Game Thread: Braves vs Phillies Game 1

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Coach Saban would love both Snitker and Smith because of their "consistency of performance". Snitker always calls on Smith if he is available and Smith almost always delivers a "thrilling" performance.

On a more serious note: what would the Braves have done without Soler and Duvall? They would likely have at least 6 fewer wins and thus be "out of the playoffs".

Morton comes through again in a big moment in his career. He did this for Houston in playoffs and especially the WS.

Fried has been terrific down the stretch, giving up 4 runs in 4 starts averaging 7.0 IP, Braves are 4-0; including 0 runs, 7 base runners, incredible WHIP of 0.4375 in 16 IP in his last 2 starts vs SF and SD who are number 1 and 7 in NL in team OPS, i.e., good offensive lineups.

Because of them the Braves could make a little noise in the playoffs. Anderson is a decent-good 3rd starter and until his last couple of starts Ynoa seemed worthy of being a Game 4 starter. But Atlanta has trouble hitting great pitching (everyone has more trouble of course, but it "seems" like the Braves are worse than most, though I don't really know). This is where they will really miss Acuna, who can hit anyone. Atlanta usually murders mediocre pitching. Mil has great pitching but the Braves could have success vs their offense too.
The more excruciating thing is that even without Acuna and Soroka this team is still capable of winning the NL. This is not homer talk. They can compete with the NL West big dogs and should have two series wins over both but Snitker’s moronic bullpen decisions costed Morton and Fried two more wins.

We couldn’t ask for a better matchup in a potential NLDS than the Brewers. So really anything is possible for this team if the manager doesn’t get in the way… but what hope is there of that happening? I was shocked he actually called an intentional walk on McCutchen.

Reactions: BamaInBham

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The more excruciating thing is that even without Acuna and Soroka this team is still capable of winning the NL. This is not homer talk.
Yeah, it is homer talk. I am hoping for the best, but the Dodgers and Giants are much better that the Braves without Acuna and Soroka, and the results on the diamond this season prove it. The Braves had 1 great month all season - August. The rest has been mediocrity.

• Thank You
Reactions: tusks_n_raider

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I have mentioned how much I HATE Will Smith right?

I looked over on Reddit to see if I'm crazy and while that's yet TBD I did find validation for my feelings...

x20h4oovlcq71.jpg

62nvc0fepcq71.jpg

IF we make the Playoffs I can pretty much guarantee we will be up 1-2 runs in a pivotal swing game in the NLDS vs the Brewers and out will trot Will Smith....

He WILL walk 1-2 Batters AND WILL throw a Meatball that gets crushed to the Andromeda Galaxy to send the Braves spiraling and Milwaukee into the NLCS.

You absolutely can't fly this close to the sun for this long without getting Torched.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah, it is homer talk. I am hoping for the best, but the Dodgers and Giants are much better that the Braves without Acuna and Soroka, and the results on the diamond this season prove it. The Braves had 1 great month all season - August. The rest has been mediocrity.
Yet we have totally OWNED them without both. We lost 2 of 3 vs the Dodgers on the road because of late stupidity vs both otherwise we would have been 4 of 7 vs the Dodgers and 5 of 7 vs the Giants in the season series. The Giants never saw Acuna.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yet we have totally OWNED them without both. We lost 2 of 3 vs the Dodgers on the road because of late stupidity vs both otherwise we would have been 4 of 7 vs the Dodgers and 5 of 7 vs the Giants in the season series. The Giants never saw Acuna.
The playoff is different. Teams will only see the opponent's best starters in every game. The Braves would literally have zero games in which they would have the better starter match-up. And the Braves bullpen is worse.

The Braves can score with anyone when the bats are hot. But pitching is a huge problem in the playoffs against those two teams.

Reactions: 81usaf92

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The playoff is different. Teams will only see the opponent's best starters in every game. The Braves would literally have zero games in which they would have the better starter match-up. And the Braves bullpen is worse.

The Braves can score with anyone when the bats are hot. But pitching is a huge problem in the playoffs against those two teams.
Im not saying we are going to do it, but what I am is saying it’s not as impossible as many think. I think there is a high likelihood that the loser of the NL West is in for a tough do or die game right off the bat vs the Cards, and that is more than likely the Dodgers.

Out of the two I rather face the Giants because they truly are a team that overachieved with an inferior roster. But first things first… we got to beat the Phillies to October and then the Brewers.

Reactions: B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am hoping for the best, but the Dodgers and Giants are much better that the Braves
Its looking more and more that the Dodgers are in serious trouble. They aren’t near the same team for some reason as last year. Their hitters are struggling with good pitching. I’m not so sure that they survive the Cardinals in one game at this point.

The Dodgers’s season pretty much is Scherzer. I think they may have lost their edge. Yeah I’m talking about a 100 win team but there is just something wrong with them. They almost feel like a better Phillies team.

But like I said earlier. The Braves need to turn out the lights on the Phillies and get ready for the Brew Crew.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.