BREAKING OLD THREAD - Bill O’Brien a candidate for OC (update: officially hired!)

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I know you’re joking, but if the guy that has beat CNS more than any other coach in college football wanted to come compare notes and and reveal what he saw at times that he could exploit in our defense, I’d be all for it!
I could see Saban giving Gus a shot as an analyst

as for Stoutland, Bama could bring him back and let someone else do the recruiting?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
His resume looks like he had nothing to do with PSU until he was hired after Paterno. He was on the Patriots staff until hired as the HC at PSU post Paterno. Is that not correct?
I am aware of that but IMHO state penn should have ceased to exist as a football program. Some things just shouldn't be forgiven.

Reactions: B1GTide

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
So for the x's and o's guys that know anything about him, what should we expect? More of the same with RPO? I cannot imagine Saban letting up on the gas offensively at this point knowing that is the way to win now.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
So for the x's and o's guys that know anything about him, what should we expect? More of the same with RPO? I cannot imagine Saban letting up on the gas offensively at this point knowing that is the way to win now.
I think it will be a flavor in the offense, but not like Lock’s was. I think we angle for showing these dual threat guys that coming to Bama means you’ll get the coaching needed to take your passing skills and reading a defense to the NFL level because we have NFL guys teaching you how to do it.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I think it will be a flavor in the offense, but not like Lock’s was. I think we angle for showing these dual threat guys that coming to Bama means you’ll get the coaching needed to take your passing skills and reading a defense to the NFL level because we have NFL guys teaching you how to do it.
This! I believe hiring nfl guys or coaches who have tasted nfl bring that knowledge of nfl pro style plus a little rpo

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
No, the guess would be that it would be more Pro-style. If it was his offense, which it won't be, it would be a very sophisticated NE Pat type offense, with incredible sophistication in the route-running. Doubt that he would be able to fully duplicate that with college kids with limited practice time. The QBs and WRs really have to be sync'ed up to be successful but would be impossible for college D to stop. Bama's O would look like 3 DS's running wide open on every play.

O'Brien is a great QB coach with every bit the intelligence and sophistication of Sark, with a better resume. Another great thing is that like Sark, OB incorporates the running game into his offense. But Sarkisian's play calling instincts are very good, don't know how O'Brien's stack up. Sark also considers players' input, which IMO is wise for 2 reasons, don't know if O'Brien does that.

As far as his relationship with players that is sometimes questioned, Tom Brady had this to say when O'Brien was fired earlier this year:
“That was really tough to see,” Brady admitted. “I’ve known Billy for a long time. I think he's a hell of a coach. I think he does a great job. He has great leadership ability, and it’s a very difficult part of the profession. I’ve thought he’s done a great job in Houston over the years. Those guys really seemed to love playing for him.
Brady and Edelman both expressed "love playing for him" in another artlcle from 2011 or 12 that I can't find. He left NE after 2011, the year after an O'Brien coached Cassel replaced the injured Brady and they had an 11-5 year. Cassel never had that kind of success again.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.