Bill O'Brien and USC

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Don't kid yourself - USC is still a premier job. Suggesting otherwise makes us sound like opposing fans saying "Bama's dead and will never return".

There's tons of history and some of the hottest recruiting in the country in their back yard. USC can be back in the hunt every year with the right hire.
Couldn’t you sub “Miami Hurricanes” and say the same thing ?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well. Over the last 40 years I’d say Miami has been better. Over the past 50 about even. How far back do you want to go?
I would take 40 and still say USC. Yeah 5 vs 2, but college football hasn’t changed in a way that drastically places USC behind the 8 ball like it has with Miami. When it’s a 45 minute bus ride to a home game and zero fan support then it’s a sign of a horrible program. Miami is more in the tier that Virginia Tech is. USC is far closer to Alabama, Oklahoma, and Ohio St. Given the right coach they could be a force. Miami could go through 4 to 5 right coaches and be no better for it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Right now USCw and Miami are about even with regards to impact on college football.

Three SEC HCs made up three of their last 4 coaches. 2 were our OCs. The other one won a NC.

And none had any kind of real success there. In the middle of a recruiting Mecca.

Perhaps if Saban doesn’t come to Bama we find the same fate. Don’t know.

But in 2021 to compare Bama to USCw is tough to swallow.

USCw to Miami is much closer than the Trojans are to the Tide.

Reactions: Ledsteplin

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well. Over the last 40 years I’d say Miami has been better. Over the past 50 about even. How far back do you want to go?
Go back as little or as much as you want - if you really don't think the real blue-bloods like Alabama and USC can rise from the ashes to dominate again (rather than doing it briefly, once, as UM did), then I don't know what to say to you.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
USC has all of the advantages of Texas, without the disadvantages of having the SEC in its backyard stealing recruits. USC has Texas money from its boosters. USC is in the middle of one of the biggest recruiting beds in the game. USC has tradition. USC has a very supportive fan base.

USC isn't Alabama, but no one else is Alabama, either. The right coach at USC can win championships - lots of championships. And the head coach of USC is someone whose name will be known across the sport, win or lose.

They don't have a lot of recent championships, but that doesn't make them unattractive.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Right now USCw and Miami are about even with regards to impact on college football.

Three SEC HCs made up three of their last 4 coaches. 2 were our OCs. The other one won a NC.

And none had any kind of real success there. In the middle of a recruiting Mecca.

Perhaps if Saban doesn’t come to Bama we find the same fate. Don’t know.

But in 2021 to compare Bama to USCw is tough to swallow.

USCw to Miami is much closer than the Trojans are to the Tide.
Again, you sound just like all of Alabama's rivals just before they hired Saban...

Yet most everyone acknowledges that Saban couldn't have done what he's done at Bama just anywhere - it took a special place.

Acting as if USC doesn't have similar possibilities waiting to be utilized is ignoring history.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Go back as little or as much as you want - if you really don't think the real blue-bloods like Alabama and USC can rise from the ashes to dominate again (rather than doing it briefly, once, as UM did), then I don't know what to say to you.
I really hate the word blue blood when talking about college football because teams like Michigan, Nebraska, and Texas continually use it to act like they are something. But there are 5 regional programs that will always be a big deal.

1) Alabama (South)
2) Ohio St ( North)
3) Notre Dame (Midwest)
4) Oklahoma (Southern Midwest)
5) USC (West)

All 5 can survive probation and rivals rising. No other program outside those really can.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really hate the word blue blood when talking about college football because teams like Michigan, Nebraska, and Texas continually use it to act like they are something. But there are 5 regional programs that will always be a big deal.

1) Alabama (South)
2) Ohio St ( North)
3) Notre Dame (Midwest)
4) Oklahoma (Southern Midwest)
5) USC (West)

All 5 can survive probation and rivals rising.
The weird thing - Notre Dame really isn't a Midwestern school - never has been. Historically, Notre Dame has recruited nationally, and really dominated recruiting in the Northeast. Ohio State and UM ate up all of the Midwestern recruits because Notre Dame had such a broad reach. They still do. Look at their 2021 roster. Kids from everywhere.

I know that national recruiting is not that big a deal today, but Notre Dame was doing it for decades before anyone else even tried.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Might want to stop at 40. Miami was pretty terrible 1971-1981. They considered dropping the program.
just curious, but does anyone remember when Bama /Miami played in ‘79 . Bama won 30-0 and afterward Schnellenberger asked out of the rest of the contract because he told Coach Bryant he was trying to build a program and couldn’t by getting whacked by Bama all the time? I think we had to play DivII Arkansas st in their place a few years later.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.