Boys and Girls, 2021 Season is Coming Fast: What are your Major Questions?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I too wonder about Slade's impact. He's a veteran now. I think he could be pivotal early on especially while the young receivers adjust to this level. If he gets over the occasional drop, I think he could be a 3rd down reception type guy.

I don't recall him being hurt last year, but maybe I just forgot.
He was injured agains Kentucky with twisted ankle. He never was 100 percent after that. Metchie was hurt for a while as well. If they both are healed up, then I expect big things from them. Little suprised we didn't hear much about summer workouts.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Leadership! Do we have a Jonaton Allen who would jerk a knot in your butt if you git complacent or stepped out of line, we better because we will be young in lot of positions
Interesting you mentioned Jonathan Allen. I don't think we'll ever see anyone like him again for long long time. Last year you could tell leadership was missing from LB, and I was expecting Moses to step in, but obviously, lot happened with him. This year, I think we'll be fine, but I think We'll see people all over defense holding each other accountability. We don't have any bad seeds on the field right now. Defense got better as season went on and Florida game was unusual. I think We need "dogs" on offense this fall. Someone who is going to go get it for offense. I think we have bunch of unknown questions that won't be answered until November.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I also have a bit of a nagging concern about Metchie’s and Bolden’s hands.

It may just be that we’ve been hopelessly spoiled by an historic run of WRs. But it does seem that both have missed catches that others would likely have made.

Also, Bolden’s put it on the ground a couple of times going for extra yardage after making the catch.

Yeah, we’re spoiled.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I wonder when/if Will Reichard will ever miss a FG???

It was a nice change of pace last year having a dependable (perfect) kicker!!!

Reactions: T Bone

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

It may just be that we’ve been hopelessly spoiled by an historic run of WRs. But it does seem that both have missed catches that others would likely have made.

Also, Bolden’s put it on the ground a couple of times going for extra yardage after making the catch.

Yeah, we’re spoiled.
I think Metchie is very good but just a step below the guys we've had recently so like you said, we're spoiled.

Bolden I'm much less sure of and wouldn't be entirely surprised if his snaps/targets are slowly reduced as the season goes on. Thankfully we have Billingsley and Latu. One or both of those guys should be able to take the middle of the field looks that would normally go to Bolden.

Very curious to see who loses snaps to Hall as well. Maybe Baker or Holden although Holden made some nice grabs on A day.

Reactions: tideindc

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If I counted correctly, we are only about 59 days from kick-off against Miami and probably only 25 days or so to the beginning of fall camp in early August.

What are the major questions you believe the 2021 team has to answer???

I'll start with this one: How hungry will this team be coming off last year's perfect, dominant NC season???

And an obvious one: How quickly will CBOB and BY be able to get comfortable with each other and how long will it take BY to become a real threat to opposing defenses???

What else you got???
Who will be Alabama's #2 QB. Will PT keep the job, or will he lose it?
Who catches the first TD pass?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
First and foremost: Leadership. It has to come from somewhere, it needs to be effective and plentiful.

Secondly: Offensive line play. These guys have to gel and give the quarterback at least a little bit of assurance while he’s back there.

Third: running back play. Someone has to step up to the alpha role. I am torn between having special backs for individual situations, or having a do it all kind of guy. Whichever situation comes about, someone must be the go to guy and excel back there to take pressure off the quarterback.

Fourth: quarterback. This could easily be number 1a. , but I’m trying to have confidence in BY. Whoever is back there needs to avoid the mid season slump and allow the coaches to help him improve game to game.

Fifth: special teams. Special teams aren’t really special until they screw up. We have mostly new guys at every position, and inconsistency at the punter position. Let’s hope they pull together.

Disruption at the defensive line level.Bigger roles for new players this year, can they step up the consistency and production?

My questions are based on the backdrop of a National Championship season. I don’t expect that kind of production, but what I do expect is a blossoming of execution and output through the season, brought on by maturation of players and execution of coaches.

I didn’t even mention wide receivers lol.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
First and foremost: Leadership. It has to come from somewhere, it needs to be effective and plentiful.
Agree completely.

Secondly: Offensive line play. These guys have to gel and give the quarterback at least a little bit of assurance while he’s back there.
Again agree.

Third: running back play. Someone has to step up to the alpha role. I am torn between having special backs for individual situations, or having a do it all kind of guy. Whichever situation comes about, someone must be the go to guy and excel back there to take pressure off the quarterback.
Agree. Will add that IMO this group has the weakest "lead dog" leading into the season since the first year of Saban's tenure with Terry Grant.

Fourth: quarterback. This could easily be number 1a. , but I’m trying to have confidence in BY. Whoever is back there needs to avoid the mid season slump and allow the coaches to help him improve game to game.
IMO, Young is as close to a lock to be at least very good as a newcomer can be, i.e., he is the least of Bama's worries. There is no one on the roster who is even close to him at this point.

