BREAKING OLD THREAD - Bill O’Brien a candidate for OC (update: officially hired!)

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
I have to question this just a bit. I've heard that argument about Stoutland over the years but don't our coaches recruit areas of the country and not positions? If we didn't sign a particular offensive linemen was that Stoutland's fault or the coach that was recruiting that player? Perhaps he had a problem identifying who to go after? All I know is he is a heckuva offensive line coach and I would welcome him back with open arms assuming there wasn't some internal issue that we don't know about. We have some coaches on staff who are great at recruiting so let them be the primary recruiters.
Yeah if you look at all the big guys this year they each have a different primary guy consisting of either Huff, Scott, or Kelly. But coach Flood is listed as secondary for all of them. Without insider info it’s hard to know how much of a role he played in pulling in these guys this year. I know on paper this is our best offensive line class.

Having said that I would be happy with a coach as good as Stoutland, and there’s no telling what may have led to some of those misses in recruiting when he was here. Plus, we’ll get our guys just being who we are more often than not.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I know Jeff Stoutland has been at least mentioned, but are there any rumblings about other potential O line coaches? O and D lines are sooooo critical to success.

Down4ttown

Suspended
Dec 16, 2011
Stoutland for his on the field coaching is my number one but there may be someone better. The devil you know and all that....

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I posted earlier in the thread that O'Brien was the QB coach at NE the year that Matt Cassel was the NE QB. I was wrong, he was the WR coach, he became QB coach the next year. Also, he was not the QB coach during their undefeated reg season as I implied, though he did coach Brady to 3 of his (2 QB coach, 1 OC) best years. I had the years he was QB coach and OC right but was wrong on the year of the undefeated reg season in my mind. IMO, it really doesn't change the opinion of O'Brien's QB coaching capabilities but it does remove Cassel from being an example of his prowess.

A couple of people referenced that post, so my error was propagated. My sincere apologies.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Yes, pretty sure about Butch getting a ring.

I'm not saying Gus will come be an analyst, but the problem with him moving straight to another job is it may impact the amount Auburn has to pay him. Pretty sure that's why Butch didn't immediately go back in to on the field coaching. He was making more with his buyout than he probably could by taking another job. UT paid him to hang out with CNS for a couple of years, basically.
A coaches "new" salary is deducted from what he's owed. That's why these guys come to Bama for 48K a year...We paid the 48K, the Vols paid him $4,952,000 per year while he worked with us to beat them...it's freaking hilarious...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I can't even imagine Gus being brought in as an analyst. He just seems too full of Auburn for that.

BUT, if that happened it would be the funniest thing ever!!! Much sweeter than what happened with Butch!
It would be a bad idea to bring in a guy that is awbern's payroll... :cool:

Reactions: JayBama_in_PCOLA

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
According to some internet chatter, O'Brien may be a target to replace Pruitt at UT.
Considering they announced they'll hire an AD first then let the AD hire the new HC, I'd say there are likely zero coaches on the list so far, in reality. There isn't even a list yet.

Were I a gambling man, I'd wager Steele is the interim HC for the 2021 season.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Considering they announced they'll hire an AD first then let the AD hire the new HC, I'd say there are likely zero coaches on the list so far, in reality. There isn't even a list yet.

Agree. A lowcost known entity to stabilize. The NCAA investigation isn't concluded so they are unlikely to find who they consider to be their "coach of the future" until that concludes and the penalty plays out. Luke at Ole Miss and Matt Luke. They've got their guy now that the mess Hugh left is cleaned up.

Reactions: B1GTide

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I would tend to agree. Steele will be HC through 2021. And no decent coach in their right mind would take that job until it is clear how bad things are. Almost like SMU had Forrest Gregg (former SMU player) come in after the NCAA hammer.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.