Link: Brett surfaces again...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
sometimes I miss the debates. I had some fun ones with BiB that I am sure the slate reporters had fun reading. Same with 86 and NYBF but I also see how they weren't worth the mods troubles and we are better off without them
The thing with NYBF was with his self-promotion. “I met Queen Elizabeth while rowing the Pacific in a canoe” isn’t that far from his usual pronouncements.

• Haha
Reactions: seebell and 92tide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He worked for the Romney campaign--IIRC he was a speechwriter.
This doesn't really surprise me given his locale at the time (I believe he was a Harvard student of Jerkowitz IIRC).

How do you go from Romney, the last of the Rockefeller republicans and arguably a few baby steps to the right of Biden, to all-in with trump?
Well, I would argue (here we go) that when we're talking so-called personal politics/ideology, there isn't that much difference between Romney and Trump IN THIS SENSE ONLY: I don't think either has any core beliefs at all beyond "I want to hold public office." I'm obviously not comparing the corrupt monster that Trump was with Romney on a personal level. But Romney's "beliefs" such as they can be ascertained vacillate from group to group, day to day, and pollster to pollster - in all honesty, he was a Republican Bill Clinton but without the charisma and political skills to pull it off. Indeed - and lightning is about to strike me - BILL Clinton was more consistent in his views than Romney was.

What I'm saying is, I don't think Romney and Trump - in terms of any sort of ideological core - are nearly as far apart as folks presume, which is largely why I didn't vote for Mitt. Obviously, Mitt doesn't have the childish, temperamental, drug addicted narcissistic corrupt blood Trump does. Indeed - three candidates with whom I've been VERY impressed when I saw them after their losing campaigns were Romney, Gore, and Dukakis. I'm like "gee, I would vote for that guy, but you acted like I had something to fear when I found out what you really believed about things." Romney is almost like a slightly to the right version of Ed Muskie, a centrist who fears where the primary voters might push him.

IIRC - and I'm pretty sure I do - @81usaf92 is correct. Brett was not exactly on the Trump Train when it left the station, but he hopped on like the "King of the Road" when Trump stopped at the next station to look in the mirror at what he looked like wearing a general's uniform. He was even honest that that nuclear bomb Chris Christie unleashed on Rubio could have been said - literally - about every single candidate on stage. I also recall he despised Ted Cruz and told us all that so did every other Republican in the Senate. But he also took up for Cruz when Trump (again - OF ALL people!) accused Cruz of cheating on his wife, saying he knew the names and he didn't believe any of them were actually involved with Cruz.

His hopping on the Trump train makes me wonder if he really believed that polls were showing Mitt was going to win or if he was just snowballing us because that's what people in politics do. I'm inclined with ten years' experience post-meeting to think it's the latter.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I remember he worked with the political consultant Stuart Stevens on the Romney campaign.
Stevens now makes regular national tv appearances and is an extreme critic of what the entire GOP party has devolved into.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
we actually debated that here a little in 15 and I was shocked that he was so into Trump. I kept telling him that Trump support would taint his career, he didn't care but I am betting it was because the wife was already locked into her job, making America's lower courts evil again.
Jon,

This is one I really go back and forth on the more I read from reporters and books about the Regime.

I take the view (I think) you're saying here - that working for Trump was and is a compromise of every professed belief/ideology and even character - and basically that if you lie down with a dog, you get fleas.

But I'm a tiny bit maybe.....oh I don't know the word....but supposedly several folks in the government with Trump (Mattis was supposed to be one) basically saying, "Yeah, he's nuts, but maybe I can keep him from totally blowing up the world." For whatever reason, I've gotten to the point I can intellectually assent to "well, okay, I think I know what you're saying, you want to be a buffer" - but I just don't get why anyone would think it was possible to even be in Trump's orbit without suffering the residue thrown by the skunk.

EVERYONE knew what he was - even before the "Access Hollywood" tape. Brett may have been misguided/extreme/whatever, but he wasn't DUMB, either.

That's what I can't get. I don't understand how anyone can look at Trump and think "hey maybe I can stop something" and not realize that when he blows up the world anyway, he's going to find a way to blame it on you.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This doesn't really surprise me given his locale at the time (I believe he was a Harvard student of Jerkowitz IIRC).

Well, I would argue (here we go) that when we're talking so-called personal politics/ideology, there isn't that much difference between Romney and Trump IN THIS SENSE ONLY: I don't think either has any core beliefs at all beyond "I want to hold public office." I'm obviously not comparing the corrupt monster that Trump was with Romney on a personal level. But Romney's "beliefs" such as they can be ascertained vacillate from group to group, day to day, and pollster to pollster - in all honesty, he was a Republican Bill Clinton but without the charisma and political skills to pull it off. Indeed - and lightning is about to strike me - BILL Clinton was more consistent in his views than Romney was.

