Big 10 Will Play Conference ONLY This Fall

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It seems illogical in the extreme to my admittedly simple mind to say that Georgia and Georgia Tech cannot play each other due to Covid BUT Georgia CAN travel to Missouri to play an SEC game.

ETA:
I mean, I could probably list a dozen examples.

Iowa cannot play nearby Iowa State but CAN play Ohio State?
Maryland can play way over in Illinois but NOT play Towson State?
Wisconsin CAN go to Maryland but CANNOT host Notre Dame?

I mean, this defies all logic.
I imagine they believe that as a conference they can apply rules that would not work for outside institutions and it is that, not geography, that they are counting on. My imagination could be wrong, though. You do make some a good point.

• Thank You
Reactions: ALA2262 and Con

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
There will be no games. These announcements are simply being made at the last possible moment. This was a deadline announcement now for the Big Ten. I expect the other conferences to follow. As we get close to August and September, other announcements will be made. Maybe a delay of the start of the season. As more time passes, ultimately, the announcement that this season has been cancelled will be made.

Dunnaway and company were talking about what a conference only schedule means for the playoffs. I know they've got to talk about it as if it is going to happen. But it's not going to happen.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
There will be no games. These announcements are simply being made at the last possible moment. This was a deadline announcement now for the Big Ten. I expect the other conferences to follow. As we get close to August and September, other announcements will be made. Maybe a delay of the start of the season. As more time passes, ultimately, the announcement that this season has been cancelled will be made.

Dunnaway and company were talking about what a conference only schedule means for the playoffs. I know they've got to talk about it as if it is going to happen. But it's not going to happen.
Seems like the grieving process at work. First it was denial. Seems like we are in the bargaining stage now. "Well, if we can just do conference games everything will be OK". Reality will set in and acceptance will occur. I'm really sad about the whole thing. We could have had college football if only people everywhere had done what was necessary, but we won't.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the MLB is finding out that travel and control are two things that do not go together. The Braves just lost their 2nd best bat and their star closer for the near future because some family friend had it. The only way to control the spread is the bubble and quarantine model. But we know damn well the NCAA would never go for it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Seems like the grieving process at work. First it was denial. Seems like we are in the bargaining stage now. "Well, if we can just do conference games everything will be OK". Reality will set in and acceptance will occur. I'm really sad about the whole thing. We could have had college football if only people everywhere had done what was necessary, but we won't.
Well if this is bargaining then what was anger. *** blue***

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This is gibberish from a biased source using a study that provides estimates from a population in Geneva Switzerland that we are supposed to extrapolate to the US population? That makes no sense. It's bad "science" and is not relevant to a US population.

I suggest using a source with less bias using relevant data based on information from the real world in the US and not an estimate based on a study out of Geneva.

Due to the unreliability of serum antibody tests at this stage infection fatality rates derived from such seroprevalence are completely unreliable as true estimates. In any case using the population of Geneva to project a rate in the US makes no sense from a scientific standpoint.

A more appropriate projection regarding the US was done. Link:

Quote:

A noted University of Illinois computer science professor has some troubling data to consider regarding widespread infection and even death.

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19.

"A few of them could end up in the hospital, and you'll have a small number who could die," Jacobson told CBS Sports. "I don't want to sugar coat it for you. I just want to give you the facts. … If everybody comes together under normal circumstances, we'll probably see that kind of outcome."

Jacobson made his projections from CDC data that estimates one death per 1,000 people who have symptoms in the college age group (18-22). Taking into account that range and medical care provided for football players, the death rate would be lower than the general population, Jacobson said.

He stressed those numbers could change. Based on available statistics, less than 1% of the U.S. population has been diagnosed with the coronavirus. Approximately 5% of the 2.6 million cases in the U.S. have resulted in death.

Obviously, not everyone has been tested. However, with students assembling in large numbers on campuses in the fall, that ramps up the overall risk and likelihood of infection at universities.

"I guarantee someone is going to die," Jacobson said. "The virus does not discriminate."

Linemen are the most susceptible because of their generally obese body types.

Jacobson's estimates were backed up by Dr. Michael Saag, professor of medicine and infectious diseases at UAB.

This does not consider the toll on coaches and other staff which will be at much higher risk than the players. Everyone in these sports is at higher risk to become infected as they are engaged in high risk activities and putting coaches and staff in a bubble is not possible on game day, much less practice and other related activities. That is not an option grounded in reality.

