News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

I will say this. I do not like the way he and his parents have handled the situation and to me, they put themselves first ahead of the team for the wrong reasons and it's gonna come back and haunt them in the future. IT is what it is. We got a game tomorrow and I hope we go all the way this year to send a message to the future recuits: " We will win with you or without you" The same line that Saban said to Julius Jones.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Let's look a few years down the road and assume that Blake is a tweener NFL QB prospect. This will hurt him. No doubt that if he is a first rounder this will be overlooked, but not if he is a later round guy. Why? Because QBs taken in later rounds have to fight and work and compete to have a chance of making a roster or developing into a starter. I am sure that NFL teams will seriously question this move at that time. So, this may not hurt him at the college level, but it could really damage his NFL prospects.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually agreed with Galloway and Kanell last night. During halftime of the UCONN vs UH game last night they discussed BB's transfer.

Kanell talked about running from competition and the fact that he will have to compete again and this is a bad precedent. Said he quit on his team and should have waited until the end of the season.

Galloway was of the opinion that it was a bad move but that if he wasn't all in for Alabama then he needed to go now, otherwise he would be an unnecessary distraction for the team on its quest for another NC.

Both were in agreement that you shouldn't quit on your team, especially if you're at Alabama of all places.

I can see both arguments having validity. Either way, I don't think he made the best decision. If he couldn't handle the pressure of competing against a TF on a loaded team that has all the weapons a QB could ask for, I don't think he will be able to handle carrying a team on his back, with less weapons, a weaker OL and having to prove he didn't make a mistake by leaving the best team in the country. JMHO.

I actually agree with both Galloway and Kannell. It made me sick to my stomach.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

At first, I thought "what a jerk" for quitting mid season instead of waiting until the end, but after reading about this crazy rule, I gotta hate the game, not the player.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

At first, I thought "what a jerk" for quitting mid season instead of waiting until the end, but after reading about this crazy rule, I gotta hate the game, not the player.
Not saying that you are wrong about the rule, but it doesn't change anything for me. There are acceptable reasons to walk away from a team in the middle of a season. Self-interest isn't one of them, IMO.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama

I said in both of my previous controversial posts that I didn't think he should have transferred mid-season, and I still stand by that opinion. To my recollection, I've never quit anything in the middle (partially because my dad would have kicked my tail). However, IF IN FACT, he can get on a roster next year like he seems to believe, I can at least understand his thought process.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO

Galloway was of the opinion that it was a bad move but that if he wasn't all in for Alabama then he needed to go now, otherwise he would be an unnecessary distraction for the team on its quest for another NC.
I can't shake the feeling that the conversation between BB and CNS ended something like this, and then the parent blew it all up during what was supposed to be "sleep on it" time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I said in both of my previous controversial posts that I didn't think he should have transferred mid-season, and I still stand by that opinion. To my recollection, I've never quit anything in the middle (partially because my dad would have kicked my tail). However, IF IN FACT, he can get on a roster next year like he seems to believe, I can at least understand his thought process.
I think that we now have enough information to put together his rationale. But understanding his reasoning and state of mind does not translate into accepting the decisions and subsequent actions that he took. We are all tempted in this life. Our character is defined by how we manage those temptations.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

What's the odd that NCAA will try and close the loophole after December?
I hope they do. Otherwise, you will have more making students rash decisions after a month into the season just because things aren't going their way which is how I view BB's actions so far.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama

I think that we now have enough information to put together his rationale. But understanding his reasoning and state of mind does not translate into accepting the decisions and subsequent actions that he took. We are all tempted in this life. Our character is defined by how we manage those temptations.
I agree. I don't think he should have left. And "temptation" is a wonderful way to describe it.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL

As someone on here mentioned in an earlier post; historically college football is littered with hyped transfers who were never heard from again. Whether you condemn his actions or give him a pass; I would venture he will have serious issues wherever he lands.
Paging Mitch Mustain. And his mom.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

First I've chimed in and I certainly have not read all the pages.

I've been a big fan of BB since the day he committed. I thought he might be our next "Joe" or "Ken" or alot like "AJ" but that is not happening.

I still believe he's an incredible talent. That said, I've got my doubts that his "head" can match his "physical ability." Anytime a parent starts fighting your battles for you and tries to intervene at the first sight of problems I don't like the kids chances of succeeding in any venture.

There is value in learning to be patient and not always getting your way the first time.

I wish him well no matter what, but I think he's embarrassed himself by his actions/attitude and that kinda thing becomes part of your "rep" and it's hard to live down.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

What's the odds that NCAA will try and close the loophole after December?
Look on the bright side, if it turns from loophole to NCAA legality, Saban will soon include waiver wire transactions and "street" free agents in his world domination repertoire.

Paging Mitch Mustain. ...
Ol' Mitch would probably proffer advice that Barnett get off the beaten transfer path and take up designated hitting or star in Brylcreem commercials...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

https://twitter.com/LanceBarnett/likes

I know that "liking/favouriting" a tweet is not an endorsement but having a look at the tweets Barnett's father has liked makes for very interesting reading. Gives you an insight into the Barnett view of the whole situation..

hmmmm.....
how about just tell us for those of us that do not bother with twitter

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

how about just tell us for those of us that do not bother with twitter
He's liked a bunch of comments / articles calling Saban a hypocrite since he 'quit' the Dolphins. As if the situation is the same.

The Barnett's obviously have no clue what being on a team is about. After seeing these likes by his father, I'm thrilled BB is no longer at Alabama - he's the spoiled, prima-donna type I find repugnant.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Saban did quit the Miami Dolphins job.

After the season.

With the full blessing of Wayne Huizenga.

And never spoke with the Alabama leadership until after the last game had been played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.