Fifth: special teams. Special teams aren’t really special until they screw up. We have mostly new guys at every position, and inconsistency at the punter position. Let’s hope they pull together.
Reichard is great and the punter cannot be worse. IMO, the STs are almost a lock to better than last year, even if WR misses a kick or two.

Disruption at the defensive line level. Bigger roles for new players this year, can they step up the consistency and production?
Again - agree, though Tim Smith seems like the prime candidate, almost "can't miss". Hoping Ray is injury-free this year for the team's and his sake. The middle is solid but as you say, needs a disrupter or two. The edge can be fabulous - starters and backups.

My questions are based on the backdrop of a National Championship season. I don’t expect that kind of production, but what I do expect is a blossoming of execution and output through the season, brought on by maturation of players and execution of coaches.

Agree, in fact, I would put them fourth in terms of concern. IMO, the QB is far more certain than the WRs. Hope Bolden is not the answer at the slot. IMO, he is OK to be in the significant rotation but not as a starter. (He has been very successful as a specialty QB.) Along with Metchie, Hall, Earle, Holden, Jones-Bell, OSU xfer WIlliams and Brooks and of course Billingsly and Latu, there is a lot of talent, but they won't be what has been around the last 5 years; but that is not necessary. (Sarkisian profited more than many realize by the OL and QB/WR/RB talent he had at Alabama. I prefer SS by far over LK, who is more hot-cold and does not use the running game like Sark, but SS is not what he appeared at Bama. Who could be? He had transcendent talent in Saban's and Alabama's program.)

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Agree completely.

Again agree.

Agree. Will add that IMO this group has the weakest "lead dog" leading into the season since the first year of Saban's tenure with Terry Grant.

IMO, Young is as close to a lock to be at least very good as a newcomer can be, i.e., he is the least of Bama's worries. There is no one on the roster who is even close to him at this point.

Reichard is great and the punter cannot be worse. IMO, the STs are almost a lock to better than last year, even if WR misses a kick or two.

Disruption at the defensive line level. Bigger roles for new players this year, can they step up the consistency and production?
Again - agree, though Tim Smith seems like the prime candidate, almost "can't miss". Hoping Ray is injury-free this year for the team's and his sake. The middle is solid but as you say, needs a disrupter or two. The edge can be fabulous - starters and backups.

Agree, in fact, I would put them fourth in terms of concern. IMO, the QB is far more certain than the WRs. Hope Bolden is not the answer at the slot. IMO, he is OK to be in the significant rotation but not as a starter. (He has been very successful as a specialty QB.) Along with Metchie, Hall, Earle, Holden, Jones-Bell, OSU xfer WIlliams and Brooks and of course Billingsly and Latu, there is a lot of talent, but they won't be what has been around the last 5 years; but that is not necessary. (Sarkisian profited more than many realize by the OL and QB/WR/RB talent he had at Alabama. I prefer SS by far over LK, who is more hot-cold and does not use the running game like Sark, but SS is not what he appeared at Bama. Who could be? He had transcendent talent in Saban's and Alabama's program.)
We got someone who is supposed to be a great punter in the transfer portal so we will see.

Reactions: BamaInBham

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

Yeah, we’re spoiled.
People say this but a lot of times the defensive player just punched the ball out of boldens Hands and were in the perfect position to do it. I feel like fans get overzealous when it comes to the whole “bolden puts on the ground all the time” thing.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
"Perine has a big leg, but is flip-a-coin inconsistent on both height and distance. And he’s been known to mis-handle perfect snaps. He’s just too unreliable to be counted on in the clutch. But we have two new punters….one from Troy and one from Australia. Will either work out?"

I know the Barn had two brothers from Oz punting for them and they were good. I have no information on how good this Oz ex-pat will be, but I suspect he will be good, if not better than good.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
"Perine has a big leg, but is flip-a-coin inconsistent on both height and distance. And he’s been known to mis-handle perfect snaps. He’s just too unreliable to be counted on in the clutch. But we have two new punters….one from Troy and one from Australia. Will either work out?"

I know the Barn had two brothers from Oz punting for them and they were good. I have no information on how good this Oz ex-pat will be, but I suspect he will be good, if not better than good.
I agree 100 percent. Perine is very confident person, and has little of a huge ego...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
People say this but a lot of times the defensive player just punched the ball out of boldens Hands and were in the perfect position to do it. I feel like fans get overzealous when it comes to the whole “bolden puts on the ground all the time” thing.
I think you nailed it. I've been Saying Slade was injured for a while.

Look at his Game Log from last season:
Slade Bolden Game by Game Stats and Performance | ESPN and if you break it down to specific downs and situation, He is a huge factor on 1st and 2nd downs. I think he will be fine.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.