Brag On Your Kid(s)

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I did like 50 interviews in undergrad. At least half of those were just opportunities to improve my interviewing skills. so you’re spot on there. I did self postmortems after every single one to figure out where I could improve.
I will have to let him know about this. We try to tell him that he is not alone. He had a great interview the other day and he made to the 4th round of interviews. This is only for an internship so I don't know how much more difficult job interviews will be for him with some companies.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I will have to let him know about this. We try to tell him that he is not alone. He had a great interview the other day and he made to the 4th round of interviews. This is only for an internship so I don't know how much more difficult job interviews will be for him with some companies.
4 rounds of interviews for an internship seems like a huge waste of time and resources for the hiring company. I hope he lands the gig.

Reactions: Con

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
4 rounds of interviews for an internship seems like a huge waste of time and resources for the hiring company. I hope he lands the gig.
That is what we think, but maybe that is just how they do things. The guy last week was their tech guy instead of the HR ladies boss so he asked my son all of the computer stuff and my son could answer everything and was honest about not knowing some sort of program but the man liked what he heard. It was about an hour long video interview. We hope the next one is the final one. My son doesn't know who else he could possibly interview with.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Many of the tech and accounting and some other firms do the heavy recruiting for interns that they then offer full time positions to assuming all goes well. They want the smartest & most talented and if they wait they will miss out. My nephew is at one of the mega techs. Did an internship summer before his sr year. I think he interviewed for the internship the fall of jr year and was offered in spring. Some were online chats, phone, virtual coding tests, in person / on site in Seattle. It was a process.

When he got back home in August after 3 mo internship, they made him an incredible full-time position offer ... to start 12 months later!

• Thank You

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Many of the tech and accounting and some other firms do the heavy recruiting for interns that they then offer full time positions to assuming all goes well. They want the smartest & most talented and if they wait they will miss out. My nephew is at one of the mega techs. Did an internship summer before his sr year. I think he interviewed for the internship the fall of jr year and was offered in spring. Some were online chats, phone, virtual coding tests, in person / on site in Seattle. It was a process.

When he got back home in August after 3 mo internship, they made him an incredible full-time position offer ... to start 12 months later!
Now this sounds exciting. Thank you for the good information.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Yeah, companies use their intern programs for different purposes. The company that employees me has two groups of college interns - those who are seen as having potential in sales, and support. While any of the college interns could land an offer after their internship, it is far, far more likely that the sales intern will land one. The support teams tend to use their interns for scut work and never really think of them as future stars.

A waste, if you ask me.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
A typical progression is that there are “fit”, “talent”, and “final” interviews - each of which could happen over multiple days / locations and/or with multiple people.

Fit = interview with people with whom interviewee would be working a similar role. The usual question they’re answering is would the interviewee fit into our “culture.” Purpose is to filter out obvious mismatches. Not really much on what you now or can do, although they do get into that a bit. Leadership potential assessed at basic level.

talent = just that. Does the interviewee possess the talents we need or is s/he capable of learning what we need them to know.

final = interviews with folks who might manage them, work with them, or be their big boss.

also are HR interviews which could be at either end or both ends of the process to answer any questions or note an obvious misfit. Depending on firm, fit and talent phases might be flipped.

this info is confirmed based on feedback from my Senior students who typically are interviewing for systems/data/business analyst roles.

Last edited:
  • Thank You

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
A typical progression is that there are “fit”, “talent”, and “final” interviews - each of which could happen over multiple days / locations and/or with multiple people.

Fit = interview with people with whom interviewee would be working a similar role. The usual question they’re answering is would the interviewee fit into our “culture.” Purpose is to filter out obvious mismatches. Not really much on what you now or can do, although they do get into that a bit.

talent = just that. Does the talents we need or is s/he capable of learning what we need them to know.

final = interviews with folks who might manage them, work with them, or be their big boss.

also are HR interviews which could be at either end or both ends of the process to answer any questions or note an obvious misfit. Depending on firm, fit and talent phases might be flipped.

this info is based on feedback from my Senior students who typically are interviewing for systems/data/business analyst roles.
This sounds like exactly what my son has gone through.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This is my choir director, my daughter, and me this morning in church filling in the spot where our choir usually sings. I'm happy with my daughter's progress on the violin. It's certainly not perfect, but this is the first time she has backed up a singer.
Hey Joe.....that was very nice! Thanks for sharing and tell your little girl I thought she did very well. That was also a nice piece of music to perform. I really enjoyed it.

Alright guys, this evening is the big interview. He is interviewing with a partner of the company at 6:00 so we are crossing our fingers that he does well. It is another video interview so he should be used to it by now.
Good luck to your son, Con! Exciting times, for sure! Please keep us posted. ;)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
He got the internship. My son is pumped. He is starting spring break and now has an internship that is in Birmingham so he won't have to move away for the summer. The man he interviewed with was from Portugal and offered my son the internship at the end of the interview.
OK that was fast....lol! Congrats to your son! (y)

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and Go Bama

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Curious about the award. Does it have anything to do with anti-bullying?
Maybe not directly, but just rewatched the video I took: “[He] treats everyone fairly, takes turns, waits patiently, includes everyone and takes responsibility in his words and actions. He is a role model in his classroom and shows his peers how to be respectful, responsible, honest, on task and fair…”

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and Con

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Maybe not directly, but just rewatched the video I took: “[He] treats everyone fairly, takes turns, waits patiently, includes everyone and takes responsibility in his words and actions. He is a role model in his classroom and shows his peers how to be respectful, responsible, honest, on task and fair…”
You are raising him right.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
You are raising him right.
What Con said @Tide in Athens - you & your better half must be beaming with pride!

Thanks for sharing - made my day! (y)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.