News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

I understand the decision, but in my view, leaving in mid-season is a poor choice.
I do not wish him ill or well. I no longer really care what he does. I was interested in him because he wore a crimson jersey. He has opted out of that team. There are too many players who still wear a crimson jersey for me to spend a lot of time worrying about BB.
Batter up.
RTR

CrimsonEyeshade

All-American
Nov 6, 2007

Read the entire thread over several nights during an ongoing trip to South Africa. A couple of thoughts:

... I'm a big believer in more rights and opportunities for players, but this is extraordinarily bad form for the Family Barnett.

... His dad sounded like a mush-head with that ridiculous tweet a while back that made the kid's spring break visit home sound like the return of Richard the Lion-Hearted from the Crusades. We now see once again where a father's fixation can lead.

... When are we going to wise up on recruiting hyperspeak and star rankings and Elite 11s that signify next to nothing? 7 on 7 is to football what the AAU's running and dunking pageants are to real basketball. They show physical talent, not the ability to play.

All we have heard about Blake was great physical potential and wildly inconsistent performances. Future pro? Based on what? He reminds me of Devonta Pollard, who somehow in his rise to 5-star recruiting heights never learned to shoot or dribble or play defense.

... For the first time in his life, somebody told this young man he wasn't good enough. He apparently didn't like it, which is natural. But his exit makes us think he wasn't willing to put in the work to do something about it. Maybe he's not into that team-first stuff if he can't be the star.

So be it. I like Nick Saban's approach. It's done. Let's all move on.

Last edited:

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

I understand the decision, but in my view, leaving in mid-season is a poor choice.
I do not wish him ill or well. I no longer really care what he does. I was interested in him because he wore a crimson jersey. He has opted out of that team. There are too many players who still wear a crimson jersey for me to spend a lot of time worrying about BB.
Batter up.
RTR
That's fair. Pretty much sums up how I feel.

Some folks are fans of great athletes no matter what jersey they wear. That's cool, but that's just not me. I'm an Alabama football fan. If you don't play for my team (or played your college career for them), you're simply not on my radar.

Farewell, BB8. We hardly knew ye.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

We live in a culture of instant gratification, we don't like to wait, and we want things now. That's todays world, think of it like this you may understand.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

IMO the real issue with this situation and other college football failures, successes, transfers, arrests, firings, etc. is the sports media's spin and social media's ignorance and rush to judgement.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

Unless he winds up playing for a future Alabama opponent, I'm unlikely to give him three seconds of thought.

Now, on the more general topic of manipulating the rules to essentially create college football (and other sports) season-to-season free agency, I have a stronger opinion.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Like me, Alasippi is from Walker County, Alabama; and that gives me some insight. If he has come to an opinion, not even an ISIS cage will change it. For good or bad, that's how we roll.
The Walker County Illuminati?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Hey stop the friendly fire. We've already got enough traitors in our midst as this topic's subject matter can attest.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Like me, Alasippi is from Walker County, Alabama; and that gives me some insight. If he has come to an opinion, not even an ISIS cage will change it. For good or bad, that's how we roll.
I'll agree to an extent j.a.b(Go Vikings).. I can indeed be obstinate at times if I believe something. BUT, at the same time. when my original post say's that you can't blame Blake for chasing his dreams and that I wish him the best, and I get hit from 90 different angles by people butchering the post, is it really me being contrary, or are some particular members going to disagree with my opinion, no matter what it is?

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

I'll agree to an extent j.a.b(Go Vikings).. I can indeed be obstinate at times if I believe something. BUT, at the same time. when my original post say's that you can't blame Blake for chasing his dreams and that I wish him the best, and I get hit from 90 different angles by people butchering the post, is it really me being contrary, or are some particular members going to disagree with my opinion, no matter what it is?
Yep. You the man, Sip.

JDCrimson

All-American
Feb 12, 2006

I have this feeling that his transfer will somehow galvanize the team and cause them to come together

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I think the Barnetts investigated the matter before the season started to see what their options were and decided to leave. If that is the case, he did what is best for him. I don't agree with it, but that's his choice. What concerns me is people may suddenly learn about this and decide to quit just so they can do this without fully investigating the matter and then be stuck.

I do hope the NCAA closes this loophole. Sometimes we need rules to protect us from our own stupidity.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think the Barnetts investigated the matter before the season started to see what their options were and decided to leave. If that is the case, he did what is best for him. I don't agree with it, but that's his choice. What concerns me is people may suddenly learn about this and decide to quit just so they can do this without fully investigating the matter and then be stuck.

I do hope the NCAA closes this loophole. Sometimes we need rules to protect us from our own stupidity.
You are correct in that this has been in the works for weeks. This didn't arrive overnight. The family ultimatum came down quite a while ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.