News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

If things were different and Barnett would have been the starter we'd all like to think Jalen would have handled it and stayed. But who knows? The way kids are these days, especially highly touted kids it's real possible that Jalen would have left also. Losing one of these kids to a transfer was my biggest concern which I expressed in the 2016 QB thread. Almost impossible to keep two talented young QB's happy.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

You are correct in that this has been in the works for weeks. This didn't arrive overnight. The family ultimatum came down quite a while ago...
When are kids (and parents) going to learn that ultimatums don't mean anything to Coach Saban?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

When are kids (and parents) going to learn that ultimatums don't mean anything to Coach Saban?
If anything, it could have undermined him. Saban goes in knowing that this kid and his family are not about Alabama? Probably raised the bar for him. I mean, does Saban really want to deal with that for a few more years if he doesn't have to? Sure, if Blake is clearly the best you manage it, but if it is close...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Blake Barnett Transferring

You are correct in that this has been in the works for weeks. This didn't arrive overnight. The family ultimatum came down quite a while ago...
Could be one reason of many for him not getting the job. If he was already giving up even before Hurts really turned it up a notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I just saw Coach Saban in an interview on TV saying how things have changed culturally. He said if he had quit on a team that his father would probably have thrown him out of the house. Me thinks he was taking a shot at B. Barnett's father...

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

I didn't know there was a family ultimatum. I am surprised CNS didn't sit him on the pine at that moment. Were I his coach he would be picking splinters out of his butt cheeks for months after he left.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Even in the face of the family's ultimatum, it appears Coach still gave BB every opportunity to win the job. I suspect CNS was tempted to tell him to leave before the season began so the other QB's could have all the reps that Barnett, in essence, stole from them. For me, that shows yet another facet of BB's selfishness. If he went into the season with an exit/contingency plan in place, I suspect he already knew he wasn't going to be the guy.

So, the family attempts to pressure Saban, they have an exit plan in place before the season even begins, we still spend countless hours instructing/working with the kid, give him hundreds of reps which would have gone to the other QB's, and as thanks he bails on the program after game 4. Some have defended this as being a 'business' decision. Well, I've been searching for a couple days now and I still can't find anything more than it being a selfish decision. There's an old adage that quite often gets proven to have merit: no good deed shall go unpunished. Coach Saban attempted to do the Barnett family a good deed...

It has been a heck of a week between this and the Tim Williams thread. I'm SO glad we finally play some football tomorrow.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Wouldn't it be something if NCAA closes the loophole over the off season & he ends up sitting the whole year anyway?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

He's gone...we're moving on. Not the first and will not be the last. What is troubling is the larger cultural context...several teammates tweeted support in that "you have to do what's best for you." That's the world we live in, unfortunately. Not what's best for my community -- i.e., family, church, school, company, etc.; do what's best for me...look out for numero uno.

I know...don't preach. :) But as I retire in a month I see this more and more -- and the reality is that it doesn't work. The joy in life is in working for a communal goal (team) -- much more than any individual awards. We are only here for a little while -- and we will only be remembered for how we worked to help the communities of which we are apart live better and be better.

Coaches try to get very talented guys to sacrifice their personal goals for those of the team. That is really, really hard to do.

RTR -- now and forever!

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

He's gone...we're moving on. Not the first and will not be the last. What is troubling is the larger cultural context...several teammates tweeted support in that "you have to do what's best for you." That's the world we live in, unfortunately. Not what's best for my community -- i.e., family, church, school, company, etc.; do what's best for me...look out for numero uno.

I know...don't preach. :) But as I retire in a month I see this more and more -- and the reality is that it doesn't work. The joy in life is in working for a communal goal (team) -- much more than any individual awards. We are only here for a little while -- and we will only be remembered for how we worked to help the communities of which we are apart live better and be better.

Coaches try to get very talented guys to sacrifice their personal goals for those of the team. That is really, really hard to do.

