News Article: Brian Kelly to LSU (officially hired)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Also, as I said earlier in the thread, I fully expect Auburn and Alabama to be moved to the east which will FULLY benefit LSU. The east will then have Alabama, Florida, & Georgia on top of the always a thorn in the side Auburn.
I think it balances things to some degree. Or at least is should, provided OU and Texas actually compete.

LSU, OU, Texas, Texas A&M feels like it balances with Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn.

I realize Alabama is the absolute elephant in any room it enters right now. But over time, that looks like two balanced divisions to me.

Of course, the SEC could blow everything up and go no divisions or 4 quadrants.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Reminds me of playing cards one night while I was in the Navy. I'm hearing all these NY, NJ, New England accents and finally, after a few too many shooters, I blurted out is there anybody in this (expletive) room from the south. A guy stands up, and I swear he could have been Frankie Avalon's younger brother, and he says he's from the south, so I thinking this is great. So I say where in the south, and he replies "South Philly".

Last edited:

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Brian Kelly is too nice to be the head coach of LSU Football. There's not an ounce of ruthlessness in his whole plentiful frame.

And when he hears that nasty cheer they do in the stands... he's gonna want a shower and find someone to hear his confession. +
"Nice" is probably the last word most people who really know him would use to describe him. There are plenty of stories out there, but here was one I randomly ran across this morning:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think it balances things to some degree. Or at least is should, provided OU and Texas actually compete.

LSU, OU, Texas, Texas A&M feels like it balances with Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn.

I realize Alabama is the absolute elephant in any room it enters right now. But over time, that looks like two balanced divisions to me.

Can the East keep Missouri and the West keep the Cow College? Then they only have to take the butt-whoopin' every four years or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: TideEngineer08

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
"Nice" is probably the last word most people who really know him would use to describe him. There are plenty of stories out there, but here was one I randomly ran across this morning:

I'm not really sure what the point of the Demovsky story is. Should I not hire college students to do a job? If I hire them, should I not expect them to actually do that job? Should I not hire future NFL stars to shovel snow and park cars? If so, how can I be sure college student X will end up a star in the NFL?
I am not sure what inferences about Kelly I should draw from this story.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Way too early thought on the matter is that LSU messed up with this hire. That’s good news for Alabama. Roll Tide!
I do not know. He seems like a smart enough coach. In his last job, it had dawned on him that the ceiling was in a good year, he would get his team into the playoffs and get its backside kicked in the first round.
LSU has demonstrated that a not very good coach can win a national championship there. What might a decent coach do?
I think the cultural fit may not be right. Kelly is going to have to recalibrate his moral compass in terms of what shenanigans a player can get away with and remain on the team. I suspect at ND, the answer was "not much." in Red Stick (if Coach O's conduct is any indicator), the answer might be, "Quite a lot." Then again, the NCAA may drop the hammer in the not too distant future, in which case, there will be a few lean years in Red Stick.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I bet.
When I was an undergrad at Bama, I was working in a factory in Houston with no air conditioning, bed-loading trucks in the sun. Whoa, Nelly, was it toasty.
I worked the summer of 1974 building a highway across central Arkansas...talk about hot...tying steel, pouring concrete, and laying asphalt. I determined never to do that again...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I worked the summer of 1974 building a highway across central Arkansas...talk about hot...tying steel, pouring concrete, and laying asphalt. I determined never to do that again...
There are some jobs you do and besides the salary, the most valuable thing that comes out of it is a determination to never have to work a job like that.
With my son, it was working at a nursery (plant nursery), in Kansas in January. His co-worker was a one-armed man in his 70s when was working there because he had to. My son determined never to find himself in a position in which he had to work at a job like that.

• Heart
Reactions: Padreruf

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

You think? If I'm LSU or TAMU I'm doing backflips with that arrangement and if I'm UF or UGA I'm losing my mind.

Granted, I'm biased to Alabama but I also think OU and Texas having success in the SEC is far from guaranteed. They are both in absolute shambles right now and in the case of Texas have been for a decade with no sign of knowing how to fix it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You think? If I'm LSU or TAMU I'm doing backflips with that arrangement and if I'm UF or UGA I'm losing my mind.

Granted, I'm biased to Alabama but I also think OU and Texas having success in the SEC is far from guaranteed. They are both in absolute shambles right now and in the case of Texas have been for a decade with no sign of knowing how to fix it.
Over time I think it works. Alabama is a massive anomaly right now so we are going to suck all the oxygen out of either division. Over time though, I think that balances out.

I do agree that neither Texas nor OU is anywhere close to guaranteed to win that division. I’d favor LSU and A&M right now, and even Ole Miss as long as Lane is there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.