Big Ten May Rotate Title Game Sites

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I’m not sure why they’re so afraid to play outdoors in December - you know, like some northern diehards say about SEC teams….??????

This could maybe be a good idea. Maybe not.
I see it as Minnesota folks and Michigan folks saying “ we have domes in bigger cities than Indianapolis”. They really are trying the old Big XII model of rotating it between the Alamo dome and Arrowhead to make member states happy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I see it as Minnesota folks and Michigan folks saying “ we have domes in bigger cities than Indianapolis”. They really are trying the old Big XII model of rotating it between the Alamo dome and Arrowhead to make member states happy.
Yeah, but Arrowhead doesn't have a dome, and it's a loud contingent of the B1G faithful who tell the rest of us that lie about "SEC teams are afraid to play up north in the winter."

So I will never cease mocking them for insisting on playing indoors in the winter.

Given who has won the title games thus far, I'm thinking Indy is the perfect spot for the game.

Reactions: buckeyeFB_

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah, but Arrowhead doesn't have a dome, and it's a loud contingent of the B1G faithful who tell the rest of us that lie about "SEC teams are afraid to play up north in the winter."

So I will never cease mocking them for insisting on playing indoors in the winter.

Given who has won the title games thus far, I'm thinking Indy is the perfect spot for the game.
I was more referring to how Kansas St and Missouri forced the Big XII to rotate the championship between Arrowhead, St Louis, and Texas depending on if the North or South was the home team.

Minnesota is probably the one pushing this because their dome is one of the newest.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was more referring to how Kansas St and Missouri forced the Big XII to rotate the championship between Arrowhead, St Louis, and Texas depending on if the North or South was the home team.

Minnesota is probably the one pushing this because their dome is one of the newest.
That and they have a city to rebuild and need the money.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
That line of logic from big 10 fans makes me laugh. I don’t understand why anyone who is trying to defeat you in competition should give you a so called advantage (if it really is one). “You should have have to play us in the winter.” Why? If it’s the advantage you say it is why should my team give that to you???? My team is trying to beat your team.

Reactions: buckeyeFB_

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That line of logic from big 10 fans makes me laugh. I don’t understand why anyone who is trying to defeat you in competition should give you a so called advantage (if it really is one). “You should have have to play us in the winter.” Why? If it’s the advantage you say it is why should my team give that to you???? My team is trying to beat your team.
They verbalize it in such a way as to give themselves an out (and an excuse if they lose), but they don't show a lot of awareness. It's more of a "let's attack the SEC and diminish them" rather than a reality-based argument.

Because the bowl games are 90% of the contests - and because the SEC wins about 5/8 of the head-to-head contests since 2010....they have to come up with an excuse as to why the SEC isn't "REALLY" better than the Big Ten is even when it gets demonstrated on the football field. The Big Ten has not had a winning record against the SEC in any decade since the 1970s, although to be fair, a huge chunk of those games are Kentucky-Indiana (22 contests since 1980), which is hardly representative of the best teams.

So they took the old "SEC teams don't play road games" argument and did something they know will never happen - "the SEC is afraid to play road games up north in November." The IMPLICATION (which has zero basis in reality) is that the SEC would come up to the cold and get whomped, and they're afraid of this. It has the back door excuse of, "We only lose all those bowl games because they're all in warm weather cities."

Of course:
1) the Big Ten rarely has any open dates in November
2) the SEC has a fewer open dates in November, but nobody is giving up the money game
3) fans this ignorant KNOW that the SEC not playing up north in November has nothing to do with it, because does anyone REALLY think that Alabama and Ohio State want to play each other the week prior to their big rivalry game? This is not just an SEC thing. But since these fans know it will never happen, they can allege (without proof) that the SEC is not only artificial, but cowardly, too.

But it's not like Alabama and Michigan would be playing a game outdoor in Duluth, MN at Thanksgiving in a blinding snowstorm. It DOES get colder than the south up north in the winter, but as B1G has noted, that really happens in late January to early March (and having lived in Illinois one winter, I can support this with personal experience).

Fact is, on occasion sometimes the weather up north is better on some game days than in the south. The 2010 Iron Bowl was near freezing temps that day, but you'll still have occasional 70 degree days in Champaign or West Lafayette on game day, too, even in November.

It's a ruse, a way to invent to get around getting beat, and I always point out that they sure have a love affair with Pasadena and it's average January 1 temp of 74 degrees for a conference that only loses because it's warm.

buckeyeFB_

3rd Team
Jun 24, 2019

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I can only think of 3 domed stadiums in the B1G footprint, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, and Detroit. None are really B1G10 venues, with maybe the exception of Minnesota. Not sure anybody really cares where or if the game is played.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I can only think of 3 domed stadiums in the B1G footprint, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, and Detroit. None are really B1G10 venues, with maybe the exception of Minnesota. Not sure anybody really cares where or if the game is played.
The idea behind Indianapolis was that it was the newest stadium at the time and a centralized location. Putting it in Detroit or Minneapolis really does nothing but further prove the point that they really should do best record host the game. Because unless it’s Wisconsin or Nebraska… no one is coming to watch Ohio St win another title.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

No fear of home field advantage there.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No fear of home field advantage there.
The PAC 12 initially had it right in that it was at home stadiums of the higher ranked teams. Those were packed houses. But then they decided to move to Santa Clara and it showed how little interest the game was.

only the Big XII and SEC have great attendances every year, and it’s because it’s in a location that isn’t really crazy and the teams love going. The B1G is basically Ohio St on one side and a punching bag on the other. If the West is Wisconsin then they will bring a crowd, otherwise it’s not worth talking about and would be better on home sites.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.