BREAKING OLD THREAD - Bill O’Brien a candidate for OC (update: officially hired!)

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
ah crap he's already traded Mac Jones and Najee for a 2nd round draft pick and a player to be named later.
Bill O'Brien would be a fabulous hire, probably the best in the country. He is an elite QB coach and has been a terrific HC and OC. He led Tom Brady to his greatest year in 2010. Next year he made Matt Cassel an 11-5 QB, he was never the same after O'Brien left. He makes Mike Bobo seem like a kindergarten instructor. Bama's staff is close to incomparable in the college ranks, certainly in the SEC, and will improve with the hire of Bill O'Brien.

Btw, his GM failures, though real, were not nearly as bad as some claim and they were for sound strategic reasons and had some economic considerations.

But again, O'Brien is at least a homerun hire, maybe a grandslam, since Bama will have the bases loaded when he gets here. Bill O'Brien is a very smart man. Alabama will be fortunate if the hire is consummated.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Saban has said many times that the OC runs his offense. Plays and wrinkles are added, but it's Saban's offense.
This is absolutely the truth. I posted this on another thread recently. In an interview before Sarks first year, he said he met with Nick and Nick told him what he wanted. Sark drew up the plays then took them back to Nick for approval or tweaks. Sark said it was Nicks offense!

Reactions: Con

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Does it really matter??? I mean, it's not like CNS is going to hire a Jr. High coach or something.

At this point, whoever he hires we've got to just say, "Trust Saban."

And with the offensive talent of this latest recruiting cycle, there's probably a line of candidates forming outside of the Mal Moore football complex this morning!
Auburn does that...

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
I could see Saban giving Gus a shot as an analyst

as for Stoutland, Bama could bring him back and let someone else do the recruiting?
Stoutland will have what he needs to be successful for the next three years but i remember the general consensus was he left the cupboard pretty bare when he left.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I can't even imagine Gus being brought in as an analyst. He just seems too full of Auburn for that.

BUT, if that happened it would be the funniest thing ever!!! Much sweeter than what happened with Butch!

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Stoutland will have what he needs to be successful for the next three years but i remember the general consensus was he left the cupboard pretty bare when he left.
Yeah, that was an issue.................I'm sure Saban has a plan for that...............probably a pro offensive line coach

I dont think Gus will be an analyst..............probably get a job at a smaller school. He could be Butch's OC. Speaking of Butch, does he get an NC ring for being with the team all year?

Reactions: smith5753

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I dont think Gus will be an analyst..............probably get a job at a smaller school. He could be Butch's OC. Speaking of Butch, does he get an NC ring for being with the team all year?
Yes, pretty sure about Butch getting a ring.

I'm not saying Gus will come be an analyst, but the problem with him moving straight to another job is it may impact the amount Auburn has to pay him. Pretty sure that's why Butch didn't immediately go back in to on the field coaching. He was making more with his buyout than he probably could by taking another job. UT paid him to hang out with CNS for a couple of years, basically.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Yes, pretty sure about Butch getting a ring.

I'm not saying Gus will come be an analyst, but the problem with him moving straight to another job is it may impact the amount Auburn has to pay him. Pretty sure that's why Butch didn't immediately go back in to on the field coaching. He was making more with his buyout than he probably could by taking another job. UT paid him to hang out with CNS for a couple of years, basically.
I think ole Gus will go on a long vacation................then take a job somewhere outside the SEC.

Butch should get that ring.............

Reactions: Tenntiderman

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think this is a good thread for this video. If a mod thinks differently, free free to open a new thread. It's a clinic presentation by Sark on our RPO offense. To me, some of his comments allude to the offense being Alabama's as opposed to just his. Very informative.

This is outstanding on many different levels...thanks for sharing.

Reactions: MemphisBamaDude

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I have to question this just a bit. I've heard that argument about Stoutland over the years but don't our coaches recruit areas of the country and not positions? If we didn't sign a particular offensive linemen was that Stoutland's fault or the coach that was recruiting that player? Perhaps he had a problem identifying who to go after? All I know is he is a heckuva offensive line coach and I would welcome him back with open arms assuming there wasn't some internal issue that we don't know about. We have some coaches on staff who are great at recruiting so let them be the primary recruiters.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
It appears the only thing holding-up an official announcement at this point, is the legal aspect of working out the contractual elements of the hire.
This is slightly an ambiguous article if we're gonna lawyah, but it sure seems to confirm a "done deal" if CNS would say this to the press. Thoughts?

Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.