Cherry picking is not science. Using unreliable data to create an estimate from a single source in a city thousands of miles from the US and then extrapolating that to the whole of the US when more relevant data is available is, at best, bad science.

The article linked and quoted about a study to answer this specific question is much better suited to make a realistic scenario for college football in this country.
The bottom two were CDC. Look closer. You might see what I mean. Maybe instead of trying to be rude you could be more careful.

• Facepalm
Reactions: dtgreg and B1GTide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we watched this exact thing play out in early march with basketball, baseball, soccer, etc.

Reactions: dtgreg

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Some people swear we had Covid and Flu season this year.
Yep! My uncle was in the hospital in March for a week with H1N1 swine flu. Of course the state went into lockdown shortly after even though we didn't have many hospitalizations at the time for covid.

Covid is a lot more widespread and spreading now than then so you can just imagine what it will be like when flu season returns! ;)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
The bottom two were CDC. Look closer. You might see what I mean. Maybe instead of trying to be rude you could be more careful.
I was referring to the other source, which is gibberish. Please notice I criticized the source and the methods. That is neither rude nor politics. My fuse is short regarding bad science since there is so much of it lately. Please don’t take it personally as it’s not intended to be personal.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I was referring to the other source, which is gibberish. Please notice I criticized the source and the methods. That is neither rude nor politics. My fuse is short regarding bad science since there is so much of it lately. Please don’t take it personally as it’s not intended to be personal.
It's been an infuriating part of this entire ordeal. I want the positive outlooks to be true. I pray for them to be true. Reality doesn't seem to line up with it though. All I know to do is to stay the hell away from other people as much as I possibly can. A lot of people can't accept that. I get it. We are a social species.

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Football teams have done themselves a disservice by scheduling cupcakes. Lack of attendance and low TV ratings show that fans don’t care for the games.

Maybe it takes a pandemic to force you think outside of the box. Hopefully the power 5 conferences mandate two games between conferences and the remainder conference games. Build it and they will come.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
we watched this exact thing play out in early march with basketball, baseball, soccer, etc.
Sort of but not "quite" the same.

It's almost like those were forced on people so quickly that they reacted and at the time there was no time for grief. Baseball then drew it out because they were waiting to open.

But I DO get and for the most part agree with your point. This is worse because those sports never had a chance to start planning, it was an instant reaction. CFB we were hoping to be past the worst part of it by the fall, even with a minimal delay or cancellation of maybe early games.

Reactions: 92tide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Incidentally, the Denton (TX) school district announced today they "expect" all teachers including the online teachers to be in place and ready to go on August 26. This is in a state where the future of this year's high school football is up for grabs.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Play the games. The fans stay home. Put Saban (and anyone else over 60) in the booth.

Playing only conference games does what? If there is a threat by playing games, how does this help?

If there isn’t a threat, play them all

“Hey, are these eggs spoiled? Yes? Well instead of 12, I’ll buy just 8”

🤦‍♂️
The conference would have no control over the FIFTY SIX OOC schools and what they do or don't do. They have complete control over the 14 SEC schools and what they do or don't do. That is what playing only conference games does in answer to your question.

I emphasized the 56 because that is also the number of SEC games that are scheduled. Ridiculous for a conference to play as many OOC games as they do conference games. So with the season screwed up anyway, why not play a full 13 game round robin SEC schedule. And I can't say here what to tell the NCAA if they object.

Last edited:
Reactions: spock*

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
why not play a full 13 game round robin SEC schedule.
Simple - there will be no way to justify the risks. The incrementalist announcements are an example of bargaining and nothing more. Reality will set in eventually. I doubt there is still time to save the season since so many are still unwilling to follow basic public health recommendations. The toll on college sports, but especially in lives lost and forever altered, is heartbreaking.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Agreed. I think this will be reminiscent of being in an airport, and your flight gets delayed. And delayed. And delayed again. Finally, after all options that would have been available earlier are no longer options, it gets cancelled.

You spend the night on the airport floor, or in a HoJo surrounded by razor wire (a real scenario Mrs. Basket Case and I experienced in Newark).

It works like this:

Season is on.

OK, it’s still on, but with reduced fans.

OK, no fans.

Well, arright, no non-conference games. But the conference is still on. You betchum, Red Ryder.

Wait, maybe we better wait until November, and push post-season into February.

OK everybody....Spring football! Playoffs coincide with the NFL draft.

[Bad words] We can’t play. Season cancelled.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.