Catchers Balk

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Looking for input on a catchers balk. Never saw it called but had a HS game tonight that the catcher was completely out of his box before the pitch. I yelled out about it and the ump said something to the catcher. No penalty was given.
Has anyone ever seen it called?

bama_fan01

Hall of Fame
Aug 25, 2003
Ranburne, AL, USA
I umpired a long time, and never saw it or called it. According to the rule book, the catcher must be in the catcher's box at the time of the pitch. Having at least 1 foot on the line is considered inside the box. Best I can come up with.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I umpired a long time, and never saw it or called it. According to the rule book, the catcher must be in the catcher's box at the time of the pitch. Having at least 1 foot on the line is considered inside the box. Best I can come up with.
Digging some more on it, this used to be called more when you had to throw four pitches to intentionally walk a batter, and the catcher would just stand wide to accept the pitch. But it can also be called if a catcher steps in front of the plate without the ball on a squeeze play. There’s videos online of it being called. One is a college game where there was an attempt to steal home and the catcher jumped in front of the batter to receive the ball and tag the runner for out 3. Commenters didn’t know the rule. Umps talked it over and brought the teams back out of the dugouts.

Reactions: crimsonkelly

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.