RTR -- now and forever!
Amen

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

RTR -- now and forever!
very true

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

RTR -- now and forever!
its odd...society's role lately is to teach "we" toward a common goal. But those goals seldom require building anything, it's about tearing things down. The millenials truly believe that. I have the faith that the next group, Generation Z kids will have more in common with the "Greatest Generation" because they are going to face life with limited opportunities...perhaps that will bring back pride, teamwork, humbleness, and dedication.

We shall see

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL

Even in the face of the family's ultimatum, it appears Coach still gave BB every opportunity to win the job. I suspect CNS was tempted to tell him to leave before the season began so the other QB's could have all the reps that Barnett, in essence, stole from them. For me, that shows yet another facet of BB's selfishness. If he went into the season with an exit/contingency plan in place, I suspect he already knew he wasn't going to be the guy.

So, the family attempts to pressure Saban, they have an exit plan in place before the season even begins, we still spend countless hours instructing/working with the kid, give him hundreds of reps which would have gone to the other QB's, and as thanks he bails on the program after game 4. Some have defended this as being a 'business' decision. Well, I've been searching for a couple days now and I still can't find anything more than it being a selfish decision. There's an old adage that quite often gets proven to have merit: no good deed shall go unpunished. Coach Saban attempted to do the Barnett family a good deed...

It has been a heck of a week between this and the Tim Williams thread. I'm SO glad we finally play some football tomorrow.
Your point in the middle paragraph is so good I would like to share it outside this board and get honest reaction. How are all these commentators who actually played the game of football missing this? They all said our biggest question mark was at QB, and this guy and his fam pulled a clear-eyed con by planning an exit if he didn't get his way, stealing reps as he went. Hard to imagine someone who has ever been on a team just shrugging that off as "business."

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

RTR -- now and forever!
I am not so sure the players really feel this way. I appreciate them taking the high road with their tweets. It would have made a bad situation worse had our players come out and criticized him publicly. I think in a way it would have had a negative effect on recruiting and generally been bad form. While we are really disappointed has Barnett has handled this from a timing standpoint, I think we should be equally proud of the class with which the remaining players have handled the situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The dumbest thing of all of this is that even as a "business decision" it was a poor one. We've seen the speculation from why he'd do it, some loophole, but even if he can manage that, by all appearances he would miss the first four games. That is no minor thing, there's just no major team in college football that would hold the starting job for an inexperienced sophomore that long. So, where does that put him?

Either he goes to a top notch program, and ironically isn't in much of a different situation than if he stayed at Alabama, or he goes to some backwater program that can't develop him as well as a QB, but hey at least he'll play! However, even then no program can put the season on hold for four games, so his starting next year, no matter what, seems like a bit of a long shot.

So, and I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating... how is it a good move for his "career" to leave Alabama, to abandon the development and playing time they are providing, to then sit out games next year to and all this just so may be, this time next year he's back in the running for a starting job someplace? Does anyone think his enrolling at JUCO is going to further his development as a QB?

It seems to me the smartest business decision all along was to continue working with Kiffin, continue getting snaps like he was at Alabama, and if you see no clear path to starting, then transfer as a graduate with two years of eligibility. He's doing a lot to derail his development in the hopes of starting a few games next year. This doesn't sound at all like he's acting for his benefit, and instead, as has been alluded to he's basically acting on a threat of extortion. Start me, or I quit. Ok, so he quit, that's not going to help him...

I am not so sure the players really feel this way.
I saw one former player tweet something about loyalty over royalty. I don't know for sure what he was talking about, but he was on the team with Blake Barnett so...

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

The players wishing Blake well knew him personally and are his friends. They may not like it but their tweets are just being polite.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

I tried googling it, but couldn't find anything about the ultimatum by his dad.

Didn't read the entire thread, but can someone tell me what his dad said? I'm assuming it was something to the effect of "my son starts or he's transferring". Is there an article about it somewhere, or how did everyone find out what he said?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012

Let all those who do not buy into The Process depart in peace, and let the team move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.