Brainstorming CNO's MO (How does he adjust going forward?)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Our inbounds play under the basket needs some massaging too!
One thing Bruce has spoiled us on there. His inbounding sets under the rim are a things of beauty.

I also didn't understand allowing JQ to continue to play hero ball unsuccessfully against the rim protectors. As mentioned, a TO and some adjustment from that would have been welcomed!

To be fair, I don't know what the adjustments might have been. Miller was obviously not an option to get the rim with his injury. His 3 point shooting became abysmal. Nobody else was hitting them either. Honestly JQ was probably our best option but should have been jacking 3s instead of going to the rim and getting it sent into the stands over and over!
It was a quandary. I don't blame him tactically. Just one of those nights where the open looks weren't falling.

This is why it's so hard to win a ring in college basketball. In a 7 game series Bama would have probably won in 5. Single elimination is part of what makes March Madness fun, but it also requires teams to be incredibly consistent for 6 straight games to win the title.

Reactions: BAMAVILLE

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Looking at Shaver on 247, it looks like we did offer him.
Yeah we offered one. I think he could fit in well as the Gurley type guy off the bench but one thing that might hurt is him having 4 years of eligibility left. I think they may look more into a shorter option that has more experience because of scholarship numbers.

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
Bama has to have a plan B. I hate that this happened at the Sweet 16, but it was the worst game of the season. The three ball just wasn't working and we kept jacking it up. Still, we had a chance to win it. So, I'm glad defense travelled. Still, we have got to do something about the offensive end when shots aren't falling. I have been saying that all season. Came back to bite us big time at the worst possible moment. I love what I see still going forward.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Three straight tournaments we are knocked out by a much higher seed.

This is now a trend that he will have to overcome. But in this tournament, being a high seed is almost an advantage psychologically. Especially when the refs are so completely horrible, allowing rugby on hardwood and then calling phantom fouls at the end of the games.

I think if any adjustments are needed, it's on the mental side. How he prepares his guys to deal with the adversity of playing a bunch of rugby brutes and having the refs be so blatantly inept. If you can't change your circumstance, you have to learn to live within it.

We are always going to be a younger type of team, with the level of recruiting we do. We can't build a roster of veterans like the mid-majors can. Using that style of program building will get you run out of the SEC. So, we will always be taking a younger team into the tournament, and they will always run up on a veteran team that thrives in the slop. Gotta learn how to embrace the slop.

Reactions: seebell

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Three straight tournaments we are knocked out by a much higher seed.

This is now a trend that he will have to overcome. But in this tournament, being a high seed is almost an advantage psychologically. Especially when the refs are so completely horrible, allowing rugby on hardwood and then calling phantom fouls at the end of the games.

I think if any adjustments are needed, it's on the mental side. How he prepares his guys to deal with the adversity of playing a bunch of rugby brutes and having the refs be so blatantly inept. If you can't change your circumstance, you have to learn to live within it.

We are always going to be a younger type of team, with the level of recruiting we do. We can't build a roster of veterans like the mid-majors can. Using that style of program building will get you run out of the SEC. So, we will always be taking a younger team into the tournament, and they will always run up on a veteran team that thrives in the slop. Gotta learn how to embrace the slop.
In 2 of those that same team got to the Final Four as well, so not like those teams were not good and got destroyed by other teams. 2 of those teams were one of the better teams in the country on defense and all 3 were teams that like to control the pace and keep the game low scoring. Teams that run like us have trouble with teams that slow it down it doesn’t really matter who you are if you can’t hit few shots and get them playing at your pace. The good thing with those type of teams is if you can get up on them and force them to speed up they are playing into your hand. One or two plays in that second half could have completely flipped it to our pace especially when we went on that run. Unfortunately they hit a three and then we lost concentration a few possessions and let them back into it. Then they made a few shots which makes it hard to run if you have to take ball out of basket.

Reactions: Con and JDCrimson

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
In 2 of those that same team got to the Final Four as well, so not like those teams were not good and got destroyed by other teams. 2 of those teams were one of the better teams in the country on defense and all 3 were teams that like to control the pace and keep the game low scoring. Teams that run like us have trouble with teams that slow it down it doesn’t really matter who you are if you can’t hit few shots and get them playing at your pace. The good thing with those type of teams is if you can get up on them and force them to speed up they are playing into your hand. One or two plays in that second half could have completely flipped it to our pace especially when we went on that run. Unfortunately they hit a three and then we lost concentration a few possessions and let them back into it. Then they made a few shots which makes it hard to run if you have to take ball out of basket.
Agreed but we are going to run into those teams every single tournament.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
One more thing to note ... almost all the teams we lost to this season we primarily made up of upperclassmen. We beat expectations for the regular season with our youth. But I do have to think experience had to play a part with SDSU.

If all the freshmen on this team came back next season they would be a consensus preseason #1. Know that won't be the case but just pointing out the obvious. The formula works ... we do need to develop at least 2-3 pure shooters that we can count on making 3s. We had at least 8 guys that could make 3s but only one that could consistently make them when they were needed.

I was also encouraged about how we used the bigs with alleyoop plays. Throw in a couple of backdoor cuts to the basket by our 3 4 and 5 spots and that will help produce offense when the 3s aren't falling.