What I'm saying is, I don't think Romney and Trump - in terms of any sort of ideological core - are nearly as far apart as folks presume, which is largely why I didn't vote for Mitt. Obviously, Mitt doesn't have the childish, temperamental, drug addicted narcissistic corrupt blood Trump does. Indeed - three candidates with whom I've been VERY impressed when I saw them after their losing campaigns were Romney, Gore, and Dukakis. I'm like "gee, I would vote for that guy, but you acted like I had something to fear when I found out what you really believed about things." Romney is almost like a slightly to the right version of Ed Muskie, a centrist who fears where the primary voters might push him.

IIRC - and I'm pretty sure I do - @81usaf92 is correct. Brett was not exactly on the Trump Train when it left the station, but he hopped on like the "King of the Road" when Trump stopped at the next station to look in the mirror at what he looked like wearing a general's uniform. He was even honest that that nuclear bomb Chris Christie unleashed on Rubio could have been said - literally - about every single candidate on stage. I also recall he despised Ted Cruz and told us all that so did every other Republican in the Senate. But he also took up for Cruz when Trump (again - OF ALL people!) accused Cruz of cheating on his wife, saying he knew the names and he didn't believe any of them were actually involved with Cruz.

His hopping on the Trump train makes me wonder if he really believed that polls were showing Mitt was going to win or if he was just snowballing us because that's what people in politics do. I'm inclined with ten years' experience post-meeting to think it's the latter.
IIRC I do remember Brett condemning Trump for the Luntz interview and saying that “no true Republican will ever vote for him after what he just said”. But he kinda changed his tune after Trump won New Hampshire and Jeb got out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I remember he worked with the political consultant Stuart Stevens on the Romney campaign.
Stevens now makes regular national tv appearances and is an extreme critic of what the entire GOP party has devolved into.
Yeah, but pardon me for viewing Stevens as the same opportunistic pathogen as any other political hack who has a "Paul on the Road to Damascus" experience and then uses his conversion to interpret everything both he and everyone else ever did.

When it was a couple of tweets, it was funny.

He went so far overboard on his tweeting, it was difficult to tell if he was posting from a bar or from a mental facility where they forgot to take his phone away from him.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The thing with NYBF was with his self-promotion. “I met Queen Elizabeth while rowing the Pacific in a canoe” isn’t that far from his usual pronouncements.
"The Most Interesting Man in the World" ad series was no doubt based upon NYBF.

I play tennis by myself.
I dated Kate Upton before she ever posed for the SI swimsuit issue.
I once was a foreign minister in another country, but I'm sworn to secrecy at part of WITSEC.
I killed the real life Tommy DeSimone (Pesci in "Goodfellas" for those who don't know)
I led SEAL Team Six into Pakistan to get Bin Laden.
I discovered binary fusion in my basement but was interrupted by my Velociraptor.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Jon,

This is one I really go back and forth on the more I read from reporters and books about the Regime.

I take the view (I think) you're saying here - that working for Trump was and is a compromise of every professed belief/ideology and even character - and basically that if you lie down with a dog, you get fleas.

But I'm a tiny bit maybe.....oh I don't know the word....but supposedly several folks in the government with Trump (Mattis was supposed to be one) basically saying, "Yeah, he's nuts, but maybe I can keep him from totally blowing up the world." For whatever reason, I've gotten to the point I can intellectually assent to "well, okay, I think I know what you're saying, you want to be a buffer" - but I just don't get why anyone would think it was possible to even be in Trump's orbit without suffering the residue thrown by the skunk.

EVERYONE knew what he was - even before the "Access Hollywood" tape. Brett may have been misguided/extreme/whatever, but he wasn't DUMB, either.

That's what I can't get. I don't understand how anyone can look at Trump and think "hey maybe I can stop something" and not realize that when he blows up the world anyway, he's going to find a way to blame it on you.
meh, it was all about power. Brett had no desire to control Trump and I don't believe he thought he needed to. He was and is fine with an authoritarian takeover of this country as long as he was in good with the authoritarian of course.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
"The Most Interesting Man in the World" ad series was no doubt based upon NYBF.

I play tennis by myself.
I dated Kate Upton before she ever posed for the SI swimsuit issue.
I once was a foreign minister in another country, but I'm sworn to secrecy at part of WITSEC.
I killed the real life Tommy DeSimone (Pesci in "Goodfellas" for those who don't know)
I led SEAL Team Six into Pakistan to get Bin Laden.
I discovered binary fusion in my basement but was interrupted by my Velociraptor.
Nah, the Kate Upton thing isn't true. He was always assuring all of us that he conquered way hotter women than that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wish we could have a "Back for one day only" day on Non-Sports.

Bring back NYBF, Nan, Dr. Niles Johannsen, Pyro.
Pyro drove me insane in 2015 blaming every bad play on Jake Coker.

Spock and Dr who are probably two of the weirder conversation starters in the banned list.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pyro drove me insane in 2015 blaming every bad play on Jake Coker.

Spock and Dr who are probably two of the weirder conversation starters in the banned list.
Our disciplinary actions are private, but some of these guys, I've practically begged to straighten up and fly right. Nobody but spammers and hostile rival fans gets banned with one post. Also, we now have the ability to ban selectively from each board. There are some who are fine on FB but can't handle disagreement here. I can also cut off emoticons, to eliminate backdoor posting. We didn't used to have that flexibility...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.