Question: Cecil Hurt

J0eW

Scout Team
Jul 18, 2020
I believe that I have seen Cecil on video within the last year, maybe within the last six months. However today, I opened up the Tuscaloosa News and saw him. At first I did not recognize him, then he spoke and I realized it was him. If anyone knows the storyline here, please let me know,.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Cecil has put on a lot of weight in the last 5-8 years. By nature, he has always had dark circles under his eyes. Age has turned them both darker and baggier. It has also turned his youthful dark hair almost uniformly gray.

And his personal life has not been entirely neat and tidy. That will age you as well.

I agree that he does not look anything remotely like he did 10 years ago.

Cecil is a highly talented writer. He’s not a highly talented manager of how to get from age 21 to age 65.

J0eW

Scout Team
Jul 18, 2020
Cecil has put on a lot of weight in the last 5-8 years. By nature, he has always had dark circles under his eyes. Age has turned them both darker and baggier. It has also turned his youthful dark hair almost uniformly gray.

And his personal life has not been entirely neat and tidy. That will age you as well.

Cecil is a highly talented writer. He’s not a highly talented manager of how to get from age 21 to age 65.
I greatly respect Cecil's observations and thoughts. I have seen changes in his appearance through the years.

However, I have thought that these changes have been up to date. The video that I saw today was dramatically different than those. In the video he looked quite gaunt and tightly drawn around the face. I am 68 and have seen this look before and it is quite shocking and disturbing. I hope that I am over reacting and all is better than it appears to me.

Cecil, if you happen to see this, take care of yourself.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I greatly respect Cecil's observations and thoughts. I have seen changes in his appearance through the years.

However, I have thought that these changes have been up to date. The video that I saw today was dramatically different than those. In the video he looked quite gaunt and tightly drawn around the face. I am 68 and have seen this look before and it is quite shocking and disturbing. I hope that I am over reacting and all is better than it appears to me.

Cecil, if you happen to see this, take care of yourself.
If he’s gaunt, that’s a recent development. I saw him in Publix last summer, and he was still heavy.

Hope it’s just quick and intentional weight loss, and not something more serious.

Reactions: J0eW

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

A few years back, he had a significant health problem. (not a malignancy)...

• Thank You
Reactions: TexasBama

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Sure hope Cecil's well - the man is a national treasure. His is the only twitter feed I follow with any regularity, and I've been reading his columns for the T-News since my student days. He's an excellent writer with a deep institutional knowledge of all things Bama, and I hope the only reason he would retire is to write the definitive behind-the-scenes account of the last 30+ years of Alabama sports.

Reactions: 4Q Basket Case