Question: Can any of our WR’s “take the top off” opposing defenses?

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
IMO, right now we are having issues because of the new OL and trying to run too deep of a route. I believe we will see improvement as the season progresses.
This may be the case. It seemed like the offense started to do better in the 4th quarter against Texas
when BoB started calling for shorter pass routes.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I believe we do have guys who can get deep but are not out there right now, the o- line is a work in progress as of now and as I believe BOB is good OC he's game is suited for the NFL because of the down field passing game

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Yes he was sitting next to Coach Moore.

I remember walking past him at an Albertville vs. Boaz game about 20 years ago. I'm 6'1" and he towered over me. Heck he towered over everyone in the crowd.
Probably more like 50+years ago. I went to the Alabama Relays as a track athlete in high school. John Hannah was there doing the shot put for Alabama (both colleges and high schools were at the event). John was sitting in a folding chair that looked like it would give way any second. But what really caught my eye was his calf muscles were so massive that his track pants leg zippers could not be zipped.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
More “separation” in the Vandy game, a good sign.
The WR I was most pleased with is Brooks #7. He appeared to be locked in and play full go the entire game and when he does that, the kid can be dominating. At 6'2" and appearing to be a little over 200 lbs, he could be a nightmare for anybody to cover and that was evident in the Vandy game.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
The WR I was most pleased with is Brooks #7. He appeared to be locked in and play full go the entire game and when he does that, the kid can be dominating. At 6'2" and appearing to be a little over 200 lbs, he could be a nightmare for anybody to cover and that was evident in the Vandy game.
Agreed. Brooks showed how special he can be during the Auburn game last year.

Reactions: tideindc

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Agreed. Brooks showed how special he can be during the Auburn game last year.
Yep. All the talking heads have been wondering who is going to replace Metchie and/or J Williams. Well, this kid has the potential to be dominant, maybe a little different type of dominant, but dominant nonetheless.

Last edited:

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
The most obvious answer right now is we have no idea if anyone can take the top off of a defense, but Harrell is faster than Jameson Williams. He ran a 4.24 time 40 at a Louisville pro day in 2021. He is my hope for a deep threat the remainder of the year. Here is a reminder of his speed. Yes, I realize it is Wake Forest but watch other highlights. Nobody is keeping up with this speed.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
The most obvious answer right now is we have no idea if anyone can take the top off of a defense, but Harrell is faster than Jameson Williams. He ran a 4.24 time 40 at a Louisville pro day in 2021. He is my hope for a deep threat the remainder of the year. Here is a reminder of his speed. Yes, I realize it is Wake Forest but watch other highlights. Nobody is keeping up with this speed.

Isaiah Bond did the 100 in 10.48. That's about 4.19 in the 40. If he learns separation and can catch, he'll be a deep throw threat. Christian Leary does the 40 in 4.39. Ja'Corey Brooks fastest 40 was 4.36. Kobe Prentice has a 4.38 in the 40. Brooks isn't quite as fast as Harrell, but he can get separation and catch long throws. It will be nice to see Harrell on the field.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and Padreruf

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
How likely is it that we may see Tyler Harrell this weekend against Arkansas?
I hope we see him. But even if we do, it will have been his first game action in some time.

IOW, assuming Harrell plays Saturday, I don’t think it’s realistic to expect game-changing impact.

It could happen. And I could hit the 40 Billion to 1 PowerBall.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I hope we see him. But even if we do, it will have been his first game action in some time.

IOW, assuming Harrell plays Saturday, I don’t think it’s realistic to expect game-changing impact.

It could happen. And I could hit the 40 Billion to 1 PowerBall.
I think that's one of the most common sense post and I agree 100 percent.

I also want to add that and it's my opinion that Speed isn't always the answer. I think time to time it can be overrated. Don't get me wrong, Speed help if it benefits the offense. I care more about the ability to get in and get out of break, body control, ability to cut violently on their routes. Anyone can do that with proper coaching, and speed won't matter, but if you have speed on top of that, then it's a big benefit.

I don't think we need anyone on the Bama offense to take the top off the defense. I just want everyone to run their routes right, and ability to get open. That's all I care about. We saw that against Vandy. Deep ball is there. It's been there. We just need to get QB and WRs on same page. It'll come.

Arkansas is likely to do same thing as last year... prevent deep passes, and we'll likely to dink and dunk throughout the field... lot of short passes.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think that's one of the most common sense post and I agree 100 percent.

I also want to add that and it's my opinion that Speed isn't always the answer. I think time to time it can be overrated. Don't get me wrong, Speed help if it benefits the offense. I care more about the ability to get in and get out of break, body control, ability to cut violently on their routes. Anyone can do that with proper coaching, and speed won't matter, but if you have speed on top of that, then it's a big benefit.

I don't think we need anyone on the Bama offense to take the top off the defense. I just want everyone to run their routes right, and ability to get open. That's all I care about. We saw that against Vandy. Deep ball is there. It's been there. We just need to get QB and WRs on same page. It'll come.

Arkansas is likely to do same thing as last year... prevent deep passes, and we'll likely to dink and dunk throughout the field... lot of short passes.
Agreed, speed in and of itself doesn't translate to big plays and more points on the board. Because as we've experienced, a team can "Hunter Renfrow" you all the way down the field. I think at a minimum, we have enough talent at WR that even if we don't have a "take the top off the defense" type WR, we can still beat teams with our WR's. Just too much talent not to.

Reactions: JustNeedMe81

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Agreed, speed in and of itself doesn't translate to big plays and more points on the board. Because as we've experienced, a team can "Hunter Renfrow" you all the way down the field. I think at a minimum, we have enough talent at WR that even if we don't have a "take the top off the defense" type WR, we can still beat teams with our WR's. Just too much talent not to.
Agreed, but it is far easier to defend a short field, which you always have if you have no vertical threats.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.