News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

I don't wish him ill but that is about as far as it goes. Quitter - I am glad we didn't find out in the fourth quarter of a championship game when things weren't going well for him.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Did you forget the blue font? If not that's pretty harsh. It says something bad about you to wish physical ill will on another human being. Bad form man....and Bad karma.
This

I understand the verbal witch burning, but to actually wish bodily harm is very....

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009

If BB were the starter at this point, does he leave the team? If so, then there were outside circumstances going on. I wish him the best, BUT the tide will continue to roll. A player does not define the process, never has and never will.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

If BB were the starter at this point, does he leave the team? If so, then there were outside circumstances going on. I wish him the best, BUT the tide will continue to roll. A player does not define the process, never has and never will.
Is that rhetorical???

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/2ddbQ84

"there’s a way Barnett could suit up for another Division I team this time next year — something known as the 4-2-4 rule.

Barnett is currently attending a four-year university. By transferring immediately to a two-year junior college and amassing a GPA of at least 2.5 over 12 credit hours per semester, he could be eligible to play for another four-year school in 2017 without the normal one-year waiting period.

The report, which is worth a detailed read and is available here, says it’s still uncertain if Barnett would be eligible to start the 2017 season, but if he fulfills the requirements of bylaw 14.5.6, we could see Barnett in a new Division I uniform next year."

sent from my pyromaniac note 7

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Really disappointed to lose Barnett and having read the thread I agree with almost all posters that the timing is not great at all..

But what I will say is that College players have a very small window in which to showcase their talents to NFL scouts. The ultimate goal for almost all College players is to make it to the NFL and I can understand when players feel their window is closing by not getting game time etc..

Also.. Alabama, and all College programs, will do what is best for their particular Program. If that means cutting a players Scholarship, benching a player whatever it is they will do it if it suits them and they will be ruthless. And rightfully so. That being said I think it is slightly hypocritical to then criticize a player for not showing loyalty..

Not to everyone's liking but unfortunately that is just the way things are going with the amount of money in todays game.
I agree with several of your points, especially your implication that this is a legitimate career decision for the player. But I disagree with a couple of important points.

One is that Bama cuts players' scholarships. Where is any evidence of that before 4 years (even before the 4 year rule) ? Bama has carried many players on schol. all 4 years without them ever playing a meaningful down. If they do their school work and keep their nose clean they are welcome to stay 4 years. I've heard CNS say that if a kid does not have the talent, it is a mistake on the staff's evaluation, and not the player's fault, therefore the player is accepted. OTOH, if it is lack of effort or bad behavior, that is on the player. Yes, some leave early because they got a brutally honest annual appraisal that indicated they were unlikely to get meaningful playing time. But that is for everyone's benefit and the player is left to decide. Greg McElroy was told that unless he increased his arm strength and his athletic ability, he would never play a down. Rather than quitting or pouting, he worked and ... It wouldn't have been wrong for him to transfer as some do, but he did not choose that path.

Benching a player - surely you don't consider that ruthless.

The University does show loyalty as I described above regarding the 4 year commitment to the player. That not only includes the scholarship, but being coached just like all of the other players until they have to focus on the ones who will play. Then they still get coached, but not as intensely. The player also has access to all facilities. He is treated like his playing teammates, not shunned or subtly humiliated in order to run him off.

And finally, to my knowledge, none have ever been "run off" in the middle of the season.

So, IMO, some loyalty has been earned by the program, not to mention a sense of loyalty to his teammates.

I never criticize a player for transferring, even if I disagree with his actions, and I'm not doing it here, I'm just addressing certain issues. Even if I disagree with the player's actions, I have sympathy for his plight.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I guess BB made a business decision.
Gotta disagree here, seebell.

If he had left 30 seconds after the last game of the season, it would have been a business decision. And I would have understood and wished him well.

As it is, it's a bleating temper tantrum and will not sit well with new teammates, wherever they may be.

