Black Lives Matter thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Head out to the Sawtooths. Here's a photo my daughter took at Redfish Lake. She's a pretty good photographer for 13.

View attachment 16599
I was there in Summer of 2000. It was dreadfully hot (there was a bar in Ketchum we closed every night because they had air conditioning), and there were massive fires in Montana. You couldn't go riding for fear of a horseshoe creating a spark and starting a fire. When I got my pictures back from the developer, there was note with them that said we think there's something wrong with your camera. But it was just the smoke haze from any pictures I took at a distance. Beautiful place though. The headwater of the Salmon River is nearby.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was there in Summer of 2000. It was dreadfully hot (there was a bar in Ketchum we closed every night because they had air conditioning), and there were massive fires in Montana. You couldn't go riding for fear of a horseshoe creating a spark and starting a fire. When I got my pictures back from the developer, there was note with them that said we think there's something wrong with your camera. But it was just the smoke haze from any pictures I took at a distance. Beautiful place though. The headwater of the Salmon River is nearby.
We were backpacking in the Wind Rivers in 1988, the year of the Yellowstone fires. There was a fire in the WR to the west of us, named the "Pinedale Fire." One day, the wind shifted and, when we looked south to the Lizard Head glacier, there was the haze you mention. We were lucky. OTOH, friends of ours went in at the same time but went to the Absarokas, which lie to the east of the Wind Rivers. They were in the main wind path of the fires in Yellowstone. They came back covered in black carbon. It was even in their packs...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh, we barely made it out over Bear's Ears Pass to our car and it snowed overnight down in Dubois. It would have been crotch-high up at the pass. Those snows started putting out the Yellowstone Fires. When we got on the plane to come back, a firefighter from Arkansas sat with us, still attired in his fire-resistant yellow shirt and green pants. He smelled of smoke. He said they'd rousted him out of his tent at 5:00 AM and told him exactly how many hours he still had on the clock, just enough to get to Jackson, board a plane and land in Little Rock (via DFW, which is where we were heading)...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
  • Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.