News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

Saban said something on the radio while I was driving back home about how his dad would've tossed him out of the house if he said he was quitting the team but he realizes the kids know their options these days and its "a good thing."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Also:

Segment 3

-- Saban said he read about Kenyan Drake having a good game last week as Dolphins play Thursday night.

-- Saban said Jeremy Pruitt delivered a message to the team before USC game that gave new perspective. He reminded team that there's a state full of people who'll struggle sleeping because they're worried about the game. Helped remind them what it means to the state.

-- Saban laughed when he said he doesn't watch the o-line much in practice because he likes to watched the skill players.

-- McElroy points out Alabama's scored non-offensive TD in every game dating back to the Cotton Bowl.

-- Caller jumps ahead to ask Saban what Tennessee rivalry means to him. Saban handled it very calmly, said it was important to the players but was worried about Kentucky game first.

Segment 2

-- Saban said Steve Sarkisian has been huge with his organizational skills, getting meetings set up.

-- Saban said they hope Damien Harris will be able to play Saturday night against Kentucky.

-- Woody Hayes had an impact on Saban as a young coach at Ohio State even though he was no longer the Buckeyes head coach. Saban had a great story about a conversation about Hayes talking to him in a postgame locker room after beating Michigan.

Segment 1

-- Saban arrived. His first comment to media guest Greg McElroy was about how he waited 3 years to start, then won a national championship. Hard to believe that's a coincidence.

-- Saban says there's a lot of external noise, but everyone inside the program is focused.

-- Eli Gold asks if college football has free agency now, Saban says "the culture has changed a little bit." There's anxiety among highly-touted players, these days. When things don't work out initially, they look for something new quicker than in the past.

-- Saban says he would have been kicked out of his house as a kid if he quit a team. (Read more on Saban's full comments about the transfer culture soon)

-- "The grass is always greener on top of the septic tank," Saban said his dad once said.

-- Peewee from Grand Bay is live in person this week, not on the phone. Saban joked that he only shows up when the offensive line plays better.

-- Saban said Kentucky played a more physical game last week in a 17-10 win over South Carolina. He said it's harder to run inside against the UK 3-4 defense.

-- "This is a much better team than people think," Saban said of Kentucky.
Source

TrueBamafan

Scout Team
Nov 13, 2004

Not going to lose any sleep over this decision I am just glad Jalen is down there or this team with BB running the show might of been a disaster. Yes I know he might of done better if Hurts was not on campus turning heads in practice and A day but BB just never had the "light" come on. The play that told me he was off in the head game wise was when he could not even wait on the receiver to cross before he asked for the ball from the center. He has a good arm but for now that is all he has. He is and was not ready to lead a team.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The only reason this bothers me is because Barnett got almost all the meaningful snaps of the depth at QB. He was the guy the staff was most invested in developing as the emergency option in case Jalen gets hurt on a run or sack. Fortunately, Bateman has a bunch of experience but clearly the we were invested in Barnett in the very real possibility Hurts misses parts of or whole games this season.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008

I wonder if Cornwell works into the backup role and gets some snaps down the road....

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

So, with it being official now, does Alabama give Barnett a release to go wherever he chooses or place restrictions/limitations on potential landing spots? Or, if he goes to a JUCO, does that give him a way around whatever restrictions we may attach to his release?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I wonder if Cornwell works into the backup role and gets some snaps down the road....
Cornwell's foot continues to be a problem. If he can get mobile, his arm is really better than Bateman's, possibly better than Hurts or even BB's. However, it takes more than an arm...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Well different circumstance slightly but Will Grier basically did the same thing last year after he was ruled ineligible for PEDs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

A lot of speculation on where he'll go and what will be the outcome. Earle mentioned it earlier today, and I'm guessing that if the family continues to do what they did here, very few programs will be very eager to pursue him. Would think it would take a program that would be willing to promise BB become the starter the day he becomes eligible.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think that this adversity will bring the team together. This stuff may be a blessing in disguise.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

A lot of speculation on where he'll go and what will be the outcome. Earle mentioned it earlier today, and I'm guessing that if the family continues to do what they did here, very few programs will be very eager to pursue him. Would think it would take a program that would be willing to promise BB become the starter the day he becomes eligible.
One thing is certain - he will not get another shot like he had at Alabama. I do not wish him physical injury, but I do hope that this move bites him in the behind. I hope that he comes to regret this.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

some of you should be ashamed of yourself, wishing injury on him.
Yeah there is a huge difference between wishing that he doesn't succeed and wishing that he tears an acl or something physical. It is pure classlessness. Which is extremely hypocritical because those saying that crap are also accusing him of classlessness.

Fwiw I think it is having no class for what he did, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still uncalled for remarks by those hoping for a career ending injury. I'm all for those for those that are saying their piece about " I hope this doesn't pan out for him" ( which I could care less at this point if he does or doesn't as long as he learns his lesson and earns whatever he gets), but you are right that it is downright shameful by those you are referring to.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

I am embarrassed for any adult who wishes harm on a college aged kid and I am almost embarrassed to be a Bama fan after reading this thread

I would have probably respected Blake more if he had toughed it out for the team but he made his choice and I have to live with it. It doesn't make me hate him.

At least we know that he isn't all in now instead of having to find that out in the 4th quarter of a game where we need him to win it for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.