I don't wish him physical injury. I just hope he pays an appropriate price for leaving when he did. Karma is a real female dog when crossed, and I have faith she'll exact her pound of flesh. Don't know when -- she can be slow sometimes -- but she's on her way.

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/2ddbQ84

"there’s a way Barnett could suit up for another Division I team this time next year — something known as the 4-2-4 rule.

Barnett is currently attending a four-year university. By transferring immediately to a two-year junior college and amassing a GPA of at least 2.5 over 12 credit hours per semester, he could be eligible to play for another four-year school in 2017 without the normal one-year waiting period.

The report, which is worth a detailed read and is available here, says it’s still uncertain if Barnett would be eligible to start the 2017 season, but if he fulfills the requirements of bylaw 14.5.6, we could see Barnett in a new Division I uniform next year."

sent from my pyromaniac note 7
Okay, BB has officially quit on the team. If this rule above is applied, what are your thoughts if he ended up at another SEC team next season like Ole Miss, LSU etc. Don't know if that would happen, just love to hear thoughts on that as I think he was also recruited by other SEC schools. Krymsonman

TravHouse

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2015
London, England

I agree with several of your points, especially your implication that this is a legitimate career decision for the player. But I disagree with a couple of important points.

One is that Bama cuts players' scholarships. Where is any evidence of that before 4 years (even before the 4 year rule) ? Bama has carried many players on schol. all 4 years without them ever playing a meaningful down. If they do their school work and keep their nose clean they are welcome to stay 4 years. I've heard CNS say that if a kid does not have the talent, it is a mistake on the staff's evaluation, and not the player's fault, therefore the player is accepted. OTOH, if it is lack of effort or bad behavior, that is on the player. Yes, some leave early because they got a brutally honest annual appraisal that indicated they were unlikely to get meaningful playing time. But that is for everyone's benefit and the player is left to decide. Greg McElroy was told that unless he increased his arm strength and his athletic ability, he would never play a down. Rather than quitting or pouting, he worked and ... It wouldn't have been wrong for him to transfer as some do, but he did not choose that path.

Benching a player - surely you don't consider that ruthless.

The University does show loyalty as I described above regarding the 4 year commitment to the player. That not only includes the scholarship, but being coached just like all of the other players until they have to focus on the ones who will play. Then they still get coached, but not as intensely. The player also has access to all facilities. He is treated like his playing teammates, not shunned or subtly humiliated in order to run him off.

And finally, to my knowledge, none have ever been "run off" in the middle of the season.

So, IMO, some loyalty has been earned by the program, not to mention a sense of loyalty to his teammates.

I never criticize a player for transferring, even if I disagree with his actions, and I'm not doing it here, I'm just addressing certain issues. Even if I disagree with the player's actions, I have sympathy for his plight.
I agree with everything you've said..

The examples I used were not probably the best or all relevant to Alabama specifically but hopefully you could get what I was trying to say..

TravHouse

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2015
London, England

Okay, BB has officially quit on the team. If this rule above is applied, what are your thoughts if he ended up at another SEC team next season like Ole Miss, LSU etc. Don't know if that would happen, just love to hear thoughts on that as I think he was also recruited by other SEC schools. Krymsonman
Funny you should mention that.. both Barnett and his father have started "following" Gators OC/QB Coach Doug Nussmeier on twitter in the last day or so.. hmm

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

I wouldn't be too worried in this scenario, based off what we've seen so far from Barnett.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Just guessing here but if BB felt strongly enough to quit on his team in mid season, there is little chance he was not wearing it on his sleeve and creating discord in the locker room. Maybe he kept it all in and surprised everyone but I have to think he did the team a favor by taking his "me first" mentality down the road.

Question: Does four games on the pine qualify him for a championship ring if Bama gets there?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I hate it losing Blake, but, with the two stud QB recruits we have coming in with this recruiting class..It clears up some congestion at the QB spot next year..Tua & Mac Jones will feel the void the moment they both step on campus.."The Process" rolls on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.