Cecil Hurt has Passed Away

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Heartbreaking news for all who love the Tide - read him since 1986 and loved his wit, his elegant turns of phrase, and the tantalizing sense that he knew something you didn’t (because he did). By all accounts he was as gracious a person as he was a writer. Reading about the Tide’s high and lows just won’t be the same without his perspective. RIP, Cecil, we will miss you.

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
I had the chance to have a nice chat with him while he was visiting here in Mississippi. Never forgot it and always read his work. A huge lost! Bless him and his family.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
When I hear the voice and manor of speaking of Verne Lundquist, I think of SEC football, the same can be said for Cecil and BAMA football, they seemed to be one and the same. Goodbye Cecil, we will miss you.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Yesterday, my oldest son who is in the news business also, texted me and said, “Cecil died.” What a gut punch! I knew immediately who he spoke of. Thank you Cecil - the Bama Nation loves you! May God bless your family during this time of loss.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
I remember very well - and with great fondness - picking up the Tuscaloosa News from the driveway every Sunday morning before church and immediately grabbing the Sports section so I could read Cecil's column. From the time I was 11 or 12 until I moved to Nashville at 24, this was the standard operating procedure every Sunday morning. Then I remember reading his columns online after moving. It was like a little slice of home. I was pretty emotional yesterday when I posted this thread, and still am.

Someone else said "Eli Gold is the Voice of Alabama Football. Cecil Hurt was the Pen." Truer words have never been spoken. This is a huge loss for not only Alabama fans, but also for the journalism profession as a whole. Cecil's family and friends are in my prayers.

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Cecil Hurt was my first introduction to Alabama football. His writing style was so good it just grabbed you from the first paragraph. When he started becoming a guest on call in shows you could just hear his class. He was fair, obviously a fan, but not a homer. He probably knew much more than he ever said or wrote but never glossed over bad news. He never got in the dirt like so many reporters and for that he’s the last in his lineage with that kind of professionalism. He will be sorely missed and this is a gut punch of the highest order. Whoever started the petition naming the press box after him is a fabulous idea. God bless Cecil and his family.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wow, did not know he played for Alabama. What I do know is that I respected him above all media related to UA Sports. He will be sorely missed. RIP Cecil.
Just to be clear, Cecil Hurt the writer didn’t play for Alabama, though he did work in the SID office when he was a student. His dad, also named Cecil Hurt, was the player in the late 1950s.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just to be clear, Cecil Hurt the writer didn’t play for Alabama, though he did work in the SID office when he was a student. His dad, also named Cecil Hurt, was the player in the late 1950s.
Sorry if I weren't clear. Cecil Lamar Hurt, the football player and later pioneer in special education, having founded the program here, was the father. I used "Sr." to try and make that clear but apparently failed. Cecil Hurt, the writer, never used "Jr." or a middle name. As in many other cases, they may not have shared one. Cecil the writer was very proud of his dad's football career...

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Thank you, Cecil. Well done. This quote came to mind:
“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

― Omar Khayyám

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.