Bizarre headlines in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
At least if you get bit by a water moccasin the thing won’t eat you while you are dying.

I’m trying to think of another carnivore that is a bigger threat in the suburbs but I don't have one come to mind.
I have seen a few news stories where bears have wandered down into suburbs.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I have seen a few news stories where bears have wondered down into suburbs.
I understand. But bears don’t dismember and eat you on the spot like a gator will. Bears attack and maul, but when have you last heard about a bear eating someone’s leg before they were rescued? 😀

• Wow
Reactions: seebell

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't know about "wondered" but a bear "wandered" into my son's neighborhood in East Cobb a few weeks ago...left a pile of poop in the yard and was caught on a neighbor's video.
We have bears in our yard all the time - more than once/week except in the dead of winter. No big deal. They are only a danger if you come between a momma bear and her cubs up here. I have been within 10 feet of them out working in the yard. They barely even acknowledge your existence - just keep walking through the yard.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
We have bears in our yard all the time - more than once/week except in the dead of winter. No big deal. They are only a danger if you come between a momma bear and her cubs up here. I have been within 10 feet of them out working in the yard. They barely even acknowledge your existence - just keep walking through the yard.
Because they aren't hungry at that time. If they were you would be bear poop.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Because they aren't hungry at that time. If they were you would be bear poop.
Dude, we hunt bears up here - they don't hunt us. If they did hunt us, there would be no more bear up here. We would wipe them out in a week.

Reactions: UAH

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Tufts University lacrosse player dies after choking during hot dog eating contest, authorities say

Madelyn “Madie” Lee Nicpon, 20, of Suffern, New York, was involved in an accident Saturday afternoon at an off-campus house in the small city of Somerville, just 3 miles northwest of Boston, Massachusetts, the university said in a statement. At the time of the incident, Nicpon was participating in a hot dog eating contest as part of a charity fundraiser and choked, according to authorities, the Rockland/Westchester Journal News reported.

A Somerville police spokesperson did not confirm that detail when contacted Thursday by NBC News.

“After first responders performed life-saving procedures on site, Madie was transported to Mt. Auburn Hospital and subsequently transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital, where she passed away on Sunday afternoon,” the university said.
Tufts University lacrosse player dies after choking during hot dog eating contest, authorities say (msn.com)

• Sad
Reactions: Go Bama and seebell

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Maybe not too bizarre but a good place to put this:
PUYALLUP, Wash. - Copper wire thieves caused a power outage taking out the lights for more than 17,000 people.

Puget Sound Energy [PSE] said Tuesday morning the thieves were going after the wire on a line when they cut down a pole to get to the line. The pole then fell and caused the outage.

The outage started around 11 p.m. Monday and took out power for 17,014 customers.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The Saudi's are cheating in their camel beauty contests.

Saudi authorities have conducted their biggest-ever crackdown on camel beauty contestants that received Botox injections and other artificial touch-ups, the state-run Saudi Press Agency reported Wednesday, with over 40 camels disqualified from the annual pageant.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
A homeowner burned down their house in Montgomery County, Maryland, while trying to chase off snakes, officials say.

The homeowner tried to use smoke to fight a snake infestation in a home on Big Woods Road near Poolesville, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer said.

Hot coals got too close to flammable materials, sparking the fire. About 75 firefighters responded at 10 p.m. Tuesday, Piringer said.

The fire spread from the basement and consumed the home, causing more than $1 million in damage, officials say.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I understand. But bears don’t dismember and eat you on the spot like a gator will. Bears attack and maul, but when have you last heard about a bear eating someone’s leg before they were rescued? 😀
Yes, they will. It all depends on the bear and whether it's in a predatory mood. One hiker has been eaten this year in the GSMNP. BTW, in Canada, black bear kill more people every year than grizzlies. Between 2000 and 2017, there were 46 bear attacks in North America, 19 in Canada and 27 in the US, including Alaska. However, there were 48 fatalities. Over half the attacks were by black bears...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Yes, they will. It all depends on the bear and whether it's in a predatory mood. One hiker has been eaten this year in the GSMNP. BTW, in Canada, black bear kill more people every year than grizzlies. Between 2000 and 2017, there were 46 bear attacks in North America, 19 in Canada and 27 in the US, including Alaska. However, there were 48 fatalities. Over half the attacks were by black bears...
46 attacks and 48 fatalities?

• Haha
Reactions: Go Bama
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.