BREAKING OLD THREAD - Bill O’Brien a candidate for OC (update: officially hired!)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
There were a lot of people on this site that were not happy about Sark being re-hired 2 years ago. To me you just have to trust that Saban knows what he wants.
Yeah, at this stage if Saban hires O'Brien it's because he knows what he could bring to next year's team and it will greatly benefit us. So, I'm good...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Just keep him out of the draft room. ;)
I know you are kidding, at least kindah. But it is a common misperception. His drafting wasn't necessarily bad, e.g., he took Watson after many had passed on him. It was 2 trades, where he was trying to win now. He won a weak division 4 out of 6 years, but wanted to advance further in the playoffs. He traded too many draft picks for a LT to help Watson. Then he traded away a HOF type WR in Hopkins to get a good RB and a 2nd and 4th round pick (IMO, to try and recoup some of the picks given to Miami). He got Brandin Cooks who is very good but not as good as Hopkins. Actually, the overall Houston WR corps is good when healthy with Cooks, Fuller and Cobb, among others. So, he made mistakes in those trades, but they were for a specific worthy purpose and IMO, were not as bad as some claim. He is not an idiot - he's a Brown grad.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Does it really matter??? I mean, it's not like CNS is going to hire a Jr. High coach or something.

At this point, whoever he hires we've got to just say, "Trust Saban."

And with the offensive talent of this latest recruiting cycle, there's probably a line of candidates forming outside of the Mal Moore football complex this morning!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Is it crazy to suggest O'Brien continue using the offense we have instead of learning a new one? Hoping he was here learning the one we use. My brother thinks it would be too confusing to do so.
Maybe he can MODIFY the one we have to make it even better.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I know you are kidding, at least kindah. But it is a common misperception. His drafting wasn't necessarily bad, e.g., he took Watson after many had passed on him. It was 2 trades, where he was trying to win now. He won a weak division 4 out of 6 years, but wanted to advance further in the playoffs. He traded too many draft picks for a LT to help Watson. Then he traded away a HOF type WR in Hopkins to get a good RB and a 2nd and 4th round pick (IMO, to try and recoup some of the picks given to Miami). He got Brandin Cooks who is very good but not as good as Hopkins. Actually, the overall Houston WR corps is good when healthy with Cooks, Fuller and Cobb, among others. So, he made mistakes in those trades, but they were for a specific worthy purpose and IMO, were not as bad as some claim. He is not an idiot - he's a Brown grad.
Not nearly as bad as some of the Falcon's draft moves

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I don't think it is a done deal yet. Not fond of him because 1 he is a hothead and 2 being associated with state penn. If anyone can handle him though its Coach Saban.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
If there is ANYTHING none of us should ever do, is question Nick Saban's football prowess. Has he lost games before? Sure. 23 times he's lost as head coach of Alabama. But, he was won 165 games officially, 170 on the field. That's a nearly 90% winning percentage.

Try that on for size.

Coach Bryant won 232 games at Alabama, and finished with 323 wins overall as a head coach. Nick Saban averages over 12 wins per season, and no reason to believe that won't continue as long as he wants to. In 5 years, at age 74, he could meet or exceed Coach Bryant's record at Alabama.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I've got Finebaum on the TV right now, just for sport, and a lady just asked him if Saban had hired the new OC yet. Finebaum said O'Brien was in the mix, but nothing decided yet.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.