News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

The dumbest thing of all of this is that even as a "business decision" it was a poor one. We've seen the speculation from why he'd do it, some loophole, but even if he can manage that, by all appearances he would miss the first four games. That is no minor thing, there's just no major team in college football that would hold the starting job for an inexperienced sophomore that long. So, where does that put him?

Either he goes to a top notch program, and ironically isn't in much of a different situation than if he stayed at Alabama, or he goes to some backwater program that can't develop him as well as a QB, but hey at least he'll play! However, even then no program can put the season on hold for four games, so his starting next year, no matter what, seems like a bit of a long shot.

So, and I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating... how is it a good move for his "career" to leave Alabama, to abandon the development and playing time they are providing, to then sit out games next year to and all this just so may be, this time next year he's back in the running for a starting job someplace? Does anyone think his enrolling at JUCO is going to further his development as a QB?

It seems to me the smartest business decision all along was to continue working with Kiffin, continue getting snaps like he was at Alabama, and if you see no clear path to starting, then transfer as a graduate with two years of eligibility. He's doing a lot to derail his development in the hopes of starting a few games next year. This doesn't sound at all like he's acting for his benefit, and instead, as has been alluded to he's basically acting on a threat of extortion. Start me, or I quit. Ok, so he quit, that's not going to help him...

I saw one former player tweet something about loyalty over royalty. I don't know for sure what he was talking about, but he was on the team with Blake Barnett so...
I agree with you but maybe the problem here is that his father did not think he needed any further development. If that is being drilled into his head at home and he believes it, it makes it very hard to be receptive to instruction. If. you don't get better after working with Kiffin for over 2 years when are you going to improve?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I tried googling it, but couldn't find anything about the ultimatum by his dad.

Didn't read the entire thread, but can someone tell me what his dad said? I'm assuming it was something to the effect of "my son starts or he's transferring". Is there an article about it somewhere, or how did everyone find out what he said?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Earle made us aware of it in this thread, so it isn't public and it probably will never become public.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

I thought I'd put this out there before this thread dies. Simply put, BB isn't the first qb to transfer out because he wasn't good enough to earn the starting slot, and I'm sure he won't be the last.
He moved on, and so shall the Tide.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Earle made us aware of it in this thread, so it isn't public and it probably will never become public.
No, I wouldn't expect to see it published, but it's been widely known among people who know staff members. The writers knew about it too, but they're not going to write about it because attribution would cut off their access forever. Also, this is not the first episode of this happening. It's happened both with QBs who have stayed and QBs who have eventually started. I don't think any threat of transfer has made one whit of difference with Saban. Going beyond what I know and speculating a bit, I believe that Blake got the start over Hurts so that the interested parties could see the contrast. The problem is that people who have deeply prejudged a situation and have a personal stake see what they want to see, rather than what people who are objective see...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Could this attitude by Barnette be at least partially responsible for how the team responded better with Jalen at the helm? No to open up a can of worms on the issue again, but if widely known among the team this would affect attitude, IMHO, and I could actually understand it as well. If so, it's own Blake.

At this point knowing what I believe I know, I'm glad he's gone and think it's best for the team that he is.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I thought I'd put this out there before this thread dies. Simply put, BB isn't the first qb to transfer out because he wasn't good enough to earn the starting slot, and I'm sure he won't be the last.
He moved on, and so shall the Tide.
BB started against USC and was pulled after 3 plays. Why did the coaches name him the starter? They already knew Jalen was the guy, but why start BB? To keep him? Due to loophole it backfired imo. BB was never the starter. What other first time starter was held to that standard? Bungled. First time to question staff. Good news is we could win with any 4 of them Imo

Last edited:

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

BB started against USC and was pulled after 3 plays. Why did the coaches name him the starter? They already knew Jalen was the guy, but why start BB? To keep him? Due to loophole it backfired imo. BB was never the starter. What other first time starter was held to that standard? Bungled. First time to question staff. Good news is we could win with any 4 of them Imo
Man, you are hard headed.

edit*on this subject.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think they put him out there long enough to see what they needed to see. They still have my vote of confidence, not that they need mine - or yours either...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

can you stop please?

so are you blake or his dad?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

So what?! There is no justification - even if anything you say was true - to quit on your team. I'm glad the quitter is gone at this point. Hate it happened - wished it didn't - but glad it's done now because the team can move on without a quitter.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Blake Barnett Transferring

Just to add my important 2c to the discussion.

Barnett is good enough that I expected him to transfer at the end of the season. No reason for a QB with his skill set to ride the bench for the rest of his career behind a younger player. But transferring now is/was a dumb decision and is quitting on the team. And it wasn't like he wasn't getting playing time.

However, I am not ready to call the kid a quitter and hate on him the rest of his life. From the sounds of things his dad was very involved in this move. We like to play the "18-19yr old kids make stupid mistakes sometimes" card when a player gets caught in a car with a bag of weed, or is out late on the Strip or at a party. Personally I don't think an 18-19yr old kid listening to his dad over his coaches and common sense is necessarily the worst bad judgement call as far as these things go.

Point being is, yes he quit, yes he left his team in the lurch, yes he most likely hurt his own development and future starting opportunities. But I don't think he is a lifetime quitter or has poor character or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I have no problem with him transferring. I have a problem with him not waiting until the end of the season to do it. If he would have waited til end of the season he would have only effected himself. Buy by him doing this in September effects more than just him. It effects the entire team. Tom Luginbil made a great point last night when this topic came up during the broadcast. He said "Does anyone really think a team is going to start the first four five games of season with one quarterback then yank the kid and insert Blake Barnett? It doesn't work that way guys." He went onto say Barnett maybe in for a big surprise next season. Implying that he maybe on the bench at whatever school he transferred to as he was at Alabama. My guess is things aren't going to playout exactly like Blake has in mind. Life never works that way.

But, I do not wish any ill will on the young man. It's a game that A LOT of adults make billions of dollars on the backs of college kids. So stepping back and taking everything into perspective. This really isn't a big deal to anyone.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I don't think there is anything more that can be said on this topic. Everyone has stated their opinion, vented, and he is no longer on the team. Can this thread just be closed now?

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

I don't think there is anything more that can be said on this topic. Everyone has stated their opinion, vented, and he is no longer on the team. Can this thread just be closed now?
Agreed. I'm not normally a fan of the padlock going on a thread, but it seems like the right thing here. At least until some info comes out about where/when he lands somewhere.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Barnett is no longer on the team. Its a moot point to even talk about him.

I'm happy with Jalen. Hes a fine kid and a special player.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

i"m confident The team isn't thinking about Barnett at all it's old news. We should move forward from this. He's no longer on the team and I wish him the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.