Black Lives Matter thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
i cant remember if news of the murder of james scurlock by a bar owner in omaha back in may made it on this board or not. anyway, the douchebag who killed him was indicted last week after initially being cleared as acting in self defense by the local d.a. (sounds familiar) killed himself.

Nebraska bar owner Jake Gardner, charged in fatal shooting of unarmed Black protester, dies by suicide, attorney says
The special prosecutor said a lot today.

Gardner was in his bar with the lights off exchanging texts signaling his intent to kill anyone that came inside, i.e. an ambush, and Gardner and his father stepped outside when no one attempted to enter the propertt. There was also an additional video provided by a protester revealing Gardner and his father were the initial aggressors.

This guy was itching to 86 somebody.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

Akazo

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2010

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To me, it means I can be outraged by No-Knock Warrants and the young lady's death even if it was all legal. Don't make a bunch of us come up to your house!
Not what your reply indicated. You seemed to be outraged over the fact that no drugs were found...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
No, you are just not understanding. They had a no-knock warrant. They did not execute it, in that they announced themselves as LEO. This is one reason there was no indictment, except for the officer firing into the adjacent apartment...
IIRC just one witness says they identified & only once right at the beginning. To someone coming out of sleep at 2am if they only said police at the very first knock they might as well not have done it at all.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
IIRC just one witness says they identified & only once right at the beginning. To someone coming out of sleep at 2am if they only said police at the very first knock they might as well not have done it at all.
That may well be true. However, as soon as they did, they were no longer executing a no-knock warrant. That was the point the KY AG was making and he was correct...

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
They screwed up, went to the wrong house and she died, I don't see the criminal activity here.
I just wanted to point out that they did go to the correct house. I am trying to not dive too much into the rumors going around here but her residence was implicated as a potential stash house for money or drugs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just wanted to point out that they did go to the correct house. I am trying to not dive too much into the rumors going around here but her residence was implicated as a potential stash house for money or drugs.
Agreed - I really do not place the police at the scene at fault for what happened. They did their jobs, and were under fire. But the warrant would probably never have been issued if not for the lies used to obtain it. The city paid her family $12MM for a reason. The police were not indicted for her shooting for a reason. There are a lot of victims here, and the police involved are among them. But the department that pursued that warrant is dirty, and all of this is their responsibility.

This is the type of incident that would not have even been noticed last year. It was not noticed this year when it happened. It bubbled forward because of the BLM movement. Our system is flawed. Tragically flawed.

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
I understand where you are coming from. There are so many rumors running through the city that it is difficult to determine what is the truth. At the end of the day there are 3 things you know for sure is that a legal search warrant was issued and tragically someone lost their life and another person was injured. The grand jury believe there was no crimes committed against the Breonna or her boyfriend.

IMO the payment was based on the flawed system.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The grand jury believe there was no crimes committed against the Breonna or her boyfriend.
Grand juries are a system that can be run rough shod over by a DA seeking one specific outcome. Their information is typically limited to what the DA wants them to see.

Not saying specifically that it happened in this case, but that grand jury decisions should be looked at with that lens.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and MobtownK

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
No matter how you slice it, the 'war on drugs' is why she's dead - going in with guns blazing over cash and possible drugs is ridiculous, but over-the-top use of force seems to be what the police are best at nowadays.
The "war on drugs" should be called the War on Lives and Civil Liberties of Americans (for those in the back row). That name would be more accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.