News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

I agree, but there's a bunch of folks who see it differently.
Is there really a bunch ? I didn't look back but I only remember one. My guess at the most 3, which I agree would be 3 too many. But are there a bunch ? And they've been called out.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Is there really a bunch ? I didn't look back but I only remember one. My guess at the most 3, which I agree would be 3 too many. But are there a bunch ? And they've been called out.
Yah, not sure where 'a bunch' came from. TF.com won't allow that sort of crap.

ETA: just looked back over the last few pages and saw ONE poster hoping he got injured. His post is deleted. If there are more, please point them out. If there are not more, please stop posting as if we're overrun with people hoping BB gets injured.

Last edited:

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010

Hurts and Tua were too much comp for Barnett. Maybe a more relaxed West Coast environment that he's used to will make him feel more comfortable on the field. He's young, but he needs to work on his mental toughness and his delivery/throwing motion. Good luck to the kid!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

ETA: just looked back over the last few pages and saw ONE poster hoping he got injured. His past is deleted. If there are more, please point them out. If there are not more, please stop posting as if we're overrun with people hoping BB gets injured.
I saw some earlier in this thread and the one that prompted my post was the post piggybacking off my comment. Didn't say it outright but implied it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Blake Barnett Transferring

I agree wishing physical injury on someone is going too far.

Now that I read about this loophole, I really don't blame him as much. He is taking advantage of the rules to be able to play next year. Not quite the same as just walking out in a huff. It was a planned departure. I don't like that he did it, but it seems he gave some thought to this as to what to do if he wasn't starting. I bet his dad looked into what jucos out there would take him at midterm and accept a bunch of transfer hours and let him graduate in December.

Now, he does have to graduate from the junior college and have a 2.5 and have 12 credit hours at the juco. But given that he has completed three full semesters here and likely took some classes in the summers, I suspect he is very close to having enough hours to graduate from a junior college.

In fact, I would advise him to not even bother with playing football this fall. He has to pass 12 hours in half a term. So he'll have a lot of class time. He wouldn't gain anything playing football at a place he has no real future at beyond this year. He'll find some place to take him, so why risk getting hurt?

He probably isn't the first to do this, but he will be the highest profile. I bet the NCAA will look into changing the rules.

With him being an early enrollee, I suspect his family was pushing him to be able to graduate in three years. so he could have gotten his degree after next season and then transferred and been a free agent like Jacob Coker.

Last edited:

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014

I saw some earlier in this thread and the one that prompted my post was the post piggybacking off my comment. Didn't say it outright but implied it.
Don't assume what I implied hoss. If his thought process was too slow behind Alabama's line, he is going to struggle mightily behind a lesser one.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009

All posters need to act like they have been there before. Let the boy move on and wish him well, except against Alabama. Act like you been there before and have some class, don't look like you need to "stay classy", have class at all times. This is ALABAMA.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

ETA: just looked back over the last few pages and saw ONE poster hoping he got injured. His post is deleted. If there are more, please point them out. If there are not more, please stop posting as if we're overrun with people hoping BB gets injured.
I would like to reinforce this post. PLEASE never quote an offensive post. Find fault if you wish, but, when you quote, then a mod will have to delete the original post plus as many as say something like "this is a horrible post," and then go on to quote it. Of course, that post gets deleted also. Just think - before posting. It's possible to disagree, point out the post you disagree with. You don't have to quote it at length...

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

I would add that next to the dislike button there is an icon with an exclamation point inside the triangle which will allow you to report an inappropriate post to a moderator. So if the post violates the conditions of posting here, instead of responding to the post just report it so that moderators can delete it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I do not wish Blake Barnett well in his football career, if he transfers midseason for any reason other than a very serious one. However, I do not wish him ill will in life. That's a whole other thing, I wish people like Art Briles and Jameis Winston far more ill will than Blake, after all, all he did was quit on a team.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

All posters need to act like they have been there before. Let the boy move on and wish him well, except against Alabama. Act like you been there before and have some class, don't look like you need to "stay classy", have class at all times. This is ALABAMA.
I get that some people just want to give him a pass, and I respect the opinions of folks who feel this way. But please offer me the same courtesy if I deem this behavior to be such that I choose not to give him a pass. Try to refrain from suggesting that I lack class or "have not been there before" just because I feel differently about a single issue.

Thank you, and Roll Tide!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I do not wish Blake Barnett well in his football career, if he transfers midseason for any reason other than a very serious one. However, I do not wish him ill will in life. That's a whole other thing, I wish people like Art Briles and Jameis Winston far more ill will than Blake, after all all he did was quit on a team.
This is the key thing. There is a huge difference between saying "he screwed my team over due to selfishness and I hope nothing but the worst for him in all his future football pursuits" and "he screwed my team over and I hope he gets hurt so viciously that Joe Theisman would even cringe."

Maybe the first one is a bit petty but we're human. The second one is sociopathy.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014

I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually agreed with Galloway and Kanell last night. During halftime of the UCONN vs UH game last night they discussed BB's transfer.

Kanell talked about running from competition and the fact that he will have to compete again and this is a bad precedent. Said he quit on his team and should have waited until the end of the season.

Galloway was of the opinion that it was a bad move but that if he wasn't all in for Alabama then he needed to go now, otherwise he would be an unnecessary distraction for the team on its quest for another NC.

Both were in agreement that you shouldn't quit on your team, especially if you're at Alabama of all places.

I can see both arguments having validity. Either way, I don't think he made the best decision. If he couldn't handle the pressure of competing against a TF on a loaded team that has all the weapons a QB could ask for, I don't think he will be able to handle carrying a team on his back, with less weapons, a weaker OL and having to prove he didn't make a mistake by leaving the best team in the country. JMHO.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

As someone on here mentioned in an earlier post; historically college football is littered with hyped transfers who were never heard from again. Whether you condemn his actions or give him a pass; I would venture he will have serious issues wherever he lands.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

...If he couldn't handle the pressure of competing against a TF on a loaded team that has all the weapons a QB could ask for, I don't think he will be able to handle carrying a team on his back, with less weapons, a weaker OL and having to prove he didn't make a mistake by leaving the best team in the country. JMHO.
Again, to get at an early indicator of Barnett's pout-out/cop-out, hark back to Saban's (and Kiffin's) springtime pursuit of Dakota Prukop, the graduate transfer from Montana State who's now QB for the Zer-O-gon Ducks. Had Barnett's college development from HS 5-star been anything substantial, 'Bama wouldn't have gone so hard after Prukop - and certainly not as a backup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.