News Article: Can the Colorado River keep on running?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Like a lot of these articles it largely places the onus on individual actions while ignoring the drastic impacts of industry. Individuals can help but in general homes tend to use a fraction of the water as industries.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Like a lot of these articles it largely places the onus on individual actions while ignoring the drastic impacts of industry. Individuals can help but in general homes tend to use a fraction of the water as industries.
Why do you hate America?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Fifteenessee
Dang, I'm not supposed to rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher? This is going to be a high leap for me.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Like a lot of these articles it largely places the onus on individual actions while ignoring the drastic impacts of industry. Individuals can help but in general homes tend to use a fraction of the water as industries
Yeah stop eating almonds. The California agriculture practice are mostly to blame, and to a lesser extend bottle water plants that pull from the municipal supplies out West.

TexasBama

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
In Texas, the single biggest source of new water in the State Water Plan is water conservation. Of that, the biggest source is irrigation conservation. I hope the folks out there are taking the same tack.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If California growers would copy the water practices of Israel, a lot of the problem would be solved. Some of the problem also is that cities have been built and allowed to grow where cities never should have been in the first place. That being the situation, the only answer is for the price of water to go up, way up...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Interesting facts
1 gallon - the amount of water it takes to produce one almond nut
10% - The amount of CA's water supply used to produce almond
19% - The total percentage of CA energy production used to pump water to places with no water (to HSV's point above about building cities where they shouldn't be.)

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Dang, I'm not supposed to rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher? This is going to be a high leap for me.
Water prices have gone up here in Madison and will climb higher as the population increases. I have become increasingly conscious and recently began to use brown water to water garden plants and flowers. We recently invested in a diy drip irrigation system to begin to install in the Fall. The next logical step will be to capture rain water for use in the garden although that requires a bit of doing due to the shear amount of rain we receive in the spring. How can that be conserved to utilize in August/September? As stated earlier regarding business usage a car wash probably uses more in an hour than we do in a year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The problem is that dishwashers are no longer designed to wash really dirty dishes and get them clean without clogging up. There's an old thread I put up with what the inside bottom of my dishwasher looked like after only six months of use and the dishes rinsed - full of something resembling chocolate pudding. Somehow, Trump's magic wand granting us more water in it didn't reach around here...

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama and B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Water prices have gone up here in Madison and will climb higher as the population increases. I have become increasingly conscious and recently began to use brown water to water garden plants and flowers. We recently invested in a diy drip irrigation system to begin to install in the Fall. The next logical step will be to capture rain water for use in the garden although that requires a bit of doing due to the shear amount of rain we receive in the spring. How can that be conserved to utilize in August/September? As stated earlier regarding business usage a car wash probably uses more in an hour than we do in a year.
We have three rain barrels, but, even with the heavy spring (54.5" on 8/1 up here), they're empty long before the fall rains start...

Reactions: MattinBama and UAH

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
If California growers would copy the water practices of Israel, a lot of the problem would be solved. Some of the problem also is that cities have been built and allowed to grow where cities never should have been in the first place. That being the situation, the only answer is for the price of water to go up, way up...
Water prices will no doubt skyrocket going forward - along with food prices (both from increased water costs & increasing climate related crop failures - which has already started).

I fully believe we will start seeing water wars in the next decade or two. We’re already seeing escalating tensions over countries building dams that block the flow down river as well as groundwater reserves running out in India lending to increased border tensions over disputed lands.

• Thank You

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah stop eating almonds. The California agriculture practice are mostly to blame, and to a lesser extend bottle water plants that pull from the municipal supplies out West.
It may have been the Netflix series Broken that was showing that beekeepers all over the country haul their hives to California each year for pollination. A crazy waste of resources & evidently an extreme stressor on the bees.

Ultimately there are no good choices as industrialized dairy farming isn’t good for the environment either. Part of the joy of pushing infinite growth on a finite planet.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It may have been the Netflix series Broken that was showing that beekeepers all over the country haul their hives to California each year for pollination. A crazy waste of resources & evidently an extreme stressor on the bees.

Water prices will no doubt skyrocket going forward - along with food prices (both from increased water costs & increasing climate related crop failures - which has already started).

I fully believe we will start seeing water wars in the next decade or two. We’re already seeing escalating tensions over countries building dams that block the flow down river as well as groundwater reserves running out in India lending to increased border tensions over disputed lands.
Water wars are not new. They go back to when farmers from the Middle East moved into Europe and displaced hunter-gatherers...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Water wars are not new. They go back to when farmers from the Middle East moved into Europe and displaced hunter-gatherers...
No doubt but I expect them to become increasingly more vicious & desperate as sources like glaciers & mountaintop freezes start drying up (another process that has already begun around the world).

• Thank You