Reactions: Con and CB4

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
As disappointed as I am for the end of the season, the surface question to me is whether Oats needs to adjust philosophy at all. There’s no doubt that we went cold at the wrong time. But does that mean the philosophy is unsound?

That’s the surface question. The core question is around officiating.

As in, is thugball the thing of the future? Kind of like the basketball equivalent of football officials’ interpretation of the OL downfield rule?

If so, Oats will have to adjust in the same manner that Saban adjusted to the real-world interpretation of the OL downfield rule…which led directly to the basketball on grass movement.

If not, we need to have a real consensus among Presidents (who really set the rules), coaches (who ostensibly set the rules), and officials (who enforce / interpret rules set by others) that what was allowed this year will not be allowed in the future.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and dayhiker

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The trend in all sports is to favor offense from an entertainment perspective. Thugball reduces offense and scoring and TV ratings. This isnt a rules problem, its an officiating problem. Hand checking was targeted a few years ago but that has receded now. Emphasis is now needed on moving screens, offensive player initiated contact. Something really needs to be done about officiating.

As disappointed as I am for the end of the season, the surface question to me is whether Oats needs to adjust philosophy at all. There’s no doubt that we went cold at the wrong time. But does that mean the philosophy is unsound?

As in, is thugball the thing of the future? Kind of like the basketball equivalent of football officials’ interpretation of the OL downfield rule?

If so, Oats will have to adjust in the same manner that Saban adjusted to the real-world interpretation of the OL downfield rule…which led directly to the basketball on grass movement.

If not, we need to have a real consensus among Presidents (who really set the rules), coaches (who ostensibly set the rules), and officials (who enforce / interpret rules set by others) that what was allowed this year will not be allowed in the future.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM

If ratings for the F4 plummet as badly as the E8 did, they'll either start to correct the rugby/goonball/rock fight/"physical"/boxing match/thugball game they have now or work overtime to come up with new euphemisms for it.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

Jay Bilas had a thing on twitter this morning about how physical the game has gotten and that he thinks it won't change until there is a crisis of some sort.

Edit:
Here it is:

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and UAH

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
One more thing to note ... almost all the teams we lost to this season we primarily made up of upperclassmen. We beat expectations for the regular season with our youth. But I do have to think experience had to play a part with SDSU.

If all the freshmen on this team came back next season they would be a consensus preseason #1. Know that won't be the case but just pointing out the obvious. The formula works ... we do need to develop at least 2-3 pure shooters that we can count on making 3s. We had at least 8 guys that could make 3s but only one that could consistently make them when they were needed.

I was also encouraged about how we used the bigs with alleyoop plays. Throw in a couple of backdoor cuts to the basket by our 3 4 and 5 spots and that will help produce offense when the 3s aren't falling.
I heard Richard Hendrix, former Alabama player that does color on some broadcasts, make this very point. When you get to the tournament, that experience factor looms large.

Hendrix seemed to think that, as a coach, you almost have to make a decision on how many possible “one and done” players you bring in versus players you can keep in the program/system (and out of the portal) for 2-3 years to give you that consistency and leadership. Then, as a coach, you also have to figure out who you can bring in via transfer that mesh with what you’re trying to accomplish and the team as whole. No easy task these days.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Jay Bilas had a thing on twitter this morning about how physical the game has gotten and that he thinks it won't change until there is a crisis of some sort.

Edit:
Here it is:
My opinion on Bilas has changed. I formerly thought he was a sanctimonious blowhard. As time has gone on, I have appreciated his candor more and more.

He’s willing to call out the media as well as the game itself, and his positions are well-reasoned and articulately stated.

Whereas before I tuned him out, now I turn up the volume when he speaks.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I heard Richard Hendrix, former Alabama player that does color on some broadcasts, make this very point. When you get to the tournament, that experience factor looms large.

Hendrix seemed to think that, as a coach, you almost have to make a decision on how many possible “one and done” players you bring in versus players you can keep in the program/system (and out of the portal) for 2-3 years to give you that consistency and leadership. Then, as a coach, you also have to figure out who you can bring in via transfer that mesh with what you’re trying to accomplish and the team as whole. No easy task these days.
I think Sears, Bradley and Griffin can help with that next year (Clowney if he stays, but doubt it).

I'd like to double down that Bradley has got to elevate his game to be able to at least be accountable as a 3 point shooting threat. He may never shoot 35-40%, but it he could be a threat to just make 1 or 2 a game it changes how a team defends us. As of now, they don't have to worry about working over screens. I hope he's wearing out the 3 point line in off season shooting drills!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just looking at the box score, 23-71 with 3-27 from 3. That's about 45% from 2. I know it's not this simple, but shooting 2's on half of those 3's and getting 45% would have been really nice.
I know you already know this, but this is where CNO's dependence on analytics comes in.

Sure, in hindsight a game when 3's don't fall seems to suggest we should shoot more 2's, but his whole formula depends on a mixture of 2's and 3's. The 2's open up the outside and the 3's make driving for 2 work better.

In the final analysis, however, it's like I posted to a friend's FB post after the SDSU game: cold shooting is undefeated. No matter the team, if shots don't fall you lose. FWIW, Creighton had the same issue in their game. Think they were something like 0-10 from 3 pt at some point in the game. They kept it close, but as we found out, it's hard to win when it won't fall!

Reactions: CrimSonami

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.