conference only. We might be the game of the week a couple of times... LSU, TAMU, GA, Auburn...
If we get to play Divisions of the SEC, We could still have a SEC Championship Game.
BUT...
Like you said, we might find everything pushed back to spring, IF WE PLAY AT ALL...
I don't like to think about it.
Think of the players we would likely lose in a shut down.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
We'll be lucky if a single game is played this season.
Agree rumblings already about a couple more conferences following the Big 10 playing conference games only including the pac which obviously affects Bama and its first game.I just think when all is said and done we will not be having football this fall.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
I know we would like to play a complete schedule, but what if the others go along with conference only. We might be the game of the week a couple of times... LSU, TAMU, GA, Auburn...
If we get to play Divisions of the SEC, We could still have a SEC Championship Game.
BUT...
Like you said, we might find everything pushed back to spring, IF WE PLAY AT ALL...
The thing about potentially losing players is that would obviously apply to everyone.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
BUT...
The problem is that Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida are getting hit with cases so much that everything is about to be done by municipalities instead of States. I’m starting to see the bubble idea as the only viable idea at this point because the South is out of control at this point and I don’t foresee that changing in 2-3 weeks.

But I highly doubt this gets pushed back to the spring because if it does then College football is competing directly with NFL playoffs and March Madness. If the season doesn’t start by November then we are probably going to say there was no football season.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Play the games. The fans stay home. Put Saban (and anyone else over 60) in the booth.

Playing only conference games does what? If there is a threat by playing games, how does this help?

If there isn’t a threat, play them all

“Hey, are these eggs spoiled? Yes? Well instead of 12, I’ll buy just 8”

🤦‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: mrusso and The Ols

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Conference games still require a great deal of travel. The Big Ten plays a lot of MAC teams OOC, which can get to the games on a bus.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
If there is any games played at all this season it had better be early. Like say before flu season gets here. Add the flu and Covid-19 together and we will be locked down till spring. I don't see a vaccine developed and dispersed in time for college football to get back to normal till maybe next fall, fall of 2021.

The NCAA will have to expand teams rosters to have room for more freshman coming in 2021. Basically 2 years of freshman classes, as well as those who will come back even though they have been away from high school 3 years that could go pro but won't because their stock will not be high enough to get drafted.

I figure those who came back for their senior years this year will turn pro if they get a decent draft score, but most of this years seniors will be back as well. Why we going to need an expanded roster as well as expanded coaching staffs.

Just how it looks to me at the moment but I am more wrong than right so there is hope still!! ;)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This is gibberish from a biased source using a study that provides estimates from a population in Geneva Switzerland that we are supposed to extrapolate to the US population? That makes no sense. It's bad "science" and is not relevant to a US population.

I suggest using a source with less bias using relevant data based on information from the real world in the US and not an estimate based on a study out of Geneva.

Due to the unreliability of serum antibody tests at this stage infection fatality rates derived from such seroprevalence are completely unreliable as true estimates. In any case using the population of Geneva to project a rate in the US makes no sense from a scientific standpoint.

A more appropriate projection regarding the US was done. Link:

Quote:

A noted University of Illinois computer science professor has some troubling data to consider regarding widespread infection and even death.

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19.

"A few of them could end up in the hospital, and you'll have a small number who could die," Jacobson told CBS Sports. "I don't want to sugar coat it for you. I just want to give you the facts. … If everybody comes together under normal circumstances, we'll probably see that kind of outcome."

Jacobson made his projections from CDC data that estimates one death per 1,000 people who have symptoms in the college age group (18-22). Taking into account that range and medical care provided for football players, the death rate would be lower than the general population, Jacobson said.

He stressed those numbers could change. Based on available statistics, less than 1% of the U.S. population has been diagnosed with the coronavirus. Approximately 5% of the 2.6 million cases in the U.S. have resulted in death.

Obviously, not everyone has been tested. However, with students assembling in large numbers on campuses in the fall, that ramps up the overall risk and likelihood of infection at universities.

"I guarantee someone is going to die," Jacobson said. "The virus does not discriminate."

Linemen are the most susceptible because of their generally obese body types.

Jacobson's estimates were backed up by Dr. Michael Saag, professor of medicine and infectious diseases at UAB.

This does not consider the toll on coaches and other staff which will be at much higher risk than the players. Everyone in these sports is at higher risk to become infected as they are engaged in high risk activities and putting coaches and staff in a bubble is not possible on game day, much less practice and other related activities. That is not an option grounded in reality.

Cherry picking is not science. Using unreliable data to create an estimate from a single source in a city thousands of miles from the US and then extrapolating that to the whole of the US when more relevant data is available is, at best, bad science.

The article linked and quoted about a study to answer this specific question is much better suited to make a realistic scenario for college football in this country.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It seems illogical in the extreme to my admittedly simple mind to say that Georgia and Georgia Tech cannot play each other due to Covid BUT Georgia CAN travel to Missouri to play an SEC game.

ETA:
I mean, I could probably list a dozen examples.

Iowa cannot play nearby Iowa State but CAN play Ohio State?
Maryland can play way over in Illinois but NOT play Towson State?
Wisconsin CAN go to Maryland but CANNOT host Notre Dame?

I mean, this defies all logic.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
This is gibberish from a biased source using a study that provides estimates from a population in Geneva Switzerland that we are supposed to extrapolate to the US population? That makes no sense. It's bad "science" and is not relevant to a US population.

This does not consider the toll on coaches and other staff which will be at much higher risk than the players. Everyone in these sports is at higher risk to become infected as they are engaged in high risk activities and putting coaches and staff in a bubble is not possible on game day, much less practice and other related activities. That is not an option grounded in reality.

Cherry picking is not science. Using unreliable data to create an estimate from a single source in a city thousands of miles from the US and then extrapolating that to the whole of the US when more relevant data is available is, at best, bad science.

The article linked and quoted about a study to answer this specific question is much better suited to make a realistic scenario for college football in this country.
I think people are continuing to miss this aspect of sports and schools. Coaches are generally older and so are teachers. The college and school age kids may not be effected by the virus, but the people working with them could be greatly effected.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
It seems illogical in the extreme to my admittedly simple mind to say that Georgia and Georgia Tech cannot play each other due to Covid BUT Georgia CAN travel to Missouri to play an SEC game.

ETA:
I mean, I could probably list a dozen examples.

Iowa cannot play nearby Iowa State but CAN play Ohio State?
Maryland can play way over in Illinois but NOT play Towson State?
Wisconsin CAN go to Maryland but CANNOT host Notre Dame?

I mean, this defies all logic.
I had to chuckle seeing this. There is nothing "simple" about your mind. All of these things you pointed out do defy logic. Anything that makes sense will not